Question What are your thoughts on the new forum layout?

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
It may just take some getting used to, but to me the boxes make the page looked cluttered. The list view is cleaner. My bookmark opens to "new posts" (which is a list view) so I will not see the front page that often, though. Hopefully the new software has more features for us, and y'all. Stability is more important than the appearance. Keep up the great work.

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
It may just take some getting used to, but to me the boxes make the page looked cluttered. The list view is cleaner. My bookmark opens to "new posts" (which is a list view) so I will not see the front page that often, though. Hopefully the new software has more features for us, and y'all. Stability is more important than the appearance. Keep up the great work.
I am curious on "Cluttered" in what way? For me it's pretty clean, so I am curious on what you mean!

Ikerot

TubeBuddy Star
I get what @Tito Tim is saying. That was one of the first thing I thought too. It just looks like it takes up more space compared to the old forum theme where it's centered and boxed in, although I don't mind it as much since now I just have a bigger click area :imp:

Ater

Newbie Member
I really don't like the starting page, other than that it's pretty decent.

The main problem I have with the starting page is that it's harder to get a overview and quickly find the sub forum you are looking for. In the old page it took me like 1-2 seconds to see all the forum titles. Now I have to check box one, read what it says, then the eye need to move forward to box two read what it says and then on to box three, then scroll down, then do the same with next row etc etc. Also before the HUGE boxes and the big header I could more or less see everything at the same time, now I need scroll a lot. I only see the first two rows of boxes, there are seven rows and I need to scroll through like two and a half full screen to get every thing. It becomes even worse if I look at it on my lap top instead of my PC. On my lap top I only see the first row of boxes before I need to scroll, that's only three sub forums out of 18.

The same applies to the latest posts, which is one of the most important features for returning visitors. On the old version I can see the complete box with all the latest posts, ever single one of them. In the new design I can only see two of the latests post if I'm on PC and on my lap top I cant see a single one of them.

Also I miss the buttons that took you to other peoples YouTube page, I used that feature all the time on the old page.

I have included some screen shots.

Attachments

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
On the list page of new posts I think I am missing (overlooking?) something. Where is the 'go to first unread post' button?
I looked into this, and they removed it for new forums. However, there are ways to get there, and I will make an FAQ on this. Here they are for now:

1. Click on the title to go to the first post in the thread if they haven't read the thread
  2. Click on the title to go to the first unread posts if they have previously visited the thread
  3. Click on the date below the title to go to the first post in the thread (whether or not they have visited the thread previously)
  4. Click on the date in the right-hand column to go to the last post in the thread.

Source of them removing this feature: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/go-to-first-unread-link-missing-in-pagination.132399/

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I really don't like the starting page, other than that it's pretty decent.

The main problem I have with the starting page is that it's harder to get a overview and quickly find the sub forum you are looking for. In the old page it took me like 1-2 seconds to see all the forum titles. Now I have to check box one, read what it says, then the eye need to move forward to box two read what it says and then on to box three, then scroll down, then do the same with next row etc etc. Also before the HUGE boxes and the big header I could more or less see everything at the same time, now I need scroll a lot. I only see the first two rows of boxes, there are seven rows and I need to scroll through like two and a half full screen to get every thing. It becomes even worse if I look at it on my lap top instead of my PC. On my lap top I only see the first row of boxes before I need to scroll, that's only three sub forums out of 18.

The same applies to the latest posts, which is one of the most important features for returning visitors. On the old version I can see the complete box with all the latest posts, ever single one of them. In the new design I can only see two of the latests post if I'm on PC and on my lap top I cant see a single one of them.

Also I miss the buttons that took you to other peoples YouTube page, I used that feature all the time on the old page.

I have included some screen shots.
Good feedback! On the trying to quickly find a new subforum. If you hit the new post, it makes this SUPER easy for you to find where to post:

Where to post.png

On my screen the new forum posts show them all, but will work on that for other screens! Could you let me know the size dimensions, so I can test it please!

The YouTube subscriber button is being worked on as we speak! :D At the moment, the best action is the signature.

kunicross

TubeBuddy User
At first glance on the cell I was really confused, I kinda liked the old design more but that might be down to adjustment and being used to it hard to say at this point.

The new design seems to be better optimized for cellular use but somehow works worse for me. Really confusing!

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
At first glance on the cell I was really confused, I kinda liked the old design more but that might be down to adjustment and being used to it hard to say at this point.

The new design seems to be better optimized for cellular use but somehow works worse for me. Really confusing!
Somehow works worse for you in what way? On mobile? PC? In general?

Ater

Newbie Member
Good feedback! On the trying to quickly find a new subforum. If you hit the new post, it makes this SUPER easy for you to find where to post:

View attachment 2018

On my screen the new forum posts show them all, but will work on that for other screens! Could you let me know the size dimensions, so I can test it please!
I did this from work, my work computer is using 1920 x 1080, don't remember what my work lap top is using. Now at home I'm using 2048 x 1152, that lets me see 4/5 latest posts without scrollin, and the first three rows with forum topics.

I'm more of a forum reader then a poster, so most of the time I'm looking for different sub forums is because I wan't to read, not post, so would be strange clicking new post. From a usability perspective having to look at multiple different places and scroll a lot is bad when it comes to the starting page. Compare it to a web site where part of the menu is on the right side, part is on the top and part is on the left side, makes you have to look at three different places trying to find what you are looking for instead of heaving it all on the same place where the user can find it asap and easely get an overview of everything.

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I did this from work, my work computer is using 1920 x 1080, don't remember what my work lap top is using. Now at home I'm using 2048 x 1152, that lets me see 4/5 latest posts without scrollin, and the first three rows with forum topics.

I'm more of a forum reader then a poster, so most of the time I'm looking for different sub forums is because I wan't to read, not post, so would be strange clicking new post. From a usability perspective having to look at multiple different places and scroll a lot is bad when it comes to the starting page. Compare it to a web site where part of the menu is on the right side, part is on the top and part is on the left side, makes you have to look at three different places trying to find what you are looking for instead of heaving it all on the same place where the user can find it asap and easely get an overview of everything.
I'll work on a way to see the latest discussions earlier, and make it a bit more clear. I guess the forums aren't that "Lurker" Friendly. They're more poster friendly haha.

Ater

Newbie Member
Update:

View attachment 2021

You can now see who posted last, and what they were saying on the nodes. Helps see topics a little more.

Would more stuff like this help @Ater
I think it's a step in the right direction. But to get an overview of the different sub forums the 18 boxes still mean that my eyes need to travle to a bounch of different places on the screen which takes a lot longer and makes it impossible to see every sub forum at the same time like you could with the old forum, which is less optimal when it comes to usability.

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I think it's a step in the right direction. But to get an overview of the different sub forums the 18 boxes still mean that my eyes need to travle to a bounch of different places on the screen which takes a lot longer and makes it impossible to see every sub forum at the same time like you could with the old forum, which is less optimal when it comes to usability.
The idea is to go where you want to go. I still am able to, and when I test it on smaller screens it's not that difficult IMO. However, I don't wan to go back to the old layout, so what would you recommend? :)

Tito Tim

TubeBuddy User
For me the boxes look clunky, and harder to scan quickly. On a regular forum layout I can scan the page of text quickly to find topics (like reading a book). Going from one box to another feels unnatural and slows me down. Going down a list is fast & easy, going across the page looking at each box is slow.

But I am old... I cut my teeth on the old usenet (before www got popular). Text based is easier to use, but everyone now seems to think the boxes and buttons look better. Maybe on a phone it would look better? I am on a 27" monitor and it just looks cluttered and is more difficult to scan quickly.

As I said though, my bookmark takes me to the 'new post since last visit' page and it is a proper list. So generally I will not be seeing the front page.

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
For me the boxes look clunky, and harder to scan quickly. On a regular forum layout I can scan the page of text quickly to find topics (like reading a book). Going from one box to another feels unnatural and slows me down. Going down a list is fast & easy, going across the page looking at each box is slow.

But I am old... I cut my teeth on the old usenet (before www got popular). Text based is easier to use, but everyone now seems to think the boxes and buttons look better. Maybe on a phone it would look better? I am on a 27" monitor and it just looks cluttered and is more difficult to scan quickly.

As I said though, my bookmark takes me to the 'new post since last visit' page and it is a proper list. So generally I will not be seeing the front page.
Could you screenshot what it looks like? I would like to fix that and see if I can help make it better! :)

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
The boxes take up too much real estate, to me. The list view is easier on the eyes and more efficient to read. I can scan down one column instead of wandering all over the page.

View attachment 2024 View attachment 2025
Again, the way it's designed. Once you know where you want to go it's the familiar layout! It keeps the old with the area you want to go, and new with the face. Before they didn't take enough. It's all balance. I don't mind them being large, the idea is the content you want to discuss is behind those doors. Introduce yourself. Click there, and there is the familiar look for older users :) Before it was a lot of underutilized space :) Now it's more focused on the sections, and discussions. The "List view" is still there, the idea of the home, is to visualize the discussion areas, and then there is the list view for the conversations.

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Again, the way it's designed. Once you know where you want to go it's the familiar layout! It keeps the old with the area you want to go, and new with the face. Before they didn't take enough. It's all balance. I don't mind them being large, the idea is the content you want to discuss is behind those doors. Introduce yourself. Click there, and there is the familiar look for older users :) Before it was a lot of underutilized space :) Now it's more focused on the sections, and discussions. The "List view" is still there, the idea of the home, is to visualize the discussion areas, and then there is the list view for the conversations.
Would more images, and less color help?