YouTube News Replace an old video with an updated one?

Bo Kauffmann

New User
Hi. I posted a 'how to' video about 8 yrs ago. By my standards its pretty popular... (2,300 views..lol) but the techniques described in the video have now changed. Is there a way to replace an old, outdated video with a new one, or do I have to start from scratch?

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Usually, when people make an updated version of a how to video, they make it and then try to redirect anybody who is going on to the old tutorial. They'd make it like "2016 (OUTDATED)" "OUTDATED CHECK DESCRIPTION" or something along that line.

kunicross

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
The way Ikerot describes is a good possibility - if the video is so outdated it's problematic or contains misinformations you could also put it into private when you upload the new version - if it's 2300 total views it does not really matter. (2300 per month would be another story)
you could of course copy the tags etc. 1:1 from the old video but maybe a overhaul there would also help.

A 3rd option would be to put the old video into unlisted and link it in the description of the new one in case anyone wants to compare them. I did that once when a video did misplace some parts of the video while converting (and it still kinda fit together but not really)

OP
OP
Bo Kauffmann

Bo Kauffmann

New User
Usually, when people make an updated version of a how to video, they make it and then try to redirect anybody who is going on to the old tutorial. They'd make it like "2016 (OUTDATED)" "OUTDATED CHECK DESCRIPTION" or something along that line.
Thank you, thats helpful....Appreciate your take the time...

OP
OP
Bo Kauffmann

Bo Kauffmann

New User
The way Ikerot describes is a good possibility - if the video is so outdated it's problematic or contains misinformations you could also put it into private when you upload the new version - if it's 2300 total views it does not really matter. (2300 per month would be another story)
you could of course copy the tags etc. 1:1 from the old video but maybe a overhaul there would also help.

A 3rd option would be to put the old video into unlisted and link it in the description of the new one in case anyone wants to compare them. I did that once when a video did misplace some parts of the video while converting (and it still kinda fit together but not really)
Thank you very much....I appreciate your answer and will use some of the tips...

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal

Great advice! :D

Beanie Draws

I'm actually planning on redoing a large number of my old videos. You can pretty much get away with doing an entirely new video, and I wouldn't even necessarily see the need to mention anything about "2019 method" or anything like that that indicates that it's a new version. Just make the new ones as their own videos, if you WANT to mention the older version, you can have a quick mention and card, but overall I'd have a suggested video on the old video's endscreen linking to the new one, and put it in the description, and pin a comment with the link to the new video on the old related videos. I don't see a problem with having an old version and new version when they're years apart.