• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

What graphic card do you use for video editing?

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
Both my PC and my laptop are antique. I brought them both with to the Philippines back in 2013. The Toshiba laptop was about a year old, and the HP desktop was 2 or 3 years? I have never had computers last this long - I don't why they still work ha ha

HP Elite PC
i7 860
1 TB SATA
8 GB DDR3
ATI Radeon HD5570 1 Gb RAM

Toshiba Satellite Laptop
i7-3610QM
1 TB SATA
8 GB DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 7670M Graphics 1GB DDR3

The desktop will render vids but I can see the RAM usage goes up to about 90% and the CPU stays between 75-95%. It works but I am in the market for something new. It is so hot here I have to run the PC with the cover off and a desk fan blowing on the CPU. Dust is a constant problem, but I clean it regularly. Power drops have killed 2 power supplies and hard drive in the last 6 years, not bad, considering (and it is on a UPS with an AVR).

The laptop barely renders. RAM & CPU peg at 100%, and stay. I can only let it render for a minute or two, then have to pause for a few minutes to cool it off. I rarely use the laptop for editing. For rendering it sits in the airstream of the aircon, or will not work at all.

I am in the market for a new PC and am not sure what is more important - RAM or graphics? Not particularly interested in a laptop.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Both my PC and my laptop are antique. I brought them both with to the Philippines back in 2013. The Toshiba laptop was about a year old, and the HP desktop was 2 or 3 years? I have never had computers last this long - I don't why they still work ha ha

HP Elite PC
i7 860
1 TB SATA
8 GB DDR3

Toshiba Satellite Laptop
i7-3610QM
1 TB SATA
8 GB DDR3

The desktop will render vids but I can see the RAM usage goes up to about 90% and the CPU stays between 75-95%. It works but I am in the market for something new. It is so hot here I have to run the PC with the cover off and a desk fan blowing on the CPU. Dust is a constant problem, but I clean it regularly. Power drops have killed 2 power supplies and hard drive in the last 6 years, not bad, considering (and it is on a UPS with an AVR).

The laptop barely renders. RAM & CPU peg at 100%, and stay. I can only let it render for a minute or two, then have to pause for a few minutes to cool it off. I rarely use the laptop for editing. For rendering it sits in the airstream of the aircon, or will not work at all.

I am in the market for a new PC and am not sure what is more important - RAM or graphics? Not particularly interested in a laptop.

My old PC is about 5 years old, maybe more. I've had to upgrade it as parts went bad. New MoBo, better GPU but this is as far as I took it. At this point a replacement is more logical, thus the laptop.

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I used to build computers and kept up with all the gadgety tech... but have lived on rice field, in the jungle, the last 6 years... I have no idea what is out now. And why is i7 still good - it is 10 year old tech?

What kind of specs should I look for in an editing machine (that can play Guild Wars 2)? Looking at spending under $1,000.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I used to build computers and kept up with all the gadgety tech... but have lived on rice field, in the jungle, the last 6 years... I have no idea what is out now. And why is i7 still good - it is 10 year old tech?

What kind of specs should I look for in an editing machine (that can play Guild Wars 2)? Looking at spending under $1,000.

They have upgraded the i7 so many times its crazy. Though they do they do have the i9 now with, a ton of cores (I lost track at this point). You should be able to build a decent PC for $1000 that can do editing and play GW2. GW2 has very low PC hardware requirements. At least an i7, a GTX 1060 or 1070 and 16 GBs of DDR4. Here's a simple list, this list can easily be adjusted to save on parts and still have a decent setup for editing videos plus playing just about any game out there.

https://secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/...ail-_-sr-_-wishlist-FovRVwGzJms=-_-02/26/2019

Reactions: Bitbat

Don In 5

Subscriber Goal
These are amazing setups. I currently use a 2013 dell 660 i3 that sounds like it has an overweight hamster on a broken hamster wheel inside.

Reactions: Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been there. That's about where my current computer is. I've managed to keep this thing running longer than I expected, and it's time to a rebuild. I've been building computers since graduate school. Haven't bought a new computer in, oh, like 2003, lol. It always a rebuild, and I only rebuild the components that need to be upgraded.

Reactions: Don In 5

Bitbat

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I cannot afford a graphics card due to the really bad prices for computer parts in canada. Instead, i have to use my "integrated graphics" on my laptop. However, this results in slower editing and program speed and extremely slow export times. :(

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I cannot afford a graphics card due to the really bad prices for computer parts in canada. Instead, i have to use my "integrated graphics" on my laptop. However, this results in slower editing and program speed and extremely slow export times. :(
What laptop are you using?

Bitbat

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
These are amazing setups. I currently use a 2013 dell 660 i3 that sounds like it has an overweight hamster on a broken hamster wheel inside.
Wanna see my setup?
This bad thing:
HP COMPAQ 8000 elite(2006 or earlier)
Non-hd HP COMPAQ monitor that can only play things at a max of 60 fps
The worst, most obsolete processor: intel core 2 duo. Programs stutter, can run flash games at less than 15 fps and more. The newer ones have intel core I3's in them. Can't process video that well.
The case is prone to dust, and i have to use the default keyboard and mouse that came with it. The keyboard feels very heavy, and like a piece of rubber. The mouse has that ΓÇ£ergo curve ΓÇ£that i hate, where the curve for your hand is so large that my hand slips off when using it. It forces you to use palm grip, which i find low accuracy when using. In addition, the keyboards are worn out.

Don't forget that it has no graphics card too! This makes it unable to render hd content at it's finest.
Also, keyboard is prone to dust. Since this is a shared workstation, the keyboard is filled with dust and people put on the keyboard feet (which i absolutely hate due to it being really unnatural for my wrists) up by default, and then for the next person to use. It has no mousepad as well.
To sum it up, it can only browse the web at low speeds and can run office programs. Very, low end computer that was probably donated by the other schools in our board.

What laptop are you using?
I don't remember, but it's an hp laptop from the 2010's. I share the same laptop with my sister, TanookiAlex.

That's because Apple doesn't choose to put coolers in their macbooks
The Mac Pro was reliable for 4 years but in no way was it as good as machine as it looks to be. Thing ran so hot you could cook a steak on it and because of that the machine rarely if ever performed as well as it should have and eventually it had a GPU died which made it where if I tried to run at the supported 4k60 the screen would flicker and glitch so bad that the computer would become unusable. Once I burnt out the SSD I was really SOL but from the start the machine was never really perfect.

Yeah the new build is gonna be great though.. and it costs less than the original price of my Mac and for that I'm absolutely in awe.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
In the beginning I used to use no graphics card. Whatever was available on my i3 all in one, and movie maker :)
Then I upgraded to a surface pro and that had an i7 with an inbuilt graphics card.

Now I use the almight GTX 1080ti Strix :) (which is now also outdated thanks to the 20something)

I used a MacBook Pro for editing a music video once. It wasn't a fun experience with all the overheating issues.

Bitbat

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
In the beginning I used to use no graphics card. Whatever was available on my i3 all in one, and movie maker :)
Then I upgraded to a surface pro and that had an i7 with an inbuilt graphics card.

Now I use the almight GTX 1080ti Strix :) (which is now also outdated thanks to the 20something)

I used a MacBook Pro for editing a music video once. It wasn't a fun experience with all the overheating issues.
The gtx 1070-1080 is a very common graphics card. It might be a bit dated, but it gets the job done really well.
For the graphics card in the com tech lab, i think we have a nvidia geforce 1050-1060 ti. The graphics card gets a video that takes 5 minutes long into an export of 10 minutes. That's one powerful setup.

I think it's because mac doesn't put coolers into their pcs. When i'm playing my games or answering quora questions heck, does my ipad heat up like a volcano.

HP Elite PC
i7 860
1 TB SATA
8 GB DDR3

Toshiba Satellite Laptop
i7-3610QM
1 TB SATA
8 GB DDR3

Ram is basically extra memory that a program accesses to make sure it runs smoothly. If you're using chrome heavily then you will need a lot of ram. Graphics is also important if you are uploaded high quality content.