Strategy 2019 Already Mapped Out?

Damon

TubeBuddy User
I usually take off the last half of the Week during Thanksgiving for a bit of a refresher, then Go in the next week full force mapping out 2019. That way you have a whole year mapped out and building up before the new year gets here.

It always starts with looking back at what went well, and what didn't go well over the past year. A general rule I abide by is 15% of what I'm doing this year, I won't be doing next year, and vice versa. That way every 5 years or so you basically have a new business. My content will naturally grow as I grow.

For me Getting the GH4 and learning about documentary filmmaking has changed my content. The Sadly I haven't produced as many fishing videos as I want. Also, fishing and filming don't mix well. I don't catch anywhere nearly as many fish while trying to put together a fishing show. Eiter the fishing or the filming suffered. Then I realized, I'm not limited to fishing videos. Why not film the places I fish as it's own show? That way I can concentrate exclusively on filming. That way the days where I really want to fish for food, I leave the cameras at home, and fish!

Also since the cooler weather has come, the fishing has slowed. Why not use this next few months to explore the River NatGeo-style and document where I want to try fishing come spring.

Many fishing channel have fishing and hunting as their main thing. Spring and summers are spent fishing, then fall and winters are spent hunting., I build and hot rod mud motor. Why not feature the mud motor and my main vehicle for exploring the river. Mud motors were what gave me my initial surge of subscribers that got me to over 1,00 sub in the first place. I feel I have neglected that portion of my audience. This could be a way to reinvigorate that audience.

On the business side. I've spent a lot of time in the home office banging out products for customers. My talent is best spent on the river crafting more stories. I never wanted to buy myself a day job. While I enjoy making the products I sell, well, really I don't, what's selling those products are the stories I film on the river. I can't be two placed at once.

As a result I want to do consulting work helping other fishing and outdoor channels, or even mom-and-pop outdoor tackle shops to build brands on YouTube. I'm a teacher at heart as well. Teaching business is generally a far faster way to generate revenue than just the fishing alone.

Camera equipment. I want to invest in a second camera. I really want a GH5S, but I may end up with a GH5 because of the image stabilization. I want a dedicated camera for telephoto b-roll while on the river. Although I almost ever go heand held. It may be good to get a monopod, and use the IBIS in the GH5 for long-range telephoto work on those back creeks on the river.

These are a few ideas, that I'll be working on throughout the rest of 2018 going into 2019. I always take the last half of December off to rest, rejuvenate, watch movies, and chill the frell out. January 2, I get back to work, charging hard.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I usually take off the last half of the Week during Thanksgiving for a bit of a refresher, then Go in the next week full force mapping out 2019. That way you have a whole year mapped out and building up before the new year gets here.

It always starts with looking back at what went well, and what didn't go well over the past year. A general rule I abide by is 15% of what I'm doing this year, I won't be doing next year, and vice versa. That way every 5 years or so you basically have a new business. My content will naturally grow as I grow.

For me Getting the GH4 and learning about documentary filmmaking has changed my content. The Sadly I haven't produced as many fishing videos as I want. Also, fishing and filming don't mix well. I don't catch anywhere nearly as many fish while trying to put together a fishing show. Eiter the fishing or the filming suffered. Then I realized, I'm not limited to fishing videos. Why not film the places I fish as it's own show? That way I can concentrate exclusively on filming. That way the days where I really want to fish for food, I leave the cameras at home, and fish!

Also since the cooler weather has come, the fishing has slowed. Why not use this next few months to explore the River NatGeo-style and document where I want to try fishing come spring.

Many fishing channel have fishing and hunting as their main thing. Spring and summers are spent fishing, then fall and winters are spent hunting., I build and hot rod mud motor. Why not feature the mud motor and my main vehicle for exploring the river. Mud motors were what gave me my initial surge of subscribers that got me to over 1,00 sub in the first place. I feel I have neglected that portion of my audience. This could be a way to reinvigorate that audience.

On the business side. I've spent a lot of time in the home office banging out products for customers. My talent is best spent on the river crafting more stories. I never wanted to buy myself a day job. While I enjoy making the products I sell, well, really I don't, what's selling those products are the stories I film on the river. I can't be two placed at once.

As a result I want to do consulting work helping other fishing and outdoor channels, or even mom-and-pop outdoor tackle shops to build brands on YouTube. I'm a teacher at heart as well. Teaching business is generally a far faster way to generate revenue than just the fishing alone.

Camera equipment. I want to invest in a second camera. I really want a GH5S, but I may end up with a GH5 because of the image stabilization. I want a dedicated camera for telephoto b-roll while on the river. Although I almost ever go heand held. It may be good to get a monopod, and use the IBIS in the GH5 for long-range telephoto work on those back creeks on the river.

These are a few ideas, that I'll be working on throughout the rest of 2018 going into 2019. I always take the last half of December off to rest, rejuvenate, watch movies, and chill the frell out. January 2, I get back to work, charging hard.
That sounds like a solid plan Damon! How are you going to balance the difference between the three H's Hero, Help, and Hub? :D

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

TubeBuddy User
Oh, it's already built into the way I produce content:

Hero Content
My fishing adventure videos are my hero content. Documentary film-style videos about fishing and exploring the local waters I frequent. This will be accomplished with two shows: Juggin'! my fishing series where I experiment with unorthodoxed fishing methods. Then the new show Runnin'! where it's more about me exploring the river with my mud motors.

Help Content
Built in: I still have to maintain the boat engine, build new engines, make fishing tackle, teach new methods of fishing, demonstrate how my products work, teach how I shoot video all that, basically all the behind the scenes content is help content. Help content is what my channel was built on for the most part.

Hub Content
This is where I have always struggled the most. I'm not a people person, but trying to schedule a regular live cast with be the obvious option here. Sometimes people just want to hang and talk shop. Call it "Shop Talk Live Stream." I have to be careful though because my fishing schedule is determined by the lunar cycle. I have have to do them only on my off lunar fishing cycle. The New and Full Moons dictate everything I do. So, the scheduling becomes the greatest hurdle.

So Help content is what the channel was built on and what I do naturally. Hero content is what I worked on and developed last years when learning about documentary filmmaking, and color grading. This year may be the year of developing a solid Hub content strategy. That way I'll have the trifecta.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Oh, it's already built into the way I produce content:

Hero Content
My fishing adventure videos are my hero content. Documentary film-style videos about fishing and exploring the local waters I frequent. This will be accomplished with two shows: Juggin'! my fishing series where I experiment with unorthodoxed fishing methods. Then the new show Runnin'! where it's more about me exploring the river with my mud motors.

Help Content
Built in: I still have to maintain the boat engine, build new engines, make fishing tackle, teach new methods of fishing, demonstrate how my products work, teach how I shoot video all that, basically all the behind the scenes content is help content. Help content is what my channel was built on for the most part.

Hub Content
This is where I have always struggled the most. I'm not a people person, but trying to schedule a regular live cast with be the obvious option here. Sometimes people just want to hang and talk shop. Call it "Shop Talk Live Stream." I have to be careful though because my fishing schedule is determined by the lunar cycle. I have have to do them only on my off lunar fishing cycle. The New and Full Moons dictate everything I do. So, the scheduling becomes the greatest hurdle.

So Help content is what the channel was built on and what I do naturally. Hero content is what I worked on and developed last years when learning about documentary filmmaking, and color grading. This year may be the year of developing a solid Hub content strategy. That way I'll have the trifecta.
Awesome! I would say great hub content, is live streams, so maybe you could stream a catch and show your spoils!