• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Camera Gear Switch Pod! Joby gorillapod killer?

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
611437672073411370f215c956d865ef_original.gif

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ooster&utm_content=link&utm_campaign=568560d0

Have you seen the switch pod? It looks like a REALLY interesting product! What are your thoughts?

Reactions: Bitbat and Damon

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
Well they've got an endorsement from Peter McKinnon it looks like so that is pretty serious. I do not think it will kill the Joby by any means... Joby being flexible and having brand reputation I just don't see them going anywhere. I do think this is another awesome tool for people to have. I certainly won't be replacing my Joby with it as it looks both thin and spring loaded which concerns me a bit even with the durability claim... I also like how my Joby's weight almost balances out my camera's to an extent. Might be a good product and we'll have to wait and see but I'm not going to be jumping at it as I just don't trust the design.

Reactions: Damon

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
Looks like a nice handheld tripod but not in the same category as the gorilla pod. I like the flexibility of the gorilla pod. I film on uneven surfaces a lot and also use it to wrap around hand rails (particularly good for time lapse in weird places). I rarely use it as a standard tripod.

Reactions: Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
What the heck is switch pod? I keep hearing about it. Got funded in 12 hours or something on Kickstarter. Looks like they've got something people really want.

Greneey

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Nah 100% not for me. I need to be able to attach the camera to "unusual" terrain/situations. The Joby, with his flexible arms, just offer exactly that. Also, the biggest Joby I own is strong enough to hold even a rigged camera.

kunicross

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Nah 100% not for me. I need to be able to attach the camera to "unusual" terrain/situations. The Joby, with his flexible arms, just offer exactly that. Also, the biggest Joby I own is strong enough to hold even a rigged camera.
Yea somhow I can't really see the appeal of the quick expanding tripod unless you sit down on tables quite often (like you carry your cam around and sit down for interviews). I think it maybe has some merit for people who can't setup a permanent recording space and have to bring out all their equipment whenever they want to make a video.

If I could get a stable, low weight tripod which would deploy as fast but much higher that would be something. :D

Reactions: TubeBuddy and Damon
OP
OP
TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Yea somhow I can't really see the appeal of the quick expanding tripod unless you sit down on tables quite often (like you carry your cam around and sit down for interviews). I think it maybe has some merit for people who can't setup a permanent recording space and have to bring out all their equipment whenever they want to make a video.

If I could get a stable, low weight tripod which would deploy as fast but much higher that would be something. :D

I like it more for the handle, but would love to test one out haha

Reactions: kunicross

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Looks flimsy at first sight, though when I got more into the kickstarter, it does look like it can hold weight. The one thing I see it can't do that the gorrilapod can is the ability to adjust and be used on just about any pole.

I don't see why it'll "kill" Joby, consider that they have a big following. That and competition is good lol

Reactions: TubeBuddy

ImpartialGeek

TubeBuddy Legend
cre8orclub.com
Subscriber Goal
Pat Flynn, the creator of this product, is a great friend of mine. I got to play with this at VidSummit, and I am excited! I backed the campaign for 5 of them! They really are good. Yes, you can't wrap them around trees, but I have never once done that. I have only ever needed exactly what this will provide, but even better than it has been provided by any other device that I have tried! So excited for them and to get mine when they launch in August! :p

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Pat Flynn, the creator of this product, is a great friend of mine. I got to play with this at VidSummit, and I am excited! I backed the campaign for 5 of them! They really are good. Yes, you can't wrap them around trees, but I have never once done that. I have only ever needed exactly what this will provide, but even better than it has been provided by any other device that I have tried! So excited for them and to get mine when they launch in August! :p
Wrapping a joby around a tree is a tall order XD but I get ya. I actually don't have a gorillapod since I haven't found the need for them yet and due to that, I don't have a big interest in this one either xP
Maybe in another lifetime where I actually do vlogs lol

Reactions: ImpartialGeek
OP
OP
TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal

That's awesome! I wish I could have tried it. I'll be keeping an eye out!