• Guest - TubeBuddy now has a BLOG! Click Here to learn more!

Question Youtube SEO quality : 1080p60, 4k30 or 4k60 ?

Léo TechMaker

Newbie Member
Hello there !

These last few days I'm in a dilemma, I have a GH5 and a pretty good connection and a good PC to be able to choose between these three qualities, but I have several problems because I wonder if I should evolve towards these new resolutions and if it's really necessary, currently I've always put my videos in 1080p60, if I want to improve the quality:

- the 4K60 fps doesn't work very well on Youtube (there are fps losses for people watching)
- the 4K30 FPS loses fluidity compared to the 60

I see a lot of youtubers doing 4K30 (like MKBHD or LinusTechTips) and a lot doing 1080p60 (like Game Theory), and unfortunately nobody doing 4k60 because of the concern that it's too complicated to watch

Which one should be used to have the best possible referencing?

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Hello there !

These last few days I'm in a dilemma, I have a GH5 and a pretty good connection and a good PC to be able to choose between these three qualities, but I have several problems because I wonder if I should evolve towards these new resolutions and if it's really necessary, currently I've always put my videos in 1080p60, if I want to improve the quality:

- the 4K60 fps doesn't work very well on Youtube (there are fps losses for people watching)

I see a lot of youtubers doing 4K30 (like MKBHD or LinusTechTips) and a lot doing 1080p60 (like Game Theory), and unfortunately nobody doing 4k60 because of the concern that it's too complicated to watch

In terms of SEO, YouTube is putting 4K, above 1080 and 720 HD in it's default filtering options and that's not on accident. 4k has a higher CHANCE, but at the moment it's still marginal, but as the gap closes, it will be like what YT did to 360p and 480p content, place it lower and lower to showcase the high quality content on the site. I'm not saying it's going to happen overnight or soon, but it's already slowly happening. The difference between 30fps, and 60fps is completely up to user preference, at least at the moment.

Here is the default filtering options on YT:

Default YT filter.png

Reactions: Paul and Damon

Greneey

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Bonjour Léo

From my standpoint and regarding the type of content you are creating I would suggest going for 4k 25fps. (not 30 because you live in Europe and we use the NTSC / SECAM standard). The reason why Marques and LMG are going for 30 fps is that they go for a "film look". The Film industry is using 24 fps.

The reason Matthew (Game Theory) is sticking to 60 fps is that he is not going for a "film look". He is going for gameplay and animations which look smoother the higher the fps count is.

I personally do like watching gameplay/animations with 60 fps but hate it when creators use 60 fps (combined with a shutter-angle below 90┬░) on their "real-life"-footage without any good reason to.

Reactions: Damon

Da_Blackapino

New User
Hello there !

Actually I don't think I've had that issue of Loss of fps, but then again I have a 4K iMac with a AMD 560...so I can watch Vids IF they are in 2160..but I upload in 4K so it can render it down to 1080p at 60fps.

OP
OP
Léo TechMaker

Léo TechMaker

Newbie Member
Actually I don't think I've had that issue of Loss of fps, but then again I have a 4K iMac with a AMD 560...so I can watch Vids IF they are in 2160..but I upload in 4K so it can render it down to 1080p at 60fps.
I have some if I'm looking a video in 4k60 fps but not on 4k30 or 25 (and I have a Ryzen Threadripper 2950X with a RTX 2080) so I think it's a mess for a lot of peoples

Thanks for the others answers guys ! I might try recording in 4k25 then, since Greneey is right about PAL :)

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
Bonjour Léo

From my standpoint and regarding the type of content you are creating I would suggest going for 4k 25fps. (not 30 because you live in Europe and we use the NTSC / SECAM standard). The reason why Marques and LMG are going for 30 fps is that they go for a "film look". The Film industry is using 24 fps.

The reason Matthew (Game Theory) is sticking to 60 fps is that he is not going for a "film look". He is going for gameplay and animations which look smoother the higher the fps count is.

I personally do like watching gameplay/animations with 60 fps but hate it when creators use 60 fps (combined with a shutter-angle below 90┬░) on their "real-life"-footage without any good reason to.
Spot on! I agree. I stick with 24 fps 180 deg shutter angle and never mess with it, as I want my fishing adventure to be as much like documentary films as possible. 60 fps for talking heads stuff looks like cheap TV. If I really wanted, I'd use 30 fps for the quick turnaround how-to type videos. 60 fps for sports and action stuff.

As far as 4k, yeah, the switch to 4k has been slower than everyone thought. There are several ways to use 4k. One of which is to capture in 4k then downsample to 1080p for a really awesome 1080p.

Everyone talks about 4k, but so much 4k footage is 8 bit, 4:2:0 colors, in a distribution only codec like H.264. It's all washed out and there isn't much color data preserved off the sensor. Sure, you get all this great resolution at the cost of washed out colors, and a trickle to nothing for bandwidth. Yes, that's 4k, but it isn't ultra high definition in the complete since, well, it's ultra high resolution, ultra crappy colors and bandwidth.

If you going for ultra high, make everything ultra high. For "artistic" I'd rather have true 1080p/high definition footage, i.e., high resolution, high bit rate, deep color space, high dynamic range. Most don't even have that at 1080p, yet now people are talking about 8k. It becomes a gimmick much like the Mhz wars in the 1990s on computer speeds. that's why cinema cameras are so big and heavy. High definition is high definition in the complete sense. Ultra high definition is ultra high definition ins the complete sense.

Reactions: kunicross

Greneey

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Everyone talks about 4k, but so much 4k footage is 8 bit, 4:2:0 colors, in a distribution only codec like H.264.
I have to intervene here. Those facts are not nearly as important as good storytelling. Heck, I would even watch 4:3 480p content upscaled to 4k 16:9 if the story is fine!

We are talking about YouTube here. The "Boradcast Yourself" thing on the internet. Your statement is technically correct but let's be real. The average consumer will not notice the difference between a 4:2:0 or a 2:2:0 Image. Same goes for colour-space. While I agree that 10 bit is nice to have from the standpoint of a professional there are more things you can brake then do right in a 10 bit (none disruptive) workflow as a consumer/prosumer.

Frankly, I am happy if they even get their exposure-levels right.

In my opinion 4k "as is" is just fine for the web. People can watch those 4k Videos on their big TVs without them being completely "blocky" due to upscale. I am more worried about the upcoming 8K trend (first prosumer camera announced now) people won't be ready for that workflow. (unless they actually know what they're doing) .

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
Yeah, storytelling is what my channel is all about, but to the point at hand 4k for SEO, he'd be better off focusing on the SEO part an not so much on the 4k part. Focus most on SEO and building playlists based on groups of keywords. If you have the resources and infrastructure to handle 4k, experiment with it. If it isn't for you, don't worry. 1080p is plenty and won't hurt your SEO, if you ask me.

The real trend 4k to 8k, to 12k or 16k is all the same trend. At some point the infrastructure can't handle it because you have to make compromises to make it happen. That was my point. For me it was at 1080p to 4k. For you it's 4k to 8k. Same trend, and it will never end. At some point you have to say this is what and why I'm will or will not do this. For me it's 1080p. For some it's 4k. (It still isn't real 4k DCI.)

For you the 8k trend is as worrying as the 4k trend is to me now. (For me having a professional music background none of the audio is good enough, not even CD quality, let's not even talk about that. It's good that people can get an external mic of any kind to get out of in camera audio. I have to live with horrible sound in every one my videos, and I hate it. Will the average person know? No. But I don't let average people decide what, why and how I will produce content.) Maybe it is just YouTube, but each has to decide what is good enough for himself.

Again, 4k for SEO, just focus on SEO and building out lots of playlists. Get like 5 or 8 related highly searchable keyword phrase and build a playlist out of those keywords. Think of it like writing a book. Think of how you might use those keywords to frame a little book about whatever your subject is, and each video in the playlist is like a chapter in that little book. 4k won't matter much when YouTube sees you making that kind of relevant content.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Yeah, storytelling is what my channel is all about, but to the point at hand 4k for SEO, he'd be better off focusing on the SEO part an not so much on the 4k part. Focus most on SEO and building playlists based on groups of keywords. If you have the resources and infrastructure to handle 4k, experiment with it. If it isn't for you, don't worry. 1080p is plenty and won't hurt your SEO, if you ask me.

The real trend 4k to 8k, to 12k or 16k is all the same trend. At some point the infrastructure can't handle it because you have to make compromises to make it happen. That was my point. For me it was at 1080p to 4k. For you it's 4k to 8k. Same trend, and it will never end. At some point you have to say this is what and why I'm will or will not do this. For me it's 1080p. For some it's 4k. (It still isn't real 4k DCI.)

For you the 8k trend is as worrying as the 4k trend is to me now. (For me having a professional music background none of the audio is good enough, not even CD quality, let's not even talk about that. It's good that people can get an external mic of any kind to get out of in camera audio. I have to live with horrible sound in every one my videos, and I hate it. Will the average person know? No. But I don't let average people decide what, why and how I will produce content.) Maybe it is just YouTube, but each has to decide what is good enough for himself.

Again, 4k for SEO, just focus on SEO and building out lots of playlists. Get like 5 or 8 related highly searchable keyword phrase and build a playlist out of those keywords. Think of it like writing a book. Think of how you might use those keywords to frame a little book about whatever your subject is, and each video in the playlist is like a chapter in that little book. 4k won't matter much when YouTube sees you making that kind of relevant content.
4K will matter when he IS making relevant content. Since YouTube prefers it now, if you can do 4K, I'd recommend doing it AND making sure your SEO is in order :)

Reactions: Greneey and Damon