• Guest - TubeBuddy now has a BLOG! Click Here to learn more!

Video Review Please share your opinion on my new video content.

Hi guys,

Backstory: So I recently started making short films for my channel. I've made 4 so far in the past 4 weeks. When I think of these short films I think of a vlog, film, and visual essay mixed into one. My last 8 videos mark me completely changing the direction of my YT channel.

My main goal with my short films/videos are to make a unique video that entertain, educate, and share my story (hopes, dreams, failures etc..). I think I am getting closer (not 100% there) to achieving all three in each film.
Another goal I am trying to reach is to get these videos to 4 - 5 minutes. At this point it has been very hard to tell a full story in such a short length of time. The first film was 15 minutes and the latest one linked below is a little under 8 minutes (does duration matter?).
So far I haven't really worried about making the videos very searchable (Title wise). The video below is probably the most searchable title wise of the 4 films. My primary focus has been to try to perfect my story-telling. However, eventually I would love to make these videos more searchable so that my channel can continue to grow. Should this be a concern at all or should my only focus be story?

Watching this as someone who know's nothing about me did you find this type of content interesting?

Link to video:
View: https://youtu.be/WI82zdq66hw

Thank you very much for checking out my video and I appreciate any feedback that you can provide.

Link to post I reviewed: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/19234/

Reactions: Damon

George97Hudson

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
This was honestly an incredible video...

My favourite parts:

- The footage you caught around new york was amazing,
- The way you told the story was really interesting, kept me interested enough to watch the whole thing,
- I like how you went back and forth between different mind sets and then finally getting rid of that negativity.

All in all a great video! Well done!

Reactions: ThomasBrown

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
Sweet! $75 gloves just for b-roll, sweet! I wish more creative people/YouTubers went this direction of working on their storytelling. At the end of the day that's what we're all doing. Storytelling around the campfire has been around since the creation dawn of mankind. Motion picture has been around over 100 years. The two marry perfectly in YouTube.

I like the mind bend, inner struggle, and nice use of color to differentiate frames of mind.

I would say don't worry about the length so much. If it feels long, it is long. If it feels short, it is short. The main thing is how much time does it take to tell the story. If it takes 4 minutes fine. If it takes 14 minutes fine. If it takes 54 minutes fine.

You'll learn SEO and all the hacks in time. Most people spend way too much time trying to get subscribers, yet their videos really do suck because they don't care much about storyline, plot, character, point of view, point of attack, inciting incident, you name it.

I would say if you can tell the story without as much voice over the better. Not that what your did was wrong or anything, it's just that letting things unfold, and you, well, voiceover is like salt. If you can taste the salt, it's too much salt.

Keep it up. You have something going here. Again the SEO and hacks and tricks all that back end stuff is meant to optimize your efforts on the front end which is storytelling. Keep going, man!

Reactions: ThomasBrown
OP
OP
ThomasBrown
This was honestly an incredible video...

My favourite parts:

- The footage you caught around new york was amazing,
- The way you told the story was really interesting, kept me interested enough to watch the whole thing,
- I like how you went back and forth between different mind sets and then finally getting rid of that negativity.

All in all a great video! Well done!
Hi George, I am sorry it took me so long to respond. I really appreciate your feedback! Thank you for taking the time to look at my video!

Reactions: George97Hudson
OP
OP
ThomasBrown
Sweet! $75 gloves just for b-roll, sweet! I wish more creative people/YouTubers went this direction of working on their storytelling. At the end of the day that's what we're all doing. Storytelling around the campfire has been around since the creation dawn of mankind. Motion picture has been around over 100 years. The two marry perfectly in YouTube.

I like the mind bend, inner struggle, and nice use of color to differentiate frames of mind.

I would say don't worry about the length so much. If it feels long, it is long. If it feels short, it is short. The main thing is how much time does it take to tell the story. If it takes 4 minutes fine. If it takes 14 minutes fine. If it takes 54 minutes fine.

You'll learn SEO and all the hacks in time. Most people spend way too much time trying to get subscribers, yet their videos really do suck because they don't care much about storyline, plot, character, point of view, point of attack, inciting incident, you name it.

I would say if you can tell the story without as much voice over the better. Not that what your did was wrong or anything, it's just that letting things unfold, and you, well, voiceover is like salt. If you can taste the salt, it's too much salt.

Keep it up. You have something going here. Again the SEO and hacks and tricks all that back end stuff is meant to optimize your efforts on the front end which is storytelling. Keep going, man!
Hi Damon, I really appreciate the feed back!

I will definitely work on limiting the voice over. I don't want to get to the point where I use it too much as a crutch or filler.

I hear you on story over SEO and duration. Oh, and as cold as it was those gloves were worth every penny! lol.

Thanks again!

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Hi Damon, I really appreciate the feed back!

I will definitely work on limiting the voice over. I don't want to get to the point where I use it too much as a crutch or filler.

I hear you on story over SEO and duration. Oh, and as cold as it was those gloves were worth every penny! lol.

Thanks again!
I also think it's important to find a way to incorporate your videos to be searchable I found a way to do that with films, but it's the creators job to make their content discoverable, if not by search, through a good thumbnail to be suggested!

OP
OP
ThomasBrown
I also think it's important to find a way to incorporate your videos to be searchable I found a way to do that with films, but it's the creators job to make their content discoverable, if not by search, through a good thumbnail to be suggested!
Hi Andrew, Yep I am definitely working on finding topics to cover where I can still make the types of videos I want to make but are on topics that people are interested in. It's a work in progress :).

Reactions: Andrew

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
I agree, Andrew. I'm finding that I can make the kinds of content I want, that they want, have it searchable, but it has taken time. Some of us are the sort where we have to learn it one thing at a time. Over the long haul it melds.

What I've found is my audience much prefers the high production value content. I get the best result when the high production value meets a highly searchable, well-placed thumbnail. Much like fishing a whole lot of elements have to come together just to catch even a single fish. It's such a big jigsaw puzzle that it's impossible to get everything at once, but it does come with time.

Last edited: