YouTube News What's a small YouTuber to you?

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
What do you define as a small YouTuber?

I ask because I saw a channel with 100K subs say "I hate being a small youtuber"

I'm curious your opinion! :D

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
It's a bit of a difficult question but I would say everyone who is much more dependent on his day job than on YouTube earnings (if he got earnings at all) is "small" in practical terms.

from the viewer side I consider a channel "small" when I expect any response from the creator to my comments (I'm those terms small is more of a good trait. The cutoff is somewhere between 1000-10k i would say.

Also I never really consider channels small if you got a dedicated editor, cameraman or other staff (close family is ok) ;)

i think feeling small with 100k subs stems from complaining your channel too much with others in the niche. But it's also very dependent on what you do, a 100k subs tech review channel can probably pay all his bills and more from that while a vlogger with only 10% of his subs regularly watching and no real leg up in the influence world will probably have very different views on their size.

Last edited:

DragoNate

TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
I think 10k or less, and that's pushing it a bit IMO. Maybe 5k or less, you're a "small channel" because at 5k, you have access to superchat, very likely/easily can get brand deals/sponsorships and you have a large enough audience that you can almost guarantee they'll buy merch or use affiliate links, plus, ads. Heck, those things are 'unlocked' at 1k You could quite easily make around $50-$100 a month without doing much extra. That's $50-$100 that would help pay for new software/hardware.
Now, it could come down to views as well... If you have 100k subscribers, but you average less than 1000 views per video then 99% of your subscribers are inactive, which means your actual influence is quite low, considering. Of course, it's not all black & white. If you upload 10 times per day, then 1000 views per upload is still quite good. If you upload once a day or less often with 1k views per upload, then it starts dropping off.

Maybe it shouldn't so much, but it actually really really annoys me to hear people with 100k subscribers complain about "being a small channel". They have literally tons of opportunity. It's their own fault if they're not seeking opportunities (which would literally slap them in the face because most companies would jump if 100k channels asked about sponsorships) or if they're getting a bunch that they're turning down. YouTube may not consider them larger channels (in treatment anyway) but they kinda are...

Sorry, long post as usual :D

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I think 10k or less, and that's pushing it a bit IMO. Maybe 5k or less, you're a "small channel" because at 5k, you have access to superchat, very likely/easily can get brand deals/sponsorships and you have a large enough audience that you can almost guarantee they'll buy merch or use affiliate links, plus, ads. Heck, those things are 'unlocked' at 1k You could quite easily make around $50-$100 a month without doing much extra. That's $50-$100 that would help pay for new software/hardware.
Now, it could come down to views as well... If you have 100k subscribers, but you average less than 1000 views per video then 99% of your subscribers are inactive, which means your actual influence is quite low, considering. Of course, it's not all black & white. If you upload 10 times per day, then 1000 views per upload is still quite good. If you upload once a day or less often with 1k views per upload, then it starts dropping off.

Maybe it shouldn't so much, but it actually really really annoys me to hear people with 100k subscribers complain about "being a small channel". They have literally tons of opportunity. It's their own fault if they're not seeking opportunities (which would literally slap them in the face because most companies would jump if 100k channels asked about sponsorships) or if they're getting a bunch that they're turning down. YouTube may not consider them larger channels (in treatment anyway) but they kinda are...

Sorry, long post as usual :D
No problem with he long posts.

I know one 1M Youtuber who does it full time but is also complaining about it about every 2nd video which is semi annoying. It feels to me like people who dont understand the basics of their job.

But it happens all the time that some major Youtuber fails to understand something really basic, complains and then you see it trickle down and all the small Youtubers repeating the same line a couple of days later...

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
I get the feeling that YT would say anything under 100k is small, but I would not say it. I feel like anything under 10k is probably small. I only have 2,000 subs and I know in YT numbers that is small - but I do not complain because it is still increasing.

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I get the feeling that YT would say anything under 100k is small, but I would not say it. I feel like anything under 10k is probably small. I only have 2,000 subs and I know in YT numbers that is small - but I do not complain because it is still increasing.
Great mindset :D

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Well, in most YouTuber's minds it's always the next order of magnitude. A 1mil Youtuber think's they are small because they're looking at 10 mil. 100k YouTuber thinks about a million. 10k thinks of 100k. 1k thinks of 10k. 100 thinks of 1k all the way down to the 1 sub YouTuber wishing he had a 100.

Although I don't think of myself as a small YouTuber, for long-term health and wealth, I will need to grow by an order of magnitude. So viability is a part of that equation. Viability defined as am I going to make enough money to make this thing happen? Usually the next order of magnitude is the next key to "unlocking" that perceived "dream."

Also the other factor these people are usually not thinking in tru business terms. I've seen some big companies with <5k sub and doing very well. Then there are YouTubers with 100k+ and doing poorly. Again poor business model/mindset.

Also another factor is they project their own self image. They think of themselves as small, insignificant, meaningless, hopeless, helpless. They are the elephants with rope around their necks tied to nothing, having no idea they are completely free. As written above they have no idea of the opportunity.

Sadly so many YouTubers think YouTube is the destination. Instead they should be thinking of and seizing the opportunities available to them no matter the size of their audience.

That is why I am no small YouTuber. That's a good keyword phrase as well if you check.

Beanie Draws

It varies to me. I'm at 21k, but I consider myself still fairly small against the likes of Draw With Jazza and his 3 million subscribers. But I think it was you Andrew who said 20k is considered "middle class" or at least I remember SOMEONE mentioning that.

Loosely I'd day 1-1000 subscribers is "small" - 1000 - 100,000 is "medium" and 100,000+ is large.

1-1000 you're learning the craft, learning what makes things tick, learning about tags, analytics, thumbs, seo, basic editing, basic needs to get a video together enough to get you to the monetisation point, and that requires audience growth. so You're learning and growing.

1000 - 100,000 you know what you're doing (you can always learn and grow) you have a good understanding of the basic principles of youtube and what works for your channel. At this point you're learning stratey and business up until the 10k mark and then from there on you're learning how to turn your channel into a fully fledged sustainable business.

100,000 you have brand deals (hopefully) you have sponsorships, you've made the channel into a business and a sustainable income, and from here on it's simply about improving the performance of all areas and seeing just how far you can push things.
And then you get to PewDiePie levels where you just kinda get bored and sick of it all :p it's basically how can I keep my high score from that point on :p

but that's only considering 1 million as the top point. There are channels well into the 10 million mark who've been at this for 7+ years.
If I were to be harsh, I'd say 1-50,000 subscribers is "small" 50,000 - 300,000 subscribers is medium, and 300,000+ is pretty big, and anyone over say, 3million plus is god tier.

BraveStarrTG

Life Is A Game
Subscriber Goal
Here's how I see it.

From a Youtuber's perspective, I guess in a way one would see one's channel as small when comparing to people in similar genres with huge numbers. Basically like Damon put it. But at the same time I would also consider myself a big channel if I was to hit at least 1000 subscribers because considering how hard it is just to hit 10, let alone 100, 1000 would be amazing for me.

From a subscriber's perspective, any channel with less than maybe 10k subscribers would be small to me but not newbie small. More like the bottom of medium small or just slightly above small perhaps.

I can't imagine myself needing a crew to help with my channel. I guess that's one's perspective when one is this small. I have envisioned myself being part of the crew for another channel. A way to learn more, have access to better to things that could help me grow my channel and also make money as a job while my channel grows (hopefully).

Shazy Jeo

New User
TubeBuddy Pro
The question to ask what is a content creator on YouTube for small Youtubers ?
Is it popularity or numbers or statistics or whatever mainstream rocks your brain.
I have 6 years experience of making videos around 320 subs, 300+ uploads, & I dare NOT go near money driven adding subs to buying views.
I have videos with 2 views to all the way to 10,000+ views.
Does this make me a small YouTuber? I have my reservations on subject with over 6 niches in my channel. I think everyone would agree that there is huge gaps to grow just on every level & for me, my topics alone are enough for future.
Sure I can contact a company to add subs to my channel where I am looking for 10,000 subs to next milestone 100,000 and so forth. Is it a good option from experienced YouTuber or not??
But using payments to get whatever means whatever nothing to do with Youtube at all?? Ego satisfying for anyone to purchase views to subs doesn't cut it for me.
What happened to content creation as hobby or so? I thought youtube was a platform for likeminded individuals with progress forward to logical solution to finding someone in remote corner of planet who apprieciates your video for its content not for Youtube popularity and getting pat from behind by system?
If everybody started paying for subs than this world already failed in content creators platform that was youtube but it isn't or is it?
I overheard small youtubers are going to be slowly pushed out unless you don't upgrade your channel to 1 million sub or something like again using money?

Last edited:

Greneey

New User
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Seriously even tho I would like to call myself a "big YouTuber" I have to say it depends on the Language.
As an English speaking channel, I consider everything below 500k small and everything above 5M big and the in between I would call medium.
Here in Switzerland where only 5M people speak the "swiss german" language so I consider every channel till 1k small and everything above 10k big.

It really depends on the potential reach of a language in my opinion.

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Seriously even tho I would like to call myself a "big YouTuber" I have to say it depends on the Language.
As an English speaking channel, I consider everything below 500k small and everything above 5M big and the in between I would call medium.
Here in Switzerland where only 5M people speak the "swiss german" language so I consider every channel till 1k small and everything above 10k big.

Yea here in Germany channels of 100k are already considered big (the biggest German speaking channels are somewhere around 5-6M subscribers).
I guess in smaller language groups the effect exists as well.

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal

That's an interesting point I didn't think about! :D

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Yea here in Germany channels of 100k are already considered big (the biggest German speaking channels are somewhere around 5-6M subscribers).
I guess in smaller language groups the effect exists as well.
That's an interesting point I didn't think about! :D
I get that with the language groups. I remember Pewdiepie getting an interview from a Swedish news network (or was it an article? eh?) when his channel was much smaller. Or Charlie McDonnell getting interviewed by the BBC, if I remember correctly.

Ater

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
at 1k You could quite easily make around $50-$100 a month without doing much extra.
I have focused more on growth than monetisation, but I would not call it easy to make $50-$100 a month with 1k subs. You probably need to do a decent amount of work to get there. Its been 8 full months since my channel reached 1k sub (hoping to reach 2k this weekend). During the 8 months I have earned over $50 a total of 3 times and 2 out of 3 are November and December when the add revenue is much higher than the rest of the year. 4 of the 8 months was sub $30 and I have never been close to $100 (my best month was $78.23).

I'm not complaining, 1k subs is defiantly a good foundation to build on and my channel is growing and hopefully making $100+ a month is not to far into the future, but to make $50-$100 month with 1k subs you most likely need to do a decent amount of work, at least if you don't do anything extra other than the ad revenue. The exception is probably if you are in a niche that pays extremely good or your niche is really popular right now so you get a abnormal amount of views.

Last edited:

Ater

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I believe it varies a lot depending on niche and language.

As a viewer I would probably think something like this when it comes YouTube overall and an English speaking channel:
<10K micro
10K - 100K small
100K - 1M medium
1M - 10M large
10M+ HUGE

Remember most viewers will watch a lot more videos with millions of views from channels with millions of subscribers compare to the amount of videos they will watch with 200 views from that channel with 500 subscribers.

But this is a bit like comparing apples and oranges and it's probably more correct to compare apples with apples and organges with oranges. If you have 50K subs and are the biggest channel in your niche you are clearly a very large channel inside that niche.

As a content creator I'm much more focused on niches. Example: in the niche my channel focused on for a long time (I have recently started to branch out) the largest channel have just under 80K subs and "the big dogs" are mostly around 40K-60K so for that niche it's probably something like:
<1K micro
1K-5K small
5K - 20K medium
20K - 50K large
50K+ huge

But as a content creator its a lot about feeling, if you have 100K subscribers and the channels inside your niche that you compete with, look up to and compare yourself with all have 300 - 500K subscribers you are going to feel small compared to these channels who are many times your size.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of using subscribers as a measurement of channel size since there are small growing channels that get a lot views and there are channels with
hundreds of thousands of subscribers getting few views. I would rather have a channel with 10K subscribers that get an avg of 5000 views/video than one with 200K subscribers that get an avg of 2000 views/video. Using views in the last 30 days or something like that to measure channel size would probably be more correct in my eyes.

Last edited: