• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

What graphic card do you use for video editing?

LastingSpark

Hi all,

Was wondering what graphic card you guys use for editing, be it internal or dedicated. I know CPU and RAM are important, but my only bottleneck at the moment is my GPU.

I am currently using integrated Intel graphics to edit 4K footage and it can be a real pain. I used to have a dedicated GPU, but it broke, 5 months back. Was waiting for the prices of GPU's to go down due to the crypto currency craze.

I found a great deal on the AMD RX 580, so I might pounce :D

Below is my setup for those that care. I still haven't removed the plastic wrapper from my computer case.

upload_2018-10-29_22-26-42.png

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi all,

Was wondering what graphic card you guys use for editing, be it internal or dedicated. I know CPU and RAM are important, but my only bottleneck at the moment is my GPU.

I am currently using integrated Intel graphics to edit 4K footage and it can be a real pain. I used to have a dedicated GPU, but it broke, 5 months back. Was waiting for the prices of GPU's to go down due to the crypto currency craze.

Below is my setup for those that care. I still haven't removed the plastic wrapper from my computer case.

View attachment 1897

Love this thread! I am using a intel i7! I use a Geforce 1080 and 32 gigs of ram for rendering!

Reactions: Aaron

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi all,

View attachment 1897

Before anything else I just want to say your using my favorite case design in existence (The 780t with its automotive inspired look just brings me joy but it isn't big enough to reliably fit my build.)

I've been editing on my Mac Pro for a solid 4 years until I recently made the jump to 4k and found that my machine which was rated to handle 4k couldn't handle it at all (and then ended up having a part fail in it causing incredible slow-downs in basic workflow to where I've been using a macbook air for months). GPU ended up being a bottleneck for me as well although it didn't help that Apple clearly throttled the speeds of the Mac Pro to control the temperatures making the hardware slower than it would be on paper.

My mac used Crossfire'd AMD D700 Firepro cards (Basically two of their W5000 Workstation cards at the end of the day as the cards are basically identical) If you were to compare that to a gaming card my understanding is that it would be somewhat similar to a GTX 750. If 3DMark test scores are anything to go off of the card your looking at should perform pretty significantly better than both of the cards in my old system ever did... albeit they are two very different classes of GPUs as mine were designed for 24/7 workstation use.

My new build that I'm literally in the middle of putting together is using a tried and tested combination that not only will real-time edit 4k raw video but will also handle 8k at half resolution preview (for premiere). Some editing programs like Davinci Resolve recommend multi-gpu systems so that one card can work on the video while the other powers your display although I can't give you any proof to back up that suggestion and I'll be sure to do some benchmarking to test that out. Here is the parts list for my current build I'm putting together which will hopefully be complete by the end of November: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JHHTV6 This doesn't include any of my peripherals I use and its just the internal parts.

Edit: to save you needing to even look at the parts list I'm using 2 third party FOC'd versions of the 1080ti card, specifically the EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Elite, Ryzen Threadripper 2950x CPU and 64GB of DDR4 3200mhz CAS 14 Ram

Last edited:
OP
OP
LastingSpark

LastingSpark

Well I decided to pounce and got it up running. I can see a big difference, my screen stopped flickering xD

My specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz
RAM: 32.0GB DDR4
Motherboard: MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA (LGA1151)
Graphics: 8192MB ATI Radeon RX 580 Series

Andrew:
you have a beast of a machine nice.

Aaron: Yep same here, my favourite case so far in terms of looks and has more than enough space for me.
I had a macbook pro, which I used as my "coding" laptop.

As everything just seems to work first time on mac, in terms of developer tools. However, whenever I tried to edit 4k footage, it would struggle massively.
I also couldn't justify having 1k worth of tech just sat there, so sold it last week.

Just had a look at the Mac Pro, they look like quality pieces of kit, but seem so pricey.

Wow, your new build seems that of dreams :D

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-1_18-16-18.png
    upload_2018-11-1_18-16-18.png
    819.1 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: TubeBuddy

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
Well I decided to pounce and got it up running. I can see a big difference, my screen stopped flickering xD

My specs:

Andrew:

Aaron: Yep same here, my favourite case so far in terms of looks and has more than enough space for me.

As everything just seems to work first time on mac, in terms of developer tools. However, whenever I tried to edit 4k footage, it would struggle massively.
I also couldn't justify having 1k worth of tech just sat there, so sold it last week.

Just had a look at the Mac Pro, they look like quality pieces of kit, but seem so pricey.

The Mac Pro was reliable for 4 years but in no way was it as good as machine as it looks to be. Thing ran so hot you could cook a steak on it and because of that the machine rarely if ever performed as well as it should have and eventually it had a GPU died which made it where if I tried to run at the supported 4k60 the screen would flicker and glitch so bad that the computer would become unusable. Once I burnt out the SSD I was really SOL but from the start the machine was never really perfect.

Yeah the new build is gonna be great though.. and it costs less than the original price of my Mac and for that I'm absolutely in awe.

Reactions: LastingSpark

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal

My specs:

Andrew:

Not bad specs yourself! :D

GearVlogz

TubeBuddy Pro
www.gearvlogz.com
Subscriber Goal
Not sure how much this plays into the deciding factor but depending on what your using for editing software could play into which card to get. I've heard that Adobe Premiere is set up for the NVidia cards and not sure how well with the AMD's. in my laptop I'm running a GTX1070, I just wish that I could afford the subscription fees for Adobe CC.

OP
OP
LastingSpark

LastingSpark

Only downside is that my monitor uses AMD freesync.
So was pretty much stuck on a AMD GPU, if I wanted to use that feature.
GTX1070 not a bad card at all.
Adobe Subscription fee's do suck...

Reactions: GearVlogz and Aaron

Photoguy

Subscriber Goal
I go with my GTX 1080, 16 gig RAM, Intel i7, and a very silent case so there's no noise from the fans while recording audio. I also use minimun lighting effects in case I do vlogging so there's no unwanted lights in the picture. Also have two screens and a studio mic with a mic stand that is mounted on my desktop table.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I go with my GTX 1080, 16 gig RAM, Intel i7, and a very silent case so there's no noise from the fans while recording audio. I also use minimun lighting effects in case I do vlogging so there's no unwanted lights in the picture. Also have two screens and a studio mic with a mic stand that is mounted on my desktop table.

Sounds like a well thought out setup! Do you use Be quiet! For your case? :)

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
If you have a tight budget buy a 1080 as it is the best option and wont regret it. I recommend you wait for nvidia to unveil the 1080ti

The 1080 is not a budget card, the 1080ti already exists but is out of production due to RTX 20 series cards.

If your budget is infinite you should grab a GTX Titan Pascal, the titan is the best of the best in graphic cards and it provides a lot of raw power. Titans are good for editing as they have a doble precision floating point. And are more powerful than 1080s If you want to go more badass than the titan, get hold of a quadro p6000 that is basically a Titan with more cores and 24GB OF VRAM That can operate in ECC (Error Correction Code) apart of that it has 10 bit colour support. And costs 5,000,00 USD.

The GTX Titan (Pascal) which imho is obsolete was replaced by the Titan Xp(Pascal)/Titan V (Volta) was overtaken by the RTX Titan. The RTX Titan based on UserBenchmark data is the fastest GPU in the world at $2,500.

Now to talk about Workstation aimed Quadro GPUs... The best Quadro card currently from my understanding would be the Quadro GV100 (Volta), the Quadro RTX 6000 (Turing) or the Quadro P6000 (Pascal)... The GV100 is the fastest option if you want full ECC including the GPU Cache as the P6000 and RTX 6000 are only ECC for the ram. I'd be interested to see what the Quadro RTX 8000 specs will look like as it will likely blow both of those cards out of the water.

Also little known fact.. the recent GeForce cards all support 10 bit.. its just only through Direct X while the Quadros support OpenGL... If you work in an industry requiring 10-bit or higher then look no further than Blackmagic ;)

Turing architecture is the future, we might as well embrace that (or AMD's Navi depending how that goes). If you want budget, get a 2060/2070. If you want to be a baller, get an RTX Titan. If you just want to waste money and get something you don't likely need, get a Quadro card LOL... I doubt any YouTubers would have reason to purchase a card like that unless they were going beyond YouTube.

Last edited:

Guitar Hack

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Hi All,
Can I weigh in?
I'm running a GTX650 Doh!
I'm using DaVinci Resolve, Filmora and Mixcraft8 that has a video track as well.
I found out when building my PC, (and not upgrading the video card till last), that I didn't have to.
Here are my specs
specs.jpg

I spent the money on an SSD Boot drive Samsung 960 Evo.
8 cores and 16 threads with 16 GB DDR4 ram. (Double Data Rate so 1496MHz is actually 3000MHz)
Plays any game I throw at it. Frame rate drops to around 30, but that's ok.
Here's the UserBenchMark
Hope this helps :)
bench.jpg

Reactions: Ikerot and Aaron

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
My new build is an AMD Ryzen 7 2700x with a GTX 1080ti and 24gb of ram.

I used to have an i7 with a dual GTX 970 before I broke the motherboard + cpu >.>

Reactions: Aaron and Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, my machine is old, but still gets the job done:

AMD 8350
GTX 750 ti
8 gb ram

I hope to build a machine much like Ike's specs. I want to stick with AMD. Whenever I do a build it's always CPU, video card, memory motherboard of generally the same level.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
My old PC has decent hardware though considered pretty outdated by today's standards. But it can still play most games just fine and can render my videos on Vegas Pro 15 though it's a bit slower than my laptop. I got the laptop a while back though I may not end up keeping it. Been paying it slowly but considering current circumstances I may have to let it go. But at least I'll still have my old PC.

Old PC Specs:

CPU - Core i5 3.10GHz
Memory - 8GB DDR3
GPU - GTX 970
Drive - Samsung SSD 850 Pro 500GB

New Laptop Specs:

CPU - Core i7 2.8GHz
Memory - 16GB DDR4
GPU - GTX 1050
Drive - Samsung M.2 PM961 128GB