• Guest - we're building a commmunity team! Click Here to learn more!

Opinion Using Facecam Only At The Beginning And The End

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
I've been watching this youtuber (CJUGames) for the past week and I'm interested in the way he works his facecam. He only places it in the beginning, the end, and highlights from the episode. I haven't seen anybody else do that before.

Ex.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UzrIGjoGCw

I was contemplating about why he does it because it's a lot more effort to make a highlight in every video rather than just keeping the facecam throughout the video. :thinking:

The best explanation I could come up with is that he wants you to know that there is indeed a face behind the voice, and then fades out the facecam so you can be fully immerse in the game and not on his face. For the most part, it works towards the end because when the facecam pops up, I immediately know that the video is ending. I also do like the highlights as well because it shows us his facial reaction during critical scenes... and it feels kinda new because we didn't see the facecam during those parts. I kinda like the way he does that and I wonder if anybody else does something similar.

What do you think of this?

Greneey

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Since I am not really into Let's plays I do like to see the face during the game. I even prefer it when the face at some time takes the majority of screen space. Just like Pewds editors are doing it in his "newer"/"shorter" gameplay.

BraveStarrTG

TubeBuddy User
I have to agree with Greneey. The idea of having a webcam is to also enjoy the facial reactions of the player as well as the gameplay itself. Otherwise, why bother watching gameplay with anyone talking at all?

Ironically I was considering trying this out myself. I have specific reasons for avoiding using a webcam for an entire game session but I was not convinced it would work thus one reason I stopped making videos for now. It is true that I had never seen anyone make videos like this. They either had a webcam or not. Now that I see what it's like it looks interesting but I don't believe this works for gameplay as gamer reactions are part of the fun. Maybe on how to videos where the video itself is what needs to be focused on can work but on gameplay not so sure.

OP
OP
Ikerot

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
Since I am not really into Let's plays I do like to see the face during the game. I even prefer it when the face at some time takes the majority of screen space. Just like Pewds editors are doing it in his "newer"/"shorter" gameplay.
Yeah, I get that. Facecam is the hot thing, but some games just don't need facecam :thinking:
Or if somebody does have facecam, it's usually pretty pointless because they don't react much xD

I have to agree with Greneey. The idea of having a webcam is to also enjoy the facial reactions of the player as well as the gameplay itself. Otherwise, why bother watching gameplay with anyone talking at all?

Ironically I was considering trying this out myself. I have specific reasons for avoiding using a webcam for an entire game session but I was not convinced it would work thus one reason I stopped making videos for now. It is true that I had never seen anyone make videos like this. They either had a webcam or not. Now that I see what it's like it looks interesting but I don't believe this works for gameplay as gamer reactions are part of the fun. Maybe on how to videos where the video itself is what needs to be focused on can work but on gameplay not so sure.
Isn't that how let's play started, though? People recording their TV screen and making commentaries while they play through the game. Viewers enjoyed it then and they still do now, that's why there are still plenty of gamers who don't use facecam (i.e. H20Delirious, Vanoss, OhmWrecker).

It seems to be working fine for him. I've been looking at the comments and I haven't seen any complaints about it. I see more comments about his reaction during the highlights, which only tells me that they do watch all the way until the end. I gotta say it's a pretty clever scheme to get people to watch the whole video.

BraveStarrTG

TubeBuddy User
Yeah, I get that. Facecam is the hot thing, but some games just don't need facecam :thinking:
Or if somebody does have facecam, it's usually pretty pointless because they don't react much xD

Isn't that how let's play started, though? People recording their TV screen and making commentaries while they play through the game. Viewers enjoyed it then and they still do now, that's why there are still plenty of gamers who don't use facecam (i.e. H20Delirious, Vanoss, OhmWrecker).

It seems to be working fine for him. I've been looking at the comments and I haven't seen any complaints about it. I see more comments about his reaction during the highlights, which only tells me that they do watch all the way until the end. I gotta say it's a pretty clever scheme to get people to watch the whole video.
Agreed, H20Delirious and Erasable Ninja both have channels based on no webcams but their entire premise revolves around that. Their comedy comes not from their reactions on their faces but from their goofy voices and words combined with the action of the game. In Erasable's case, it's what he does in the game that makes his videos so great to watch without a webcam. Same as Delirious. But compare them to, say, Dr. Disrespect and without a webcam his videos would not be as popular because it's him the one who makes his vids awesome to watch. Some people are just good at doing something that more often than not doesn't work or at least doesn't seem to work for most.

Yes, once upon a time gameplay was mostly about the game with voice and less about the face, but one needs only to watch Twitch to realize that a webcam is more valuable to gamers in most cases. It really depends on the kind of content the creator is trying to create.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
As a Let's player who doesn't show his face, I hope my commentary is enough to carry the game, and not distract from the story of the game. That's my 2 cents :X