Community Safety Should Be Paramount For Aspiring Youtubers

BraveStarrTG

TubeBuddy User
A member of this forum called Nick Nimmin recently wrote an amazing post talking about personal safety when becoming a Youtuber with tips to help avoid becoming a Youtube fan's obsession with stalking you. Here's gthe link https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/18700/#post-46735

Now today I was watching a video of one of my favorite Youtubers, Phillip Defranco, where he spoke about just this very issue with a popular Youtuber called James Charles. James found himself having to tell his fans on social media to please stop going to his house, to stop following him asking for hugs and pictures and even going as far as placing the blame on the parents themselves who bring their younger children to his house to meet him without permission. he's even found himself threatening to call the cops on his fans who continue to stay outside waiting for him to come out making him extremely scared to be in his own home. here's the video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eCGmC5dRi4

That's why Nick's post is so important for anyone wanting to start a Youtube channel and potentially becoming popular. His advice on his post are extremely useful and necessary for your safety if you plan on making it big on Youtube and manage to accomplish that. So go check Nick's post out, in my opinion is a must read.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
A member of this forum called Nick Nimmin recently wrote an amazing post talking about personal safety when becoming a Youtuber with tips to help avoid becoming a Youtube fan's obsession with stalking you. Here's gthe link https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/18700/#post-46735

Now today I was watching a video of one of my favorite Youtubers, Phillip Defranco, where he spoke about just this very issue with a popular Youtuber called James Charles. James found himself having to tell his fans on social media to please stop going to his house, to stop following him asking for hugs and pictures and even going as far as placing the blame on the parents themselves who bring their younger children to his house to meet him without permission. he's even found himself threatening to call the cops on his fans who continue to stay outside waiting for him to come out making him extremely scared to be in his own home. here's the video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eCGmC5dRi4

That's why Nick's post is so important for anyone wanting to start a Youtube channel and potentially becoming popular. His advice on his post are extremely useful and necessary for your safety if you plan on making it big on Youtube and manage to accomplish that. So go check Nick's post out, in my opinion is a must read.
It really does matter! That's why I put a delay on my vlog releases, to make sure no one can know!

Aaron

Honestly I was never careful enough with my personal security. There used to be days that I could be googled and my address would come right up thankfully I've for the most part solved that issue although there are still ways to find it that I'm unable to control but because my house is shown in videos I take security very seriously by having a security system, motion detectors/ cameras running, having a locked fence and making sure I have tools to defend myself if necessary(not going to get specific on this but most can guess) and in the worst case scenarios I'm very close to all 3 first responders lucky enough haha.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Honestly I was never careful enough with my personal security. There used to be days that I could be googled and my address would come right up thankfully I've for the most part solved that issue although there are still ways to find it that I'm unable to control but because my house is shown in videos I take security very seriously by having a security system, motion detectors/ cameras running, having a locked fence and making sure I have tools to defend myself if necessary(not going to get specific on this but most can guess) and in the worst case scenarios I'm very close to all 3 first responders lucky enough haha.
That's good, and I'm glad you changed over the years! :D

Otto Oome

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
How can you avoid that other people can find your address on the internet?
If you want to do business on the internet or with Youtube.
I have a rare name. So if you Google it, the first page is full with my name.
But I am not a celebrity.
At least not in the whole world.

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro
How can you avoid that other people can find your address on the internet?
If you want to do business on the internet or with Youtube.
I have a rare name. So if you Google it, the first page is full with my name.
But I am not a celebrity.
At least not in the whole world.
Actually there are a lot of good hints just on top of this topic ;)

Not going with your real name for your channel and channel related social media accounts & not sharing your address and other sensitive personal data is about the most important and everything more adds more security.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Actually there are a lot of good hints just on top of this topic ;)

Not going with your real name for your channel and channel related social media accounts & not sharing your address and other sensitive personal data is about the most important and everything more adds more security.

Don't go with your real name.... Looks at Name.... WHOOPS.

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro
Don't go with your real name.... Looks at Name.... WHOOPS.
Well, now you missed the chance pointing out that you're using a pen name all along. :);)

Of course if you don't do policial or otherwise controversial stuff like talking bad about Apple products it might not be a issue but if someone knows your name, date and place of birth and maybe some more details it's really easy to become a victim of identity theft, social engineering or hacking.

Last edited:

EV Nick

TubeBuddy User
www.youtube.com
There's a known Electric car youtube stalker thats turned up at 5 of the youtubers i know personally and I saw him appear in a youtubers video i watch so i assume he turned up unannounced.

What he was doing on vloggers was watching there footage and pausing when they went past road signs and using that to work out there location am now SUPER careful to ensure no roadsigns or landmarks appear in my videos and fitted a RING doorbell to ensure my wife is safe if am not in.

The issue for me is my youtube channel slightly links into my job as i sell cars so my work location is easy to find however so far I've had no floods of people. I've had the work phone ring with fans but i've been able to convert them into sales for the business or patrons for the channel. I don't mind giving out my time for education to people but i do wish they'd email first.

Another note is to ensure your website domain doesn't use your home address :)