• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Opinion Panasonic DCG9 Sleeper Camera

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, man. From what I understand the G9 is their photo-centric camera. Panasonic makes purpose specific cameras now:

GH5 = hybrid photo/video camera
GH5S = video-centric camera that can shoot photos in a pinch
G9 = photo-centric cameras that can shoot video in a pinch

So things are going back to the way they were, really. One camera can't really do it all without compromise. There are some real professionals photographers using the G9. They could have called it the GH5R. My guess was the G9's bigger body gave them a chance to test a full-frame body without having to go full-frame sensor until they were ready.

Reactions: kunicross
OP
OP
TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, man. From what I understand the G9 is their photo-centric camera. Panasonic makes purpose specific cameras now:

GH5 = hybrid photo/video camera
GH5S = video-centric camera that can shoot photos in a pinch
G9 = photo-centric cameras that can shoot video in a pinch

So things are going back to the way they were, really. One camera can't really do it all without compromise. There are some real professionals photographers using the G9. They could have called it the GH5R. My guess was the G9's bigger body gave them a chance to test a full-frame body without having to go full-frame sensor until they were ready.

I like the G9's video and it's suprising good. I think it'll be interesting to see what their newer lines do/look like :D

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I hadn't realized they had lowered the price! I mean dang! That is a sleeper. Guess they're lowering prices now before the other cameras hit market.

I like that the G9 has a much bigger body. I have big hands, and I think companies need to get off trying to make everything so small. The heat dissipation and processing power a bigger body can bring and pack in is a good thing.

OP
OP
TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I hadn't realized they had lowered the price! I mean dang! That is a sleeper. Guess they're lowering prices now before the other cameras hit market.

I like that the G9 has a much bigger body. I have big hands, and I think companies need to get off trying to make everything so small. The heat dissipation and processing power a bigger body can bring and pack in is a good thing.

I agree! I might get the gh5, but that g9 is beautiful!

kunicross

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal

I think portability is a big point - I don't regularly carry my big camera around any more because for most situations the cellphone does work about as good out on the road. (especially with having to carry the kids and their stuff as well.. ;))

Reactions: TubeBuddy and Damon