Seeking Advice Meta Tag advice

Kimtana

Newbie Member
Hey everyone! It's been a while since I was last here, in the midst of moving and that's taken ALL of my non-job working time. But I have to say, since getting TubeBuddy, my channel has grown by...um...math not strong suit...uh...a lot! I went from 35 subs when I started TubeBuddy to 91 today! :D

I do have one question that I haven't found proper good answers for regarding meta tags.

Some say to make tags of single words increases your chances of being seen. Others say, no! Be specific, and use full phrases. Some say order doesn't matter, others say best tags first!

So which is it? What is the best way I can utilize my tags so that people see me?! lol

Damon

TubeBuddy User
Longtail keywords that rank good/green in the Tag Explorer. This is how I do it:
  1. Find about 5 to 10 longtail keywords that rank in the green in the Tag Explorer.
  2. Use this as a basis for a three to eight video playlist.
  3. For each video in that playlist insert the tags into the tag box.
  4. Write a blog-style post in the description using said tags.
  5. Include one main tag in the title.
  6. Do this for every video in the series.
  7. If you have additional videos in the future for this series, add as necessary;
  8. Save groups of tags to a specific Tag List in TubeBuddy. This way it's copy paste from here on out.
  9. Once you flesh out a playlist like this, start a second playlist on a different set of longtail keywords phrases and repeat.
  10. Over the course of year or two, about every quarter look at analytics to see which playlists, keywords phrases and videos are getting the most view, responses and subscribers.
  11. Make more videos along the lines of the more successful video. Forget the ones that didn't do well. Your life is better spent doing other things.
  12. Start at step one and do this whole thing over again.
Once you have four or five longtail keywords phrases, get to work shooting videos on that topic. Focus on the content, not keyword tricks. Most people have good enough keywords and keyword phrases; their content lacks big time. Think in terms of playlists-per-keyword- phrase-group, not what's-the-best-way-to-use-keywords-for-just-one-video.

Last edited:

Snowyamur

Newbie Member
This is how I usually order my tags when I type them up for every video:

Order of Tag Categories:
  1. Specific
  2. Specific-Compound
  3. Compound
  4. Generic
  5. Generic-Compound
  6. Game-Specific

Specific keywords are those that are usually single-worded, and they can be your channel name, a genre, or a brand. These should be at the very top of the list because if someone searches a specific word relevant to your videos, your channel, or your brand, your content is more likely to be found.

Generic keywords are single-worded, and as per their name, they are very general words that fall under one huge category. An example of a generic keyword would be "Gameplay," which would primarily fall under videogames and gameplay videos of them.

Compound keywords are multi-worded, and they combine with specific or generic categories. These are keywords that are most likely going to be typed into a search bar and primarily consist of video titles and information.

Game is only relevant if you're video is about a videogame. Don't consider this as a tag category otherwise.

People would suggest going specific with tags, or be general, and the answer to your question about which way to go is that it is determinant.

Think of tags as words a user would type up in YouTube's search bar. If someone typed up my channel name "snowyamur," my channel automatically shows up. This is because most of my videos have the specific tag "snowyamur," so the volume of results would fall under my channel brand. When thinking about what tags to use for your videos, think about what your audience might search for on YouTube, and tailor to that.

If you do gameplay videos, consider tags like "[videogame name] gameplay," [videogame name] playthrough," or "[videogame name] part #." These three tags are basic search tags that people are likely going to type, and you can test the volume of results by typing up a game name + gameplay, playthrough, or part # and see what you get.

Dealing with tags and keywords on YouTube is a matter of trial and error, and going completely specific or generic won't do much help when it comes to search volume; you have to use a little of both. I'd suggest using TubeBuddy's tool for tag-rankings because their results and data are quite accurate when it comes to search results by search tag relevance.