• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

What mic should i use???

Shaunbhai

Hello everyone,

I have a new project starting up soon and it's going to involve filming interviews of people in center city Philadelphia. As you could imagine, it's loud in the city due to cars and crowds of people. I would really like for the noise to be dialed down as much as possible and obviously decent video quality.

I was wondering what the best camera and microphone is to use for these interviews? I'd prefer not to spend a fortune, but I will spend whatever I need to to get it done.

Thanks,
Shaunbhai

Reactions: TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hello everyone,

I have a new project starting up soon and it's going to involve filming interviews of people in center city Philadelphia. As you could imagine, it's loud in the city due to cars and crowds of people. I would really like for the noise to be dialed down as much as possible and obviously decent video quality.

I was wondering what the best camera and microphone is to use for these interviews? I'd prefer not to spend a fortune, but I will spend whatever I need to to get it done.

Thanks,
Shaunbhai

If you're going to be doing interviews I would focus on an external recorder ( IT will record quality audio than your on camera usally can)

I'd recommend a Rode Reporter $129.99 Link: http://www.rode.com/microphones/reporter

That's what we use for the TubeBuddy interviews!

For external recorder, I would probably recommend anything from Tascam or Zoom :)

Knowing your specific budget can help a good amount!

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Rode mics are always good. If you have an iPhone, I'd recommend getting the Shure MV88.

Bitbat

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Hello everyone,

Thanks,
Shaunbhai
HIGHLY reccomend the blue yeti. You can use audio editing programs and adjust the gain so there is almost no noise. You can hear voices loud and clear and is a multi-purpose mic, meaning that it has multiple modes for things like podcasts, singing, or even reports!

TanookiAlex

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
The mic that i recommend is a Blue Yeti Snowball. The investment is quite a tedious one, but it lasts very long. My microphone was a plug in and it automatically worked. However, with a blue Yeti, you might want to get something called a pop filter. They go for around $10 on amazon. Buying a pop filter, i found was useful, as my fish tank is noisy and i want to record only my voice in videos.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hello everyone,

Thanks,
Shaunbhai

For TB I use two rode procasters they are great, but it's all based on your budget!

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
The mic that i recommend is a Blue Yeti Snowball. The investment is quite a tedious one, but it lasts very long. My microphone was a plug in and it automatically worked. However, with a blue Yeti, you might want to get something called a pop filter. They go for around $10 on amazon. Buying a pop filter, i found was useful, as my fish tank is noisy and i want to record only my voice in videos.

Worth noting that a pop filter will not filter out the sound of the fish tank. Its designed to lessen the harshness of the air hitting the microphone. P's, B's and the hissing that sometimes can be found with the sound of the letter S are what a pop filter is designed for...

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
When you say "interviews of people" and "it's loud in the city due to cars and crowds of people," are you going to be in the shots or off camera? In other words is this going to be newscast-style where you're in the camera with the person being interviewed or documentary run-and-gun style where you're behind the camera?

Bitbat

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
When you say "interviews of people" and "it's loud in the city due to cars and crowds of people," are you going to be in the shots or off camera? In other words is this going to be newscast-style where you're in the camera with the person being interviewed or documentary run-and-gun style where you're behind the camera?
I think there's going to be a ton of car horns honking, people talking, and basically white noise in general. He needs something that will somewhat reduce that noise and a camera that will provide a decent run-and-shoot setup.