YouTube News What's a small YouTuber to you?

DragoNate

TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
I have focused more on growth than monetisation, but I would not call it easy to make $50-$100 a month with 1k subs. You probably need to do a decent amount of work to get there. Its been 8 full months since my channel reached 1k sub (hoping to reach 2k this weekend). During the 8 months I have earned over $50 a total of 3 times and 2 out of 3 are November and December when the add revenue is much higher than the rest of the year. 4 of the 8 months was sub $30 and I have never been close to $100 (my best month was $78.23).

I'm not complaining, 1k subs is defiantly a good foundation to build on and my channel is growing and hopefully making $100+ a month is not to far into the future, but to make $50-$100 month with 1k subs you most likely need to do a decent amount of work, at least if you don't do anything extra other than the ad revenue. The exception is probably if you are in a niche that pays extremely good or your niche is really popular right now so you get a abnormal amount of views.
Well, things have changed in a couple months too, but in the 2.5 years I was on YouTube before they changed monetization to needing 1K subs, I earned just over $60. That was with less than 300. So 3.3x that, I can see $50 being pretty easy, so long as the views scale with sub count.
My main point though is that, at 1K, you have a large enough audience that there's going to be a few, even if less than 10, who will donate, support on Patreon, buy your merch or use your affiliate links. None of those things require much work and once you set it, you can "forget" it, so to speak.
That, plus ad revenue? $50 is a good amount :D

meprior

New User
TubeBuddy Pro
Okay, Well my subscriber count does not meet even close to anyone else's here I've seen so far, I am a small youtuber but actually I guess I am a tinee newbie, at less than 200. For me, that is small or less and even less than 1000 possibly could be considered small. Once you hit where you are receiving 1000k plus views per video and more, I'm sure you start raising in your subscriber count, thus can consider yourself a bigger youtube account. I guess I see it from a 'smaller' pespctive cause I am still on the small end myself. I am sure I will see it differently, possibly, when I have many more subscribers in the future.

RazzBarlow

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
At 115 subs, I guess I'm "micro". I'm cool with that. Baby steps, and I'm growing bit by bit. I would consider anything under 10K subs to be "small". Anyone with 100K+ subs claiming to be "small" or complaining about how much work it is, should probably get out of the content creator space. Done right, this is a job. You have to work at it. If you're not working at it several hours per day, you can't expect it to be much more than a hobby. Success is rented and that rent is due every day.

Ater

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Well, things have changed in a couple months too, but in the 2.5 years I was on YouTube before they changed monetization to needing 1K subs, I earned just over $60. That was with less than 300.
Oh that's a lot! Far more than I did back in the days. I was also monetized before the 1000 subs rule. During 2016 I went from 35 to 290 subs and during 2017 I went from 290 to 626 subs. Back then I was a lot less serious compared to today, I didn't know as much about how YouTube works and I also took long breaks from content creation. Based on what I made on average/view each year, in 2016 I would have needed about 69K views/month and in 2017 I would have needed about 56K views/month to make $60/month.

But you are correct 1000 subs is a great foundation to build on and if the type of content you do fits well with affiliate links or merch you could probably make a decent amount if you focused on money.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
With these changes is it fair to say at 1,000 subscribers you are now a standard YouTuber? Anything less than 1,000 small? What are all of your thoughts? :D

Ater

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
With these changes is it fair to say at 1,000 subscribers you are now a standard YouTuber? Anything less than 1,000 small? What are all of your thoughts? :D
I'm just about to reach 2000 and I don't even feel small, I feel tiny/micro compared to the channels in my niche with 100 - 400 times as many subscribers, who get more views in a day than I get in a month. The bigger once even get more views on a good day than I got during all 365 days of 2018 combined.

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm just about to reach 2000 and I don't even feel small, I feel tiny/micro compared to the channels in my niche with 100 - 400 times as many subscribers, who get more views in a day than I get in a month. The bigger once even get more views on a good day than I got during all 365 days of 2018 combined.
It's that horrible game of comparing yourself to other channels :(

I used to get frustrated as well when I saw other channels, who did the same thing I did with barely any edits or even a good cam/mic, getting more views than me. They barely even work their tags or thumbnails xD Made me real sad after a while, but I've stopped looking at them since.

If I were to look at bigger channels, yeah. I guess I am still a small channel, but when I just look at myself and the community I've created... No, I don't think I'm small :)

Ater

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
It's that horrible game of comparing yourself to other channels :(
I used to get frustrated as well when I saw other channels, who did the same thing I did with barely any edits or even a good cam/mic, getting more views than me. They barely even work their tags or thumbnails xD Made me real sad after a while, but I've stopped looking at them since.
Oh I think you misunderstand me. Beaning a tiny channel compared to them is nothing negative to me, it's just a fact. Everyone needs to start somewhere. :)

I don't get frustrated or sad from comparing myself with other channels, I get motivated and learn! I look at the bigger channels in my niche as inspiration. Every channel in my niche who have made it big shows me that it's possible to make it. I try to study them and learn from them. What do they do better then me? What do they differently from me? What videos are their most successful once? Is there something they do that I could improve on?

Da_Blackapino

New User
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I'm TECHNICALLY a Small Youtuber or Micro..lol...but It's ok as I've got over 110K views on my channel But I'm At 219 and almost too 220. But I'm greatful as where I was At a year ago at 35 subscribers to where I'm at Now. That's a GREAT Feeling.

Zuhri Sani Fahmi

New User
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I not small Youtuber, but i smallest.
I believe, before that channel have 100K. The channel had been a small Youtuber like i am Or like others small YouTuber. Soo keep your strength to tracking this way. .

####

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I not small Youtuber, but i smallest.
I believe, before that channel have 100K. The channel had been a small Youtuber like i am Or like others small YouTuber. Soo keep your strength to tracking this way. .

####
I don't think it's that! Haha I'd say 10K since that's when you get all of the YT features :)

At one point I had 32k subs and thought I had a big channel. I now have 65k and know I'm small. I think the more important factor for me is growth. If I'm gaining 1,000+ subs a month with over 10k views average per vid, I would consider my channel dynamic and growing (Large).

Satya Das

New User
It depends on the mindset of people in the industry. As people having millions of subs
may not think of one having below 1k subs.
Yes, according to sub count till 10k it should be small, within 10k+ to 1,00,000 subs all are medium and
above 1,00,000 subs it is large.

Abhay

New User
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
anyone who does not have 1 k subscriber and 4 k watch time, i would say him small YouTuber as he/she is struggling to get monetized@andrew