Seeking Advice Videos Created 'Based' On Other's Articles? COPYRIGHT RISK?

There's tons of great written content in my niche that I'd love to adapt to video form and make available on YouTube.

I know that taking the whole text and using TTS is a BIG NO-NO right now.

What ARE the rules on adapting other's content? Can I use 50% of an article? 100%? What if I just put the cliff notes?

Please Help TubeBuddies!!

Ceorge_Christofi

TubeBuddy Star
I would say if you cite your sources after reading articles in sections with your own views on them it would be ok. You are then providing a commentary and crediting the source. I would say though if you just screen shot the page then that would be a no no. It would be like the work my daughters do for university. They can copy sections on text as a quote and then cite the text as opinion and as long as they provide an interpretation it is ok, Just copying and pasting is classed as plagiarism and could get them kicked off the course.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
I would say if you cite your sources after reading articles in sections with your own views on them it would be ok. You are then providing a commentary and crediting the source. I would say though if you just screen shot the page then that would be a no no. It would be like the work my daughters do for university. They can copy sections on text as a quote and then cite the text as opinion and as long as they provide an interpretation it is ok, Just copying and pasting is classed as plagiarism and could get them kicked off the course.
This is pretty spot on! Also include the sources in the description, and you should be fine!

Redspan

TubeBuddy Star
www.redspan.com
I read this old saying somewhere recently:

Copying from one article is plagiarism
Copying from several articles is research

The trick is to read two or more articles on the subject of your next video and then write a script in your own words. Then, as Andrew says above, credit the sources of your inspiration.

Snowyamur

Newbie Member
There's tons of great written content in my niche that I'd love to adapt to video form and make available on YouTube.

What ARE the rules on adapting other's content? Can I use 50% of an article? 100%? What if I just put the cliff notes?

It would like be writing an essay.

I would say include information that you believe is relevant and something you want your audience to know about. Take that information and say it in your own words, like @Redspan said. That way, you aren't committing entirely to paraphrasing.

Once you've finished your custom-statements, always credit the source. It doesn't matter how much content you used; no matter what form of information you've used, if that information comes from someone else, you need to credit them or else it's plagiarism, like @Ceorge_Christofi said.

In my opinion, it would be best to credit the source you're about to say before you mention any information regarding it because that way, your audience knows you're credible for the information you're providing through your videos. It would also be best to credit the source in the video description, that way if your audience misses who you gave credit to, they can see it below in the video's information.

kunicross

TubeBuddy User
If it's smaller niche stuff like blogs you can of course always ask the creator if you can use their work, and under which conditions. (does work for bigger ones as well but they might ignor you)

If you create your own video based on other content that is usually no real problem - if you just read what somebody else wrote with nothing of your own it's not.

For example if you read a non public domain book reading the whole book on video would fall under copyright infringement - if you talk about the book or retell the story in your own words stuff like that is less problematic.

If you aim for fair use on YouTube it's difficult because there are no straight lines there - check https://www.youtube.com/intl/en-GB/yt/about/copyright/fair-use/

Nick Nimmin

TubeBuddy Legend
tubertools.com

It's a good idea to mix it up. Plus, that makes it unique content because you're curating the information and then packaging it up into a new piece of shared information. Try to use several articles to make a mash up of the information.