Seeking Advice My Channel is not Growing At All

Content Quality of my YouTube Channel

• Trash

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Competitive enough

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Good Day Ma'am and sir, my name is LoneDespair I've been Making videos for at least a month now and posted over 7 Videos

but even after i gathered some viewers through advertising YouTube doesnt seem to suggest my videos,

the ratio of my watch time to views is just all right, when i dont advertise my videos i get 0 views and it means i have to advertise again and again to the point that my Channel is not Growing at all

but i see other channels with same niche as me that post really bad content but gets over 2k with minimal advertising,

its frustrating on how much time it took me to make the videos to just not grow at all after i advertsed it.

Pls help me, any advice would be appreciated, i dont hope for a sudden growth overnight but just a noticeable growth to motivate me to continue what im doing.

I really love to continue youtube, but i feel betrayed by YouTube being dumped over by low quality content from other content creators

Last edited by a moderator:

Ceorge_Christofi

TubeBuddy Star
I'll be really honest but please don't take it as an attack on you as a person.

I don't do gaming. I clicked because you wanted advice. I don't know minecraft so I wanted to find out something from your most recent video. All I saw initially was a blocky walkthrough with a scene cut. Then I got to the part where you started to say something. I tried, honestly I did, but I could not understand what you were saying because the audio was so bad. I guess that English may not be your first language which makes the audio even more important.

I can understand English in a lot of accents, both domestic and foreign to the UK. I come from a mixed heritage background myself so I understand the difficulties. (my Greek gets laughed at for having a London accent). I work with people from all across Europe and some are fluent, others only a basic grasp but we manage. Your audio in that one video was distorted to the point on unintelligibility. I couldn't listen past the first few bits of digging that you were doing in the hole and clicked off. This will be why you are not growing.

You can get away with badly edited, poor quality video if your audio is good. People will not however sit and try and make out a bad soundtrack.

I suggest maybe recording the audio as a voice over, separate from your video and then putting the two together. I am not suggesting spend money on expensive software or microphones or other such things but with basic equipment and free software you will be able to produce watchable content. I don't know how you currently work and capture video and audio so I don't have the ability to give you specific advice regarding either.

So there you have my honest and unbiased opinion. Again, please do not take it as criticism of you as a person. Please also do not take it as a total negative response. I tried to be honest and give you a factual opinion based on the single video I watched.

Damon

TubeBuddy User
Honestly I couldn't make it past the first 12 seconds. I tried it again, and I couldn't make it past the first 24 seconds. People need to get off this watch-me-play-videos-games kick. And all this there's-this-other-YouTuber-in-the-same-niche-who-gets-way-more-views-than-me. You are not guaranteed success just because you made videos like someone else.

You gotta learn to make real videos. Ceorge is right: There are lots of free tools out there. I use Linux, so I don't even have to pay for my operating system. I don't understand why people think they can make a hand full of videos and expect the world to beat a path to their door just because they turned on the camera and hit the record button.

You can not have success without paying the price. Check out a book titled "How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck." At the very least check out the guy's blog. Read and do everything he says, and you will have videos worth watching. If you have videos worth watching, you will develop an audience over time. The audience may be big or small, but you have to learn to properly structure and video.

Good audio is a big thing that almost no one understands. First thing is fix your audio. Second thing is learn make a real video, not just another video gamer. If it's just about you, then you won't find much success.

An old Chinese proverb, "No on enters a shop to please the shop owner." (That's more of a paraphrase.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
LoneDespair
I'll be really honest but please don't take it as an attack on you as a person.

I don't do gaming. I clicked because you wanted advice. I don't know minecraft so I wanted to find out something from your most recent video. All I saw initially was a blocky walkthrough with a scene cut. Then I got to the part where you started to say something. I tried, honestly I did, but I could not understand what you were saying because the audio was so bad. I guess that English may not be your first language which makes the audio even more important.

I can understand English in a lot of accents, both domestic and foreign to the UK. I come from a mixed heritage background myself so I understand the difficulties. (my Greek gets laughed at for having a London accent). I work with people from all across Europe and some are fluent, others only a basic grasp but we manage. Your audio in that one video was distorted to the point on unintelligibility. I couldn't listen past the first few bits of digging that you were doing in the hole and clicked off. This will be why you are not growing.

You can get away with badly edited, poor quality video if your audio is good. People will not however sit and try and make out a bad soundtrack.

I suggest maybe recording the audio as a voice over, separate from your video and then putting the two together. I am not suggesting spend money on expensive software or microphones or other such things but with basic equipment and free software you will be able to produce watchable content. I don't know how you currently work and capture video and audio so I don't have the ability to give you specific advice regarding either.

So there you have my honest and unbiased opinion. Again, please do not take it as criticism of you as a person. Please also do not take it as a total negative response. I tried to be honest and give you a factual opinion based on the single video I watched.
Thanks for your advice sir, i really appreciate your honest feedback without offending me, i use my phone mic and read a script after recording it, is a 2-10 dollar lavalier mic going to improve my audio?
Honestly I couldn't make it past the first 12 seconds. I tried it again, and I couldn't make it past the first 24 seconds. People need to get off this watch-me-play-videos-games kick. And all this there's-this-other-YouTuber-in-the-same-niche-who-gets-way-more-views-than-me. You are not guaranteed success just because you made videos like someone else.

You gotta learn to make real videos. Ceorge is right: There are lots of free tools out there. I use Linux, so I don't even have to pay for my operating system. I don't understand why people think they can make a hand full of videos and expect the world to beat a path to their door just because they turned on the camera and hit the record button.

You can not have success without paying the price. Check out a book titled "How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck." At the very least check out the guy's blog. Read and do everything he says, and you will have videos worth watching. If you have videos worth watching, you will develop an audience over time. The audience may be big or small, but you have to learn to properly structure and video.

Good audio is a big thing that almost no one understands. First thing is fix your audio. Second thing is learn make a real video, not just another video gamer. If it's just about you, then you won't find much success.

An old Chinese proverb, "No on enters a shop to please the shop owner." (That's more of a paraphrase.)
i appreciate your efforts to write a comment however pls read my entire thread before replying, as i said i dont expect for an overnight success, what im up to is an advice and a constructive criticism to judge my videos with less bias and another perspective, thanks for your advice sir.

Last edited:

Ceorge_Christofi

TubeBuddy Star
Thanks for your advice sir, i really appreciate your honest feedback without offending me, i use my phone mic and read a script after recording it, is a 2-10 dollar lavalier mic going to improve my audio?
The honest answer is that I don't know. I have seen good and bad microphone elements in the lower end units. I am an electronics and audio tech so I tend not to look at the lower end of the market. I have heard that the Boya range of cheap lav mics work well with phones but I have no personal experience. What I will say though is to use some good recording app that allows you to set the sampling rate as high as possible and one that gives you a visual level meter. Again, not having used things like that myself I cannot recommend any app over another. It also depends on your phone as well, if it is android or ios.

With the level, you are looking to set the maximum peak to be at 0dB and the average to be somewhere in the -6 to -3dB region without distortion. You may have to try lots of sample recordings to get it right. I have a habit of reciting nursery rhymes when setting up equipment but reading any passage of text will suffice. read it several times and at the beginning say what the settings are. For example:- Gain set to 4, microphone 30 cm from mouth... mary had a little lamb she also had a bear...

You get the idea.
Listen back to the audio through headphones. Do not try and set things up in open space and rely on the phone speaker. I have yet to find any telephone speaker that sounds average, let alone good. Again, I personally use pro grade gear so I cannot recommend any particular type of phone headphones that might be classed as low end. Over ear headphones are generally better than the standard bud type with the in-ear ones being a close second.

Once you have the sound that you like best, then you can start recording your voiceover commentary for your videos.

I hope this helps you.

OP
OP
LoneDespair
Yes, a cheap Lavaliere microphone will greatly improve your audio.
The honest answer is that I don't know. I have seen good and bad microphone elements in the lower end units. I am an electronics and audio tech so I tend not to look at the lower end of the market. I have heard that the Boya range of cheap lav mics work well with phones but I have no personal experience. What I will say though is to use some good recording app that allows you to set the sampling rate as high as possible and one that gives you a visual level meter. Again, not having used things like that myself I cannot recommend any app over another. It also depends on your phone as well, if it is android or ios.

With the level, you are looking to set the maximum peak to be at 0dB and the average to be somewhere in the -6 to -3dB region without distortion. You may have to try lots of sample recordings to get it right. I have a habit of reciting nursery rhymes when setting up equipment but reading any passage of text will suffice. read it several times and at the beginning say what the settings are. For example:- Gain set to 4, microphone 30 cm from mouth... mary had a little lamb she also had a bear...

You get the idea.
Listen back to the audio through headphones. Do not try and set things up in open space and rely on the phone speaker. I have yet to find any telephone speaker that sounds average, let alone good. Again, I personally use pro grade gear so I cannot recommend any particular type of phone headphones that might be classed as low end. Over ear headphones are generally better than the standard bud type with the in-ear ones being a close second.

Once you have the sound that you like best, then you can start recording your voiceover commentary for your videos.

I hope this helps you.
thank you so much for your time and advice :)

I'd using lower end lavalier for now, as it's only what my budget can afford yet,

Otto Oome

New User
TubeBuddy Pro
Good Day Ma'am and sir, my name is LoneDespair I've been Making videos for at least a month now and posted over 7 Videos
but even after i gathered some viewers through advertising YouTube doesnt seem to suggest my videos,
the ratio of my watch time to views is just all right, when i dont advertise my videos i get 0 views and it means i have to advertise again and again to the point that my Channel is not Growing at all
but i see other channels with same niche as me that post really bad content but gets over 2k with minimal advertising,
its frustrating on how much time it took me to make the videos to just not grow at all after i advertsed it.
Pls help me, any advice would be appreciated, i dont hope for a sudden growth overnight but just a noticeable growth to motivate me to continue what im doing.
I really love to continue youtube, but i feel betrayed by YouTube being dumped over by low quality content from other content creators
Dear,
It takes time to grow a channel! You have 7 video's and already 24 subs.
It took me one and a half year to get 100 Subs.
3 Years later, I have over 500 subs and over 200 video's
I am happy to have one subscriber per day.
So keep creating good video's, try to improve your editing style with every video.

Enjoy creating Youtube vids.
Otto