Channel Review Brand New YouTuber - Gaming & Reviews

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for clicking on my link. I'm a new YouTuber only started a week ago and would love some feedback on how to improve and what not to do in the future. My videos are playing FM19/Football Manager 19 and also Game and Movie Reviews.
Here's the link to my channel so take your pick on what you fancy looking at, if anything at all lol.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvkfjtHQWwmP1VgsWGIbp1w

Link to Review I did
https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/17882

Check out there videos, well worth a watch even if you're not into Golf.

Thanks for your time and all the best.

Paul aka QP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Hello @QP Unleashed !

As someone who has never been on your channel here is the first thing i notice. I see your name, but I don't know how you are, what kind of video games you do, when you publish your stuff, or a video/ playlist to start out with.

I see your channel banner says Video games, Vlogs, and Reviews. What if I only like the video games and reviews...? Since I don't see a person or character on the banner... who is vlogging?

On that note of who is vlogging.... WHY SHould I care about your stuff specifically? WHY Should i subscribe? is that shown on your banner? At the moment it isn't.

Another thing! I would set up a channel trailer! You can do so by clicking here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/3026513?hl=en

Even if you don't have a channel trailer, choose a video that you feel best fits your channel! That way we can learn about you, and have a better understanding of what you're about!

Speaking of about, I LOVE what you put there, but would love to see more of that in your Banner. I also would like to recommend saying "Hello, I'm QP Unleashed" in your description, so when people search your name, like in video descriptions it comes up close!

Also add some more playlists to the front of your channel, so it looks more complete! :D

Overall, really solid, and thank you for giving feedback, and sharing your channel with us!

OP
OP
QP Unleashed
Hi Andrew,

Thank you so much for your detailed review. As a newbie and absolute novice at YouTube I've found the feedback really helpful. Apologies in advance for asking more questions, and I understand you're a busy man so I fully understand if you don't respond to to my questions.

Kind Regards

Paul aka QP

As someone who has never been on your channel here is the first thing i notice. I see your name, but I don't know how you are, what kind of video games you do, when you publish your stuff, or a video/ playlist to start out with.I plan on getting a Cartoon Drawing of me to add to the banner, is that what you mean? I'm going to create a Channel Video over the weekend, I'll look into how I can automatically have a video playing for a returning subscriber. I have created 2 playlist, 1 called Saints and Sinner and 1 called Game and Movie Reviews, they show up when I load the page, I'll have to check from my wife's account to see how it looks on her's. With regards to when I publish videos under what section would you suggest putting this?

I see your channel banner says Video games, Vlogs, and Reviews. What if I only like the video games and reviews...? Since I don't see a person or character on the banner... who is vlogging? Guessing having the Cartoon designed Sharpish will help with this.

On that note of who is vlogging.... WHY SHould I care about your stuff specifically? WHY Should i subscribe? is that shown on your banner? At the moment it isn't. Great questions and one's I really don't know how to answer, any ideas on what to add?

Another thing! I would set up a channel trailer! You can do so by clicking here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/3026513?hl=en Getting that done shortly.

Even if you don't have a channel trailer, choose a video that you feel best fits your channel! That way we can learn about you, and have a better understanding of what you're about!

Speaking of about, I LOVE what you put there, but would love to see more of that in your Banner. I also would like to recommend saying "Hello, I'm QP Unleashed" in your description, so when people search your name, like in video descriptions it comes up close! Regading "Hello, I'm QP Unleashed" do you mean adding at the start of the Video Description?

Also add some more playlists to the front of your channel, so it looks more complete! :D I can't yet as only made 6 videos. My Channel is only a week old bless it lol.

Overall, really solid, and thank you for giving feedback, and sharing your channel with us!

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Hi Andrew,

Thank you so much for your detailed review. As a newbie and absolute novice at YouTube I've found the feedback really helpful. Apologies in advance for asking more questions, and I understand you're a busy man so I fully understand if you don't respond to to my questions.

Kind Regards

Paul aka QP

As someone who has never been on your channel here is the first thing i notice. I see your name, but I don't know how you are, what kind of video games you do, when you publish your stuff, or a video/ playlist to start out with.I plan on getting a Cartoon Drawing of me to add to the banner, is that what you mean? I'm going to create a Channel Video over the weekend, I'll look into how I can automatically have a video playing for a returning subscriber. I have created 2 playlist, 1 called Saints and Sinner and 1 called Game and Movie Reviews, they show up when I load the page, I'll have to check from my wife's account to see how it looks on her's. With regards to when I publish videos under what section would you suggest putting this?

I see your channel banner says Video games, Vlogs, and Reviews. What if I only like the video games and reviews...? Since I don't see a person or character on the banner... who is vlogging? Guessing having the Cartoon designed Sharpish will help with this.

On that note of who is vlogging.... WHY SHould I care about your stuff specifically? WHY Should i subscribe? is that shown on your banner? At the moment it isn't. Great questions and one's I really don't know how to answer, any ideas on what to add?

Another thing! I would set up a channel trailer! You can do so by clicking here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/3026513?hl=en Getting that done shortly.

Speaking of about, I LOVE what you put there, but would love to see more of that in your Banner. I also would like to recommend saying "Hello, I'm QP Unleashed" in your description, so when people search your name, like in video descriptions it comes up close! Regading "Hello, I'm QP Unleashed" do you mean adding at the start of the Video Description?

Also add some more playlists to the front of your channel, so it looks more complete! :DI can't yet as only made 6 videos. My Channel is only a week old bless it lol.

I mean your channel about. The part about descriptions, is just how YouTube reads it. Just focus on adding that to your description.

On your why should I, that's up to you. Mine is the belief that if I can do what I am filming, the person watching can too, and if you believe that is possible, that's why you should subscribe. You'll have to reach deep for this one :)

BraveStarrTG

Newbie Member
From the perspective of a still newbie you got yourself a nice setup. Love that intro. Maybe an outro would make the setup complete but that's just my opinion. I notice a of of big channels put the ending cards without a proper outro and just end up blocking that last bits of their videos with links to other videos. As for the rest well it seems Andrew gave you pretty good tips there, tips I'll be looking at on my own channel as well. see? we all learn from each other.

OP
OP
QP Unleashed
Thanks BraveStarr, I paid for the Intro video a while back I just came up with the text so can't take any credit lol. I was looking at end cards the other day and all the videos were using the old style YouTube Studio so I'm not sure how you add them. I'll have another search and see what I can find and also look at some outro videos. Andrews advice was awesome and so was your's as it's given me some other bits to work on. Time to check out both your channels now then hit the research. :)

I highly recommend you checkout the other thread GameVestment did in these forums because channel is a great example on first impressions on what you should be going for. They've been at it for 7 months, have 100 videos and have 13k subscribers

You've been at it for 2 weeks, have 9 videos and have 22 subscribers, so not bad for a start. You have the basic fundamentals so you've been paying attention to tubebuddy recommendations which is good.

With your banner, I don't think you need to go so hard on the gradients. It's not so bad on the main title, but on the video games, vlogs and reviews, I'd either make that white, a grey colour, or just a simple grey to white gradient. But you got a good photo going for the banner, good contrast, good balance, keeping it simple and tasteful and not going overboard on the social networks, so you're well on the way to a perfect banner. I'd just change the gradient on the middle text because it's a little excessive. Maybe make it a flat grey like at the top of your main text. That grey works well, so keep it flat grey or have that grey very subtly transitioning into a different colour. It looks like you

You got got everything else started. I will say though, I wouldn't click those thumbnails. They're repetitive, and outside of your branding and "saints and sinners" (what does that even mean? I've been to some nightclubs with that name) I can't read ANYTHING in those thumbs and the background kind of makes it hard to know what's going on. Other than the fact there's a flag, it's kind of hard to tell what's going on.

It kind of looks like you're going for the football gaming niche on first impression, and considering 5 of your thumbnails follow that theme, which makes me wonder why you have fortnite, cult faction and monkey island in there? Are you intending to be more generalized with your gaming? Or are you going to be narrowing down on football?
If you're going to narrow in on football, get fortnite out of there because it's way off niche. If you're going general game play, maybe focus a little less on playing football styled games. Again, I'm coming from a purely visual standpoint. Visuals are supposed to tell a story of what your overall channel is about and the banner is great, but the thumbnails leave me really confused, which makes it seem like you aren't focused enough, which puts you in danger of not being subscribe.

So really narrow down on what niche you're focusing on. Gaming may be a niche, but I know football gaming is it's own subculture in gaming, shooter games are an entirely different genre of gaming and the two really have no connection at all, so really decide right now, 2 weeks in, what you want your channel to be 100% focused on. Are you going to be focused specifically? or more generalized (which gives you more freedom of the games you might want to play 2 or more years down the road)

for now I'm only going to talk about aesthetics because that's all the time i've got for now, but even aesthetically there's a lot to be said about a channel just from visuals, and you're on the right start, but REALLY narrow down and focus on your core topic inside gaming. Focus hard on that :)
All the best :)