• Guest - TubeBuddy now has a BLOG! Click Here to learn more!

In Progress A question about the new tag explorer.

Michael J Elliott

I just uploaded a video yesterday and noticed the new tag explorer.
Firstly, congrats Andrew and Phil for taking this to the next level. So much more info with weighted tags.
I have a question though.
Everytime I used the weighted tags the results were either poor or bad, when I used the suggested tags the results were the same.
My channel has 144 subs with between 5-35 views per video.
Does this mean, based on the weighted information that it will be virtually impossible for me to attain any sort of ranking?
I spent an hour using the TB suggested alternatives all weighted ones were bad or poor but when I switched to unweighted some were good or fair.
I'm not sure I should use them based on what the weighted screen says.
Andrew can you explain and/or point me towards some help?

Reactions: Damon

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
That's a good question, and I hope they get it sorted. I've wondered about this myself. I have seen that whenever I've noticed weighted keywords are good I almost always rank. Whenever I use unweighted keywords, I may or may not rank. I'm a bit confused as well, and I wonder how will a new person find their way up through the ranks.

Also I've found that a series of videos or playlist on a keyword phrase will more likely trigger the algorithm once you establish two or three videos on that subject.

That's how I broke into the mud motor keyword. Once I had several video on the subject, I started ranking on that subject.

OP
OP
Michael J Elliott

Michael J Elliott

That's a good question, and I hope they get it sorted. I've wondered about this myself. I have seen that whenever I've noticed weighted keywords are good I almost always rank. Whenever I use unweighted keywords, I may or may not rank. I'm a bit confused as well, and I wonder how will a new person find their way up through the ranks.

Also I've found that a series of videos or playlist on a keyword phrase will more likely trigger the algorithm once you establish two or three videos on that subject.

That's how I broke into the mud motor keyword. Once I had several video on the subject, I started ranking on that subject.
I'm with you Damon,
I could be on the pc for literally hours until I strike gold with a good weighted keyword.
Of course, I understand every channel will be different. You have a lot more subs and watch time than I do and it's probably the same for other larger channels.
Perhaps a new video from Andrew to help with finding the better weighted tags would help us.

Reactions: Damon

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
The way I look at it is like a stop light. How would you drive? If it's yellow do you yield or go faster? Red I usually stop, green obvious go. Weighted takes your channel authority into consideration. I always look for very low optimization score, because for me that's my chance to stand out for the term :)

OP
OP
Michael J Elliott

Michael J Elliott

The way I look at it is like a stop light. How would you drive? If it's yellow do you yield or go faster? Red I usually stop, green obvious go. Weighted takes your channel authority into consideration. I always look for very low optimization score, because for me that's my chance to stand out for the term :)
Great analogy Andrew!
I now have a clearer understanding of Tag Explorer.
I can choose to go if the light's amber or slow down and defo stop when it's red.
Full steam ahead when it's green.
Thanks so much :)

Reactions: Andrew