Need Advice Difficult for New YouTubers to Gain an Audience?

OP
OP
Snowyamur

Snowyamur

Subscriber Goal
What would you define as your ideal audience? :D
That's a good question @Andrew.

For me, my ideal audience would be those who enjoy videogames not only as entertainment, but art as well. Some of my videos for videogames such as We Happy Few and Darkwood, from time to time, I comment on the art-style, aesthetics, game design, concept, story, characters, etc. of the videogame I'm playing. Sometimes, what I say eventually becomes like an in-game review of the game in-play, and that's added alongside the gameplay without deciding to have it in my video beforehand. Doing this allows my gameplay commentary and gameplay itself to feel more natural and not forced so as to desperately attract a larger audience.

I try to cater to people who don't have anything to do and want to watch someone play videogames and enjoy them as "entertainment objects," but sometimes, I feel that I need to tackle a more entertaining-aspect because if I put myself in the shoes of my audience, I would wonder how I would feel if I watched others play videogames. Using what I learned from doing that, I could better understand how I make my gameplay videos, focusing on how long they should be, what would the audience prefer seeing should I compare one clip to another, and what games have not been showcased on YouTube yet, and take that as an opportunity to expand my audience among those who look for videogames to play, but can't find any, or don't know where to start.

When it comes to catering towards an audience, it's definitely important to first decide what you want your audience to be, because once you attract that audience, they will likely remain your only audience for the entirety of your YouTube career. After long hours and painful days of work making videos, once you attain an audience, the next thing to focus on is loyalty, and that comes from defining who you are as a public figure among those whom you've intrigued, and from there, you have to decide the next step.

It's your YouTube channel; you make the choices.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
It's your YouTube channel; you make the choices.
I agree! I actually on my gaming channel found that games I would try and stuck (Far Cry Series) as an example, lead me to try other games based on recommended I ended up loving. I say my channel is 80/20. 80% games I want to try/play 20% recommended, and that's lead me to a great bit of growth and understanding!

I love your answer and I think it's well defined! What is the reason you created a YouTube channel specifically? :) Sorry just like the conversation!

OP
OP
Snowyamur

Snowyamur

Subscriber Goal
I agree! I actually on my gaming channel found that games I would try and stuck (Far Cry Series) as an example, lead me to try other games based on recommended I ended up loving. I say my channel is 80/20. 80% games I want to try/play 20% recommended, and that's lead me to a great bit of growth and understanding!

I love your answer and I think it's well defined! What is the reason you created a YouTube channel specifically? :) Sorry just like the conversation!
Another welcomed question.

Well, I originally created my YouTube channel to help out HeLLsGamers, a multi-gaming community I'm a part of and volunteer/ work for as part of the Community Outreach team. My job is to provide the community more publicity and outreach through social media outlets. YouTube, Twitch, and others. Basically, I'm hoping that if my channel grows, I could better fulfill my role as outreach because I can reach out to loyal others and have them check out our community. Plus, having a reputable channel makes it easier on me to publicly spread word about HeLLsGamers.

However, my channel has not been growing as well, so next to using it to support my gaming community, I currently use YouTube, alongside Twitch, to make content for when I have nothing to do and need something somewhat productive to do. Through YouTube, I've gained another set of skills in areas such as video editing, entertainment, audio encoding, etc., and all of these are skills that I find beneficial and useful for what I do.

My goal with YouTube is not to become some huge YouTube star like PewDiePie, Markiplier, Jacksepticeye, and others, for YouTube is not my full-time job; it's another productive use of my time. YouTube allows me to make productive and entertaining use of the time I spend every day playing videogames because while I play, I make content, and now I have something else on my plate that I can reference to when I look back on the skills I attained in my lifetime.

I like to do what I do on YouTube, and I'm no longer desiring to do YouTube for the sake of "getting big" or attaining a huge audience; I've accepted the fact that I may not grow as big, but at least I'm doing something sort-of productive. Through YouTube, I've learned so much about entertainment, media and video production, audio recording, etc., and I find that more worthwhile to get out of all this than getting a bunch of subscribers, some of which could leave at a moment's notice.

So, that's my reasoning. I like YouTube because I can learn from it, but it isn't my main job. I'm studying at a university right now to earn my degree and have a successful life; that's my main goal, but YouTube, next to Twitch, will always be the origins of some skills that I've attained over time. That's why I continue making YouTube content despite all these difficulties.

LoneDespair

New User
That's good to hear, and I do that, too. However, having an audience that comments and critiques the content I make helps me to improve what I produce n' provide because that way, I can better cater towards the audience I desire to attract.
I feel yah bro my channel ain't growing too :( but i do agree with @richard try to cut videos to 7-15 mins as nobody would watch a 30mins vid unless its a movie,story or animations, and try to add some jokes to keep the viewer's entertained but i can't advise any further as my channel is also not Growing

Mamajagger

New User
Subscriber Goal
Crank out content for two or three years, then ask this question. Yes, I know of one channel that started this summer and now have over 300k, :eek: , but that doesn't mean that I should be growing that fast. You can't compare yourself to other YouTube channels. Two months is not enough time.

The real test is are you willing to do this over the long haul without seeing much result? Just how important is your base content? Do you have enough life experience to offer something new and fresh? Can you do something other than video games like basket making, burp on demand, draw, build kites, skateboard, tree climb, lift weights, regurgitate on demand, build computers, paint, cut grass, wash dishes, cook, eat, ride bicycles, hiking, camping, mountain climbing, mountain biking, fishing, hunting, sports, engineering, building, carpentry, plumbing, dry walling, pipe fitting, writing, gardening, auto repair, tree trimming?

What real life skills have you developed that will make the world a less depressing for the human race? (A better place is what people would normally say, but that's so cliche.)

Do you have any interests other than videos games, things you've always wanted to learn? If the world were perfect, what would you do? (If video games is your answer, then you've missed the point.)

Sadly I don't see enough life experience in most people videos. No real life, school of hard knocks, dirt chewing, grit toothed life experience meant to help people take the :poop:, :skull:, :eyes: and :imp: out of life. If you can do that then you have something to :sun:, :party:, :idea:, :zzz:, :heart: about. When you have that, then you will gain subscribers over time. Maybe not even a big audience, but a dedicated audience nonetheless.
I love what you are saying and agree. Good Advice. I started my channel 2 months ago and I think the same way. It takes time

EV Nick

TubeBuddy User
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
trick as a new tuber is never compare to other channels there were other channels similar to mine slightly different trending niche MASSIVE surge overtook all my subs and views.

However 9 months on i've overtook 1 and gaining on the other.

Ronnieleeeee

New User
TubeBuddy User
I'm doing my best to not give up either cause I know it's tough but over time the more you do your best and be consistent, you can only grow. I'm almost my year into Youtube and I'm at 141 subs and my videos jump from 100-200+ views, sometimes even less, but that means you have to keep going and try new things. I know I don't have the most subs and views but just giving my point of view. Don't give up!!