YouTube News What's a small YouTuber to you?

I get the feeling that YT would say anything under 100k is small, but I would not say it. I feel like anything under 10k is probably small. I only have 2,000 subs and I know in YT numbers that is small - but I do not complain because it is still increasing.
I disagree. In fact, you could get partnered with Youtube with just 10k subs. Chaos built a second channel for "Lets Play," and he got partnered as soon as he got close to 10k subs. Here's a video where he says so:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMhEHUanZYs

I agree with @Ater (post #20), small YouTuber is between 100 subs to 5k subs. And 10k is considered "big" in YouTube's eyes. I see 100k and up big, but YouTube from what Chaos said seems to be many factors other than just subscriber numbers. Since one of the requirements of being partnered is the length of watch time. 10minutes is minimum, but Let's Play channels have longer watch times, so YouTube prefers longer watch times.

Therefore, it's pretty subjective.

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I believe it varies a lot depending on niche and language.

As a viewer I would probably think something like this when it comes YouTube overall and an English speaking channel:
<10K micro
10K - 100K small
100K - 1M medium
1M - 10M large
10M+ HUGE

Remember most viewers will watch a lot more videos with millions of views from channels with millions of subscribers compare to the amount of videos they will watch with 200 views from that channel with 500 subscribers.

But this is a bit like comparing apples and oranges and it's probably more correct to compare apples with apples and organges with oranges. If you have 50K subs and are the biggest channel in your niche you are clearly a very large channel inside that niche.

As a content creator I'm much more focused on niches. Example: in the niche my channel focused on for a long time (I have recently started to branch out) the largest channel have just under 80K subs and "the big dogs" are mostly around 40K-60K so for that niche it's probably something like:
<1K micro
1K-5K small
5K - 20K medium
20K - 50K large
50K+ huge

But as a content creator its a lot about feeling, if you have 100K subscribers and the channels inside your niche that you compete with, look up to and compare yourself with all have 300 - 500K subscribers you are going to feel small compared to these channels who are many times your size.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of using subscribers as a measurement of channel size since there are small growing channels that get a lot views and there are channels with
hundreds of thousands of subscribers getting few views. I would rather have a channel with 10K subscribers that get an avg of 5000 views/video than one with 200K subscribers that get an avg of 2000 views/video. Using views in the last 30 days or something like that to measure channel size would probably be more correct in my eyes.
Love this and brings a lot of great perspective in how creators vs. a viewer see's the platform. I've gotten brand deals with my sales numbers. On my main channel I'm at 3.4K, but I move sales, and proving that to brands is more valuable then the number. I always say, you're only as small as you let yourself be. Again to a channel with 10 subs, 1,000 is a lot.

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
I disagree. In fact, you could get partnered with Youtube with just 10k subs.
You can be partnered with only 1,000 subs, but I think YT still looks at that as very small. I know a guy that just got monetized, with 1,300 subs. He is a very small channel and knows it. He is also growing. "Small" is not an insult, just the truth.
I think YT would agree with the list Ater put -
<10K micro
10K - 100K small
100K - 1M medium
1M - 10M large
10M+ HUGE

I tend to agree with his second list -
<1K micro
1K-5K small
5K - 20K medium
20K - 50K large
50K+ huge

YT gives out play button awards BUT their first level is 100,000 subs. Honestly if we are below that I do not think YT really cares that much. They are in the business of selling ads, and below that... they are not making enough money to care.
But yeah, as we grow and look at channel sizes ahead of us... "small" and "large" are subjective.

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
You can be partnered with only 1,000 subs, but I think YT still looks at that as very small. I know a guy that just got monetized, with 1,300 subs. He is a very small channel and knows it. He is also growing. "Small" is not an insult, just the truth.
I think YT would agree with the list Ater put -
<10K micro
10K - 100K small
100K - 1M medium
1M - 10M large
10M+ HUGE

I tend to agree with his second list -
<1K micro
1K-5K small
5K - 20K medium
20K - 50K large
50K+ huge

YT gives out play button awards BUT their first level is 100,000 subs. Honestly if we are below that I do not think YT really cares that much. They are in the business of selling ads, and below that... they are not making enough money to care.
But yeah, as we grow and look at channel sizes ahead of us... "small" and "large" are subjective.
Agreed on some points. My main question is what YOU think makes a small YouTuber? After VidCon I saw a few channels with 1 million who say they're small.

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
Agreed on some points. My main question is what YOU think makes a small YouTuber? After VidCon I saw a few channels with 1 million who say they're small.
Yes, as I said - it is subjective.
I still agree with my original answer: "I get the feeling that YT would say anything under 100k is small... I feel like anything under 10k is probably small."

But that is probably only true while I remain under 10k ha ha (which will be forever). :cool: