Question Thoughts on YouTube Rewind?

Aaron

Verified Professional
Lets think about this... what have we had this year? I'm pretty uncultured but when I try to think what happened this year all that really comes to mind is Celebrity deaths, YouTube drama and a few hit songs...

Idk how YouTube is gonna roll with that xD

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Lets think about this... what have we had this year? I'm pretty uncultured but when I try to think what happened this year all that really comes to mind is Celebrity deaths, YouTube drama and a few hit songs...

Idk how YouTube is gonna roll with that xD
Fortnite, Flossing [ Fortnite dance] that's all I can think of. Maybe Thank U, Next from ariana grande

Ikerot

TubeBuddy Star
I didn't like last years rewind, but that's also because I'm not too into the Youtube community (as weird as that sounds) xD Or at least it's more like I'm not into the mainstream Youtube.

I'll prob watch the 2018 rewind, depending on how many times I get advertised :thinking:

I'm assuming they're gonna shove in a bunch of Youtubers like last year and everything's gonna go by so fast that I won't even know what happened.

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I didn't like last years rewind, but that's also because I'm not too into the Youtube community (as weird as that sounds) xD Or at least it's more like I'm not into the mainstream Youtube.

I'll prob watch the 2018 rewind, depending on how many times I get advertised :thinking:

I'm assuming they're gonna shove in a bunch of Youtubers like last year and everything's gonna go by so fast that I won't even know what happened.
Truth haha!

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
I never heard of rewind. I watched 90 seconds of that one and Colbert was the only person I recognized ha ha. I use YT mostly as my TV and watch very few vloggers. I have been on YT since 2006 but the mainstream YT has never been a draw for me.

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I never heard of rewind. I watched 90 seconds of that one and Colbert was the only person I recognized ha ha. I use YT mostly as my TV and watch very few vloggers. I have been on YT since 2006 but the mainstream YT has never been a draw for me.
That's fair! They always push it, so I think it's interesting to get opinions!

GearVlogz

TubeBuddy Pro
Gearvlogz.com
Maybe they will have learned from their last year's mistakes. YouTube Rewind should be about YouTubers and what goes on the platform. They opened Rewind 2017 with Colbert while they have Philip DeFranco who would have been a better choice for that role, but instead, they have him as a grave ditch digger in the Die Meme scene.

Or there is this story of how one of the animators was asked to draw a scene told them that which scene she was going to draw when YT agreed later to come back to her to say that another artist was doing that scene after she was halfway done and could she did another scene. So she did two scenes for them. When she makes a video telling her viewers why she hasn't been uploading and shows rough drafts of what she was doing. YouTube hits her with some claim or took down her video. Till enough of a stink was made and overturned.

Yeah Like YouTube really cares about the creators that helped build their platform. YouTube Rewind 2018 will most likely be filled with MSM stars. I.E. Will Smith, Duane The Rock Johnson, Kevin Hart, etc...

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Yeah Like YouTube really cares about the creators that helped build their platform. YouTube Rewind 2018 will most likely be filled with MSM stars. I.E. Will Smith, Duane The Rock Johnson, Kevin Hart, etc...
I agree with a lot of what you said. This quoted section I just hope that doesn't happen o_O haha

GearVlogz

TubeBuddy Pro
Gearvlogz.com
I'm sorry that I called it. I get the Fortnite scene that makes sense. Even the Mukbang bit. I think I only recognized 1/3 of the YouTubers featured in Rewind 2018. Deep down I wonder how many YouTubers were asked to be in it and turned it down? I heard Philip DeFranco was asked but it stated: "Due to his busy schedule" he could not do it this year. More like he knew it was going to be a **** fest!

Remember in my earlier post I talked about that one animator that had to draw two scenes for them under their tight time frame. Keep in mind last year before she was asked to do Rewind 2017 she was working on a 500K Subscriber video that had to be turned into a 600K video during all that. So her channel kept growing I think she hit 1 million before VidCon 2018. Now was she asked to be apart of Rewind or do you think she turned it down? Keep in mind at least two of her animator community buddies were featured in that I know of and I'm sure those animators would have pushed to recommend her to YT to be a part of it. This just shows how petty or out of touch those who are in control of that project are with it's platform users and community.

Here is the best part. Like Andrew has stated the Like to Dislike ratio is so overwhelming at this time of writing this post 36 Million Views in the first day, 1.1 million Likes to 2.6M Dislikes. What's YT AI going to do hide this video from recommended videos? Maybe YT will disable the Comments & Like/Dislike feature!!!

In my opinion, If YT wants to attempt to Salvage/Save what is to be YT Rewind 2019 maybe they should reach out to the community that helped build this platform and let them decide on who & what gets showcased in it. If the Academy Awards determines who the winners are from its members why not us? Just throwing this out there a YT Community choice video.

For me, I think they did a lot of cool things, and a lot of meh things. The cringe wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for how YouTube have handled this year and last year.
Last year, they really should have focused on communicating with the community rather than pushing a rewind on us.
This year they improved a lot with the communication, creator insider is amazing (they really should always have that pinned at the top of the home page, like rewind was pinned last year) and I'm also glad they DIDN'T have a link to rewind in the home button like they did last year.

Having Will Smith was both a good and bad thing. I like Will Smith, and if any celebrity is going to be the face of youtube aside from PewDiePie, I'm glad they went with Will, but it is unfortunate they went with a movie star, rather than a creator the head the video. I'm on the fence because I love what Will is doing, and I can tell he wants to be in the creator community not for the fame, but simply for the expression in a form outside of film and acting, so I have no problem with him having a channel and being the figurehead of youtube. But it is unfortunate that youtube focuses so much on celebrity, and not as much on the smaller creator anymore.

Ninja was a copout. Sure, he edits his replays to work with YouTube, but if you promote your Twitch channels too heavily you risk a community guidelines strike, yet here's Ninjs, the main face of the OPPOSITION... as one of the first people in rewind. YouTube were really throwing a mixed message in there.

I also found it unfortunate that they went with a forest. As soon as I saw that, I couldn't help but be reminded of the suicide forest controversy. Maybe they weren't intending on that, but you can't have a forest like that, so soon within the same year of the event happening. It's like YouTube were saying "we're going to hope you forget all about the suicide forest by pushing fortnite in your faces instead, but we're still going to feature a forest"

The GOOD. The focus on multiculturalism, a stronger focus on Asian culture which I really enjoyed seeing. A stronger focus on animation and the strong focus on mental health and self empowerment was fantastic.

But when they said they were forgetting the comments, all I could think of was "NOOOOOO there be trolls and hate in the comments" lol :p

If they do one next year, I'd rather them just show short snippets of the best videos of the year and not focus so heavily on the celebrity nature. It was essentially a vidcon in video form. Made for teenagers mostly. Now excuse me as I shake my fist angrily at the clouds and tell the kids to get off my lawn :p

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
For me, I think they did a lot of cool things, and a lot of meh things. The cringe wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for how YouTube have handled this year and last year.
Last year, they really should have focused on communicating with the community rather than pushing a rewind on us.
This year they improved a lot with the communication, creator insider is amazing (they really should always have that pinned at the top of the home page, like rewind was pinned last year) and I'm also glad they DIDN'T have a link to rewind in the home button like they did last year.

Having Will Smith was both a good and bad thing. I like Will Smith, and if any celebrity is going to be the face of youtube aside from PewDiePie, I'm glad they went with Will, but it is unfortunate they went with a movie star, rather than a creator the head the video. I'm on the fence because I love what Will is doing, and I can tell he wants to be in the creator community not for the fame, but simply for the expression in a form outside of film and acting, so I have no problem with him having a channel and being the figurehead of youtube. But it is unfortunate that youtube focuses so much on celebrity, and not as much on the smaller creator anymore.

Ninja was a copout. Sure, he edits his replays to work with YouTube, but if you promote your Twitch channels too heavily you risk a community guidelines strike, yet here's Ninjs, the main face of the OPPOSITION... as one of the first people in rewind. YouTube were really throwing a mixed message in there.

I also found it unfortunate that they went with a forest. As soon as I saw that, I couldn't help but be reminded of the suicide forest controversy. Maybe they weren't intending on that, but you can't have a forest like that, so soon within the same year of the event happening. It's like YouTube were saying "we're going to hope you forget all about the suicide forest by pushing fortnite in your faces instead, but we're still going to feature a forest"

The GOOD. The focus on multiculturalism, a stronger focus on Asian culture which I really enjoyed seeing. A stronger focus on animation and the strong focus on mental health and self empowerment was fantastic.

But when they said they were forgetting the comments, all I could think of was "NOOOOOO there be trolls and hate in the comments" lol :p

If they do one next year, I'd rather them just show short snippets of the best videos of the year and not focus so heavily on the celebrity nature. It was essentially a vidcon in video form. Made for teenagers mostly. Now excuse me as I shake my fist angrily at the clouds and tell the kids to get off my lawn :p

This was so well said! I pretty much agreed with everything said here! Another point I wasn't too happy with was the long "Let's talk, and not show section" Around the fire. I think it had good intention, but missed some crucial marks. If I'm YouTube I would have to seriously think what is the direction of the 2019 Rewind.