Opinion "On December 13-14, 2018, you may see a noticeable decrease in your subscriber count..."

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
I noticed a banner on my YT studio page. I almost ignored it as I thought it was the same old 'annotations leaving' banner, but something caught my eye:
On December 13-14, 2018, you may see a noticeable decrease in your subscriber count as we remove spam from your channel. You will see an alert in YouTube Studio if impacted.
So... it is the 14DEC, has anyone seen a drop in sub numbers? I suspect they will be cleaning out old deleted accounts. But it could also be going after sub-4-sub? All the regulars on this forum are very good at discouraging sub-4-sub, so hopefully no one here gets hit too hard.

So far I have seen no noticeable drop in my subscriptions. I have been out of the country for 2 months and not paying attention, but it seems like about the same number I had.

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro
I lost one :joy:

I saw the message on the YT Twitter account I guess the numbers mostly are relevant regarding to subscribers base. (loosing 2.4 k when you have 500k subs would be about as much as my one)

I wanted to look into the statistics a bit later since I don't really trust them to be accurate down to hours so I'll take another peek on Sunday or Monday.

Reactions: GearVlogz and Paul

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I noticed a banner on my YT studio page. I almost ignored it as I thought it was the same old 'annotations leaving' banner, but something caught my eye:

So... it is the 14DEC, has anyone seen a drop in sub numbers? I suspect they will be cleaning out old deleted accounts. But it could also be going after sub-4-sub? All the regulars on this forum are very good at discouraging sub-4-sub, so hopefully no one here gets hit too hard.

So far I have seen no noticeable drop in my subscriptions. I have been out of the country for 2 months and not paying attention, but it seems like about the same number I had.
Thread gets a sticky

Karl F Rose

Newbie Member

I lost 4 subs

OP
OP
Tito Tim

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
I lost 11. I am ok with that. I know there were some inactive accounts, and I never played sub-4-sub. I am still up 50 for this month... and have not posted anything in almost 2 months (long vacation to the US). I am back to posting vids and getting back on track :)

Reactions: Paul

GearVlogz

TubeBuddy Pro
Gearvlogz.com
Knock on wood, If I were to believe this I did not lose any on Dec 13-14 time period. In reality, I see the numbers drop but by the end of the day, the subs lost were quickly regained if that makes sense.
20181219-023931_Sub-Purge.png

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro
Knock on wood, If I were to believe this I did not lose any on Dec 13-14 time period. In reality, I see the numbers drop but by the end of the day, the subs lost were quickly regained if that makes sense.
View attachment 2164
Could of course be that you gained 10 and lost 11 on that day since the graph only show the absolute number.

I think nobody who didn't loose like 2 digit precents of subscribers or just dropped below 1.000 subs should be to worried - most likely no views or watchtime should have been coming from those accounts and if youtube closed them nothing could come from there anyway.

I'm still glad nobody in the community here seems to have been substantially hit. :)

Reactions: Andrew

Shelena Shares

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I didn't see the banner and I finally hit 30 subs. That's right, thirty. Since adding TB 2 weeks ago I gained 3 subscribers and a significant increase in views.

Reactions: kunicross