Question What are your thoughts on the new forum layout?

Chase Charaba

TubeBuddy User
I'm a big fan of change and redoing things. I've done it many times with newspapers and stuff. However, I have mixed feelings about this update. I love the concept because it feels so modern and sleek. However, I feel like it makes everything more confusing than before, which is not a good thing. User interface should always be a number one priority over how something looks. That said, I can get used to it.

I'm just not sure it works for a forum. It deviates from the standard for what a forum should look and feel like. If that's the goal, then you've accomplished it. However, you lose the familiarity people coming from other forums have already. For example, when I joined I knew how to use everything because I've used other forums before. Now? I'm confused and have to relearn everything. Just being honest. I like the concept, but I'm not sure that I like it for a forum. Maybe if there was a better mix of new and old?

UPDATE: Okay, maybe that was a bit harsh. I just don't like the new homepage. That's what the above is referring to. All of the other updates to the actual forum pages and profiles look very nice :)

Last edited:

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
I'm a big fan of change and redoing things. I've done it many times with newspapers and stuff. However, I have mixed feelings about this update. I love the concept because it feels so modern and sleek. However, I feel like it makes everything more confusing than before, which is not a good thing. User interface should always be a number one priority over how something looks. That said, I can get used to it.

I'm just not sure it works for a forum. It deviates from the standard for what a forum should look and feel like. If that's the goal, then you've accomplished it. However, you lose the familiarity people coming from other forums have already. For example, when I joined I knew how to use everything because I've used other forums before. Now? I'm confused and have to relearn everything. Just being honest. I like the concept, but I'm not sure that I like it for a forum. Maybe if there was a better mix of new and old?

UPDATE: Okay, maybe that was a bit harsh. I just don't like the new homepage. That's what the above is referring to. All of the other updates to the actual forum pages and profiles look very nice :)
:thinking::thinking::thinking: I can understand what you're saying. I'm a sucker for the old forum format since it's something that's been around for years. At the same time, I can adapt to this new home page. I do like the update of the forum overall (with the list view and such). I'm also not saying this because Andrew totally didn't bribe me with all these thinking emojis :thinking:

For me, I can associate sections via pictures a lot easier. I can figure out which is which just from the picture, though those are few compared to the empty boxes with only the title. Going on another tangent, I don't like the .gif of the youtube logo. It distracts me every time I see it and I lose my place xD (I can also see how a lot of pictures and such can overload somebody's mind as they're used to the old forum format)

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I think the biggest issue for me is the overuse of red color ;) (see attached Screenshot, brownish Grey on red is not easy to read)
Also I'm really missing the channel button signatures but that's already addressed I think.
Alright I will fix that ASAP. Also working on the channel linking too.

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
So I'm having a tiny problem with the list view (when you go into a forum section) where it doesn't show me which thread has a new reply to it. Usually when it has a new response, it shows the title of the thread in bold, but I don't see it here. I thought I saw it two days ago (except in blue) :thinking:

The only way for me to see is looking at the date. I haven't clicked on it yet.
1543959775847.png

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
So I'm having a tiny problem with the list view (when you go into a forum section) where it doesn't show me which thread has a new reply to it. Usually when it has a new response, it shows the title of the thread in bold, but I don't see it here. I thought I saw it two days ago (except in blue) :thinking:

View attachment 2047
Might have broken when I fixed it! Will fix that ASAP!

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Working on a way to make it better, but a way to tell who the original poster is.

OP.png

Got a few questions, and this is a temp solution.

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com

View attachment 2047
icons.png

I added icons near the thread title to tell you if you have or haven't read it. Red closed envelope means new message. Black open envelope means already read thread. You can also hover over the symbols to see what they mean! Does that help @Ikerot :)

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I was pleasantly surprised to find that just clicking on the thread title automatically takes you to the first unread post in the thread... I was looking for an icon for it, but not needed :)
Correct! I also added this:

1543993678357.png

To make sure you have a choice to do so, if for some reason it doesn't work!