• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Editing Software Video Editing Software (paid)

EV Nick

TubeBuddy Pro
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I currently use Shotcut a free opensource editor and its fine and it does the job and has some really clever editing gimics HOWEVER i reckon i'd get better production value and output from a paid editor.

Now I've seen Adobe is now PAID PER MONTH, also thought about apples software will it run on a PC?

I'd also be interested in people who've seen my videos should i should keep going as i am?

Only reason am not thinking of a paid editor is the income from youtube is now steady enough to pay for editing software. What major benefits would i get.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I have not seen Shotcut so do not know what it has/does. Most of the programs seem pretty similar to me. Depends on how many bells & whistles you want. I have used CyberLink Power Director for so many years I just have not looked at any others, as I am too lazy to learn a new program. I like Power Director but CyberLink always seems like they want to upsell you to a new version, or other optional add-on software (color director, audio director, photo director). The main program does all I need it to do. They have tons of additional plugins and effects you can purchase but I buy the upgrade when they throw in a bunch of them (and rarely use the addons).

I buy the upgrade every 2 or 3 versions, for about $50 or $60. They now offer a subscription service. Something I have always been against... but... it looks pretty good. It includes all 4 programs and access to all their effects & addons, and 100 Gb online storage. The subscription is on sale right now for $90 ($7.50 a month). I am considering it, but will probably blow it off until the sale is over ha ha...
(Just in case here is an affiliate link - http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-8475660-10471867)

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I'm using Vegas Pro at the moment. Its a great program all be it a bit expensive. I am not sure what your budget is. However there is a solution to that. Humble Bundle is currently doing a sale where you get multiple video editing programs plus a few other programs all for $25. With it you get the following apps:

Vegas Pro Edit 15
Vegas DVD Architect
HitFilms Movie Essentials
Sound Forge Audio Studio 12
Movie Studio 12
FastCut Plus Edition
Voucher Code for Producer Planet

All Magix products. Not only are you getting close to $800 worth of excellent software for $25 but this money goes to charity because of Humble Bundle. You really can't beat this price. I'm getting it just because of all the other apps I get for $25 plus a second copy of Vegas Pro for another PC or maybe a gift.

kunicross

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Pay per month has the big advantage that trying out is relatively cheap, I use magix for the more fancy editing (forgot the full name but can look it up) it's very good for mixing footage of multiple cameras together and putting audio from a recorder to a video but it's really difficult for pip effects.

I would absolutely put ease of use in front having all the fancy options but needing weeks to apply them is usually not worth it
I think trying to get the most professional software is a error may youtubers do, the mid level is usually better for youtube.

BraveStar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Pay per month has the big advantage that trying out is relatively cheap, I use magix for the more fancy editing (forgot the full name but can look it up) it's very good for mixing footage of multiple cameras together and putting audio from a recorder to a video but it's really difficult for pip effects.

I would absolutely put ease of use in front having all the fancy options but needing weeks to apply them is usually not worth it
I think trying to get the most professional software is a error may youtubers do, the mid level is usually better for youtube.

I agree. If you're not ready to put serious time into learning all the tricks of using pro software then ease of use should definitely be the most important feature in the software you use. I enjoy learning new things even if it takes me some time. In the end I love the end results of my products in part because they are unique but mostly because I can say I made it myself.

Reactions: kunicross

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
I currently use Shotcut a free opensource editor and its fine and it does the job and has some really clever editing gimics HOWEVER i reckon i'd get better production value and output from a paid editor.

Now I've seen Adobe is now PAID PER MONTH, also thought about apples software will it run on a PC?

I'd also be interested in people who've seen my videos should i should keep going as i am?

Only reason am not thinking of a paid editor is the income from youtube is now steady enough to pay for editing software. What major benefits would i get.

Apple's Final Cut Pro does not work on PC.

I've been using Premiere Pro for quite a while now since @Andrew converted me over to it but I'm heavily exploring the idea of converting over to using Davinci Resolve because from everything I've read I'd see better speeds with it.

BraveStar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal

I've been using Premiere Pro for quite a while now since @Andrew converted me over to it but I'm heavily exploring the idea of converting over to using Davinci Resolve because from everything I've read I'd see better speeds with it.

Wow, yet another editing program to read about. Shame a video i saw said the free version doesn't use the GPU to render thus its slow needing to spend $400 to get the Studio version to avoid this issue.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal

Da'vinci Resolve is great, but I like CC for the fact I use ALL of the suite, but use it for what makes the most sense for you!

Reactions: Aaron

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
Wow, yet another editing program to read about. Shame a video i saw said the free version doesn't use the GPU to render thus its slow needing to spend $400 to get the Studio version to avoid this issue.
Yup! Although if you have a Blackmagic Ursa Mini Pro (and possibly with their other cameras idk) it includes the paid version of Davinci Resolve and because Im looking in to one of their cameras Im also looking into the software. If I get my hands on Resolve Ill make a comparison on them.

Reactions: TubeBuddy

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been using Lightworks, maybe one notch back from Davinci Resolve. The main thing about pro-level editing is in the color correction and color grading. I like Lightworks because it runs on Linux. They're the only ones who have fully committed to professional video editing on Linux.

Reactions: TubeBuddy

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal

Back with more substantial-ish information! I went ahead and downloaded the free version of Davinci Resolve 15 to confirm and test some things so here are my findings:

ΓÇó I found Resolve easier to use than Premiere Pro yet more time consuming due to understanding how to use its functionality better. I spent more time editing in resolve but also received a far better final image (in my opinion as someone who was originally trained on Final Cut Pro and used it for many years).

ΓÇó Resolve does use GPU acceleration in its free version from what it shows me in the settings; however, it only utilizes a maximum of one GPU. If your like me and have two GPUs your not using your full availability of hardware in Davinci Resolve's free version.

I then decided to perform an export speed test and did my best to keep as many environmental variables as consistent as possible but the grades did differ a bit including giving each program exactly 32.6GB of my system's ram and making sure each program was using CUDA acceleration.

Test Machine specs are AMD's Ryzen Threadripper 2950x, 64gb of ram and x2 EVGA 1080ti FTW3 cards. Programs were reading the media from a 7200 RPM IronWolf Pro drive and writing the export to another 7200 RPM IronWolf Pro drive.

In exporting a 12 minute video file that is color graded using each program's built in color grading tools (Premiere's Lumetri Color vs Davinci's Color Workspace) to a h.264 MP4 File:
-Premiere Pro completed the task in 3:21.16
-Davinci Resolve completed the task in 2:43.72

I like to think I also did a more complex job within Davinci Resolve due to understanding it better and would like to think if I had as much knowledge in Premiere that the gap could possibly be larger than is shown in this test. It is also widely known that Adobe Programs prefer Intel CPUs so that could also be playing a part in results.

Blackmagic literally made me a convert with its free version and I don't think I'm ever going back to Premiere after this. If I do end up purchasing one of their cameras I'll test the full version and see if there is a speed increase but its faster either way so far. I'm a fan!

Sorry for the long write up.... had a lot of time on my hands today :joy:

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
Wow! You have the Threadripper chip!? Are you able to edit 4k without proxies?

Short answer: Yes!
Long answer:

I can edit 4k30 without using proxies however at 60fps I do see Premiere reporting 3 frames dropped every now and again but I'd be lying if I said I noticed them and if premiere hadn't told me I'd of had no clue it happened. Keep in mind this comes from reading footage off of a hard drive so honestly I'm chucking the dropped frames to be more of a drive issue than anything else. By no means does it feel choppy at all, its so smooth like I said if Premiere didn't raise the issue I'd never notice. I have Precision Boost off though which I know does put quite a dent in potential performance as people who leave it on or overclock beyond it see smooth playback on even 5k footage.

Reactions: GearVlogz and Damon

GearVlogz

TubeBuddy Pro
www.gearvlogz.com
Subscriber Goal
Back with more substantial-ish information! I went ahead and downloaded the free version of Davinci Resolve 15 to confirm and test some things so here are my findings:

I like to think I also did a more complex job within Davinci Resolve due to understanding it better and would like to think if I had as much knowledge in Premiere that the gap could possibly be larger than is shown in this test. It is also widely known that Adobe Programs prefer Intel CPUs so that could also be playing a part in results.

I was under the impression that Adobe was optimized for NVIDA's cards? https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2127947

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
I was under the impression that Adobe was optimized for NVIDA's cards? https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2127947

It is, but as I use Nvidia cards and both programs include CUDA Acceleration I didn't feel it necessary to mention. I do believe both also support acceleration through OpenCL with AMD cards as well but Nvidia has shown itself to usually be the best option regardless :joy:. In terms of CPU which I was referencing, many benchmarks show that Intel overall performs better. Hope that clears it up a bit.

If your really interested in all of the techie write-ups with numbers and such I heavily recommend these two articles as they pretty well show what I described for Premiere:
For the AMD vs Nvidia GPU battle: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...-2018-NVIDIA-GeForce-vs-AMD-Radeon-Vega-1206/ {TL;DR AMD is irrelevant :joy:)
For the AMD vs Intel vs Mac battle: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...CC-2019-CPU-Roundup-Intel-vs-AMD-vs-Mac-1320/ ( TL;DR You can literally see the charts where Intel's offerings tear my Threadripper apart but for double the price can one complain? Well I'd say no, but if you really care about performance Intel is still the reigning king of Premiere)

Last edited:

Greneey

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Hey Nick.

I will not make a recommendation for a specific software because you haven't provided little to no information about what's important to you.
Yet I will share my thoughts on "editing"-software in general.

Often I read stuff like "I bought software XY so my videos will be better now." In my opinion, this is rubbish. It is just a tool. If a video is good or not is about the editor, not the editing software. The only thing where editing suites do make a difference is in time-effectiveness.

I just watched a few of your older videos and from what I see your videos are using rather slow-cuts. (which is nothing bad). There are only a few simple cuts. No transitions, not many overlays, no fancy VFX magic. (it's also not mandatory in your style). So going for a rather expensive Adobe Premiere Pro License feels a bit over the top.
As far as I can tell you can cut videos, and you can tell us your story. I think just by paying money for software you are not going to start to swap colours of cars on the go or create some Greenscreen magic - even tho you would have the tools to do that. Because that's not what your content is about.

Use whatever software you feel comfortable with and know how to use it!

The only time I recommend a switch to another software is when you either hit technical limitations or you need to prepare for a competitive future in the film industry.

The only reason I started learning Premiere Pro was that it is the most used Video-editing software (running on PC and MAC) outside broadcasting here in Switzerland.
I edited on Moviemaker, Vegas, Premiere, Avid, Final Cut, HitFilms & Resolve. And as I just said its a tool. My style will be similar on all platforms, only the way how I accomplish it will differentiate.

One Final Thought: I would save the Money for the license and buy a lavalier microphone to clip on your shirt. To bring even higher quality content to us, the viewers.

I really hope this feedback isn't hitting you on the wrong foot.

See ya!

Reactions: EV Nick
OP
OP
EV Nick

EV Nick

TubeBuddy Pro
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Hey Nick.
See ya!

Thanks for feedback, and great info. I tend to buy a lav mic and when i do videos with 2 or 3 people have them all mic'd up, however matching the sound waves on the software i use now its HARD due to the software rendering very high the preview imagine where when i use a demo of prem pro it played smooth, i also believe it has tools to match audio sources so its more seamless?

Am also hoping to increase some technical stuff in my edits and add better cut screens. Green screen is something i'd want to use but i'd like to play with the software before i start getting into technical edits.

I think I'll hold off till i got my zoom and lav mics can you confirm it match's audio streams?

Greneey

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Yeh well. That's the kind of background info I was looking for at your first post.

Well yes, it is true. Premiere Pro does include a feature to synchronize clips by audio.
It usually works fine if I sync 2 clips. But as soon as I want to sync more than two clips its starting to become a pain in the butt.
Sometimes it works fine and sometimes it just won't work at all. That's the reason why I started using PluralEyes4 (Plugin fo Premiere Pro).
Since using PluralEye4 I never had a problem with "not able to sync" stuff again. Till now the highest was matching 5 different Audio Tracks.

Premiere Pro also does include a multi-cam feature which saves you time swapping between cameras on the go.

For the Greenscreen I would rather use After Effects then Premiere Pro, because you are more flexible regarding grading, rotoscoping and such things. Yet this means your costs will double because you have to license two instead of one product from Adobe.
I haven't had my hands on the Effect-Suite for Davinci (so no comment on greenscreen from me) but I think considering Davinci Resolve as a "free" alternative could save you real money here.