• Guest FORUM patch notes JUNE! Click Here to learn more!

Life YouTube and Google Ads Just Cost Me $600 Because of a Setting Change

This is a vent, but also a warning if you promote your videos.

Back in August, Google Ads took over the way you promote your YouTube videos. A new interface that changed the ways you place your ad. I decided to do a test, so I logged into the service, and promoted one of my older videos. It was suppose to be $5 for 7 days.

Fast forward to this morning when I noticed a charge on my Amex card for $150 from Google Ads. Going back in my statements, I found similar charges starting in September, racking a total of $600.

I called Google Ads because I didn't recognize the ad account on the charges (Google puts your 10 digit number in the title of the charge). Now I have to take one step back and say I have 2 different email addresses for Geekazine. The general "Gmail" one, and one on G-Suite going to @geekazine.com

The support agent said I had an account on the other email address. In thinking about it, when I tested an ad, I must've not known I was on the wrong address and set up Google Ads on it (thinking it was part of the rebrand process).

Further, I didn't know of a setting called "End Date", which the interface had changed. In the previous version, when you promote an ad, it asked what you wanted to pay for the ad, and how long you wanted the ad to run. The new version only asks for your "Daily rate", and you have to figure out how to go into the settings to add an end date for your ad.

There is no notification the setting existed. I learned through time of this.

Also, I never received an email telling me about each monthly charge. I scoured both email addresses and found nothing.

So as I spent more ad dollars using my correct email address account, the alternate was continuing to rack up a bill. Luckily, it's a bill I can handle, but still was pretty crappy to find out.

The support agent then said "Well, since you admitted to creating this ad, you have to pay." This is where I got upset. I asked for a manager/supervisor 4 times in which 3 times he refused. Finally, he said that he'll send a note to the supervisors, and they will get back to me.

I have yet to receive a call.

Reality is: I am being blamed for this, when Google Ads has changed the way the interface worked. I think it's very shady, not asking up front when you want to end an ad. In the last 3 months, I've been very vocal about it in their surveys, all while not realizing what I did.

I just want a future credit to promote a different video out of it. The video I spent $600 for is a good one, but 3 years old, and not the one I would've wanted to spend $600 on.

I will be calling Google Ads on Monday if I don't get any response. I've spent a lot of $$ to promote videos through their garden and build my channel. This stings. I'm just glad I caught it before it hit thousands of dollars...

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro
Honestly if you just miss the payments on your credit card that's not so good and makes it a bit unfair to blame it wholy on them.

Also how many views and subs did you got via that advertisement on that video?

Maybe be polite to them if they call you and try to negotiate for some free ads (guess 300 is a number to aim for).

In the end you set up the ads and they provided the ad space so you not really have a claim but on the other hand they absolutely can do something to restore your customer satisfaction.

I have no expiriences with Google ads service let us know how it turns out!

OP
OP
Jeffrey Powers
Yes, I missed those payments, but also didn't get sent bills for payment.

That is why I was upset - I wanted to negotiate a credit so I could promote other videos. The agent was simply rude to me saying it was my fault so live with it.

I am more frustrated in how the new Ads works. A few years ago I did a "Put a quarter on it" to show how to invest in the system that is giving you so much back works. I have yet to update that video simply because it's not that easy anymore.

Reactions: kunicross

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro
Yes, I missed those payments, but also didn't get sent bills for payment.

That is why I was upset - I wanted to negotiate a credit so I could promote other videos. The agent was simply rude to me saying it was my fault so live with it.

I am more frustrated in how the new Ads works. A few years ago I did a "Put a quarter on it" to show how to invest in the system that is giving you so much back works. I have yet to update that video simply because it's not that easy anymore.
Do they have the correct email information? It sounds very much like either that or spam filter etc. (if not just 1-2 mails are missing)

Reactions: Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
This is a vent, but also a warning if you promote your videos.

Back in August, Google Ads took over the way you promote your YouTube videos. A new interface that changed the ways you place your ad. I decided to do a test, so I logged into the service, and promoted one of my older videos. It was suppose to be $5 for 7 days.

Fast forward to this morning when I noticed a charge on my Amex card for $150 from Google Ads. Going back in my statements, I found similar charges starting in September, racking a total of $600.

I called Google Ads because I didn't recognize the ad account on the charges (Google puts your 10 digit number in the title of the charge). Now I have to take one step back and say I have 2 different email addresses for Geekazine. The general "Gmail" one, and one on G-Suite going to @geekazine.com

The support agent said I had an account on the other email address. In thinking about it, when I tested an ad, I must've not known I was on the wrong address and set up Google Ads on it (thinking it was part of the rebrand process).

Further, I didn't know of a setting called "End Date", which the interface had changed. In the previous version, when you promote an ad, it asked what you wanted to pay for the ad, and how long you wanted the ad to run. The new version only asks for your "Daily rate", and you have to figure out how to go into the settings to add an end date for your ad.

There is no notification the setting existed. I learned through time of this.

Also, I never received an email telling me about each monthly charge. I scoured both email addresses and found nothing.

So as I spent more ad dollars using my correct email address account, the alternate was continuing to rack up a bill. Luckily, it's a bill I can handle, but still was pretty crappy to find out.

The support agent then said "Well, since you admitted to creating this ad, you have to pay." This is where I got upset. I asked for a manager/supervisor 4 times in which 3 times he refused. Finally, he said that he'll send a note to the supervisors, and they will get back to me.

I have yet to receive a call.

Reality is: I am being blamed for this, when Google Ads has changed the way the interface worked. I think it's very shady, not asking up front when you want to end an ad. In the last 3 months, I've been very vocal about it in their surveys, all while not realizing what I did.

I just want a future credit to promote a different video out of it. The video I spent $600 for is a good one, but 3 years old, and not the one I would've wanted to spend $600 on.

I will be calling Google Ads on Monday if I don't get any response. I've spent a lot of $$ to promote videos through their garden and build my channel. This stings. I'm just glad I caught it before it hit thousands of dollars...
Sorry this happened, but it helped me learn and I do appreciate that. Please keep us posted on this.