• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Audio Gear Suggestions for a good mic under $100

Timelord Miff

www.darkrealmer.site
Subscriber Goal
I'm looking to improve the sound quality of my vids and would appreciate any advice and or links to desktop mics priced at under $100.
My Logitech C920 cam has good picture quality but the sound is not the best.

Reactions: TubeBuddy

Dronelander

Recognized Member
I would suggest you to spend more money on camera and light than microphone.
For the complete kit I've spent:

Clip microphone 9.99Γé¼ From Amazon
Light 27.99Γé¼ from Amazon
Once of the camera I'm using is a 4K action cam: 67Γé¼ from Banggood

For about 105Γé¼ you will dramatically increase your video

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Drone, you have a good overall point. There is a lot you can do these days with $100. And any kind of external microphone will dramatically increase the audio.

However, coming from a music background, I argue the opposite. Get the sound right. Some many YouTube videos have horrid audio. I don't care how awesome the images, how slow the slow-mo is, if it sounds like junk, I'm gone. Trying to get the audio right even with his current camera is a wise choice.

For my voiceover work, I use a Sennheiser e835. This is an XLR microphone. It would require some method of getting the signal form XLR to USB since you are wanting it for desktop. There are many XLR microphones in the sub-$99 range that would give you and awesome sound.

OP
OP
Timelord Miff

Timelord Miff

www.darkrealmer.site
Subscriber Goal

Thanks so much for this info.
Could you supply the make and models of the clipo mic,light and camera you use.
It will make it so much easier knowing I'm using the same equipment recommended by a you tuber :)
--- Post updated ---
Drone, you have a good overall point. There is a lot you can do these days with $100. And any kind of external microphone will dramatically increase the audio.

However, coming from a music background, I argue the opposite. Get the sound right. Some many YouTube videos have horrid audio. I don't care how awesome the images, how slow the slow-mo is, if it sounds like junk, I'm gone. Trying to get the audio right even with his current camera is a wise choice.

For my voiceover work, I use a Sennheiser e835. This is an XLR microphone. It would require some method of getting the signal form XLR to USB since you are wanting it for desktop. There are many XLR microphones in the sub-$99 range that would give you and awesome sound.
Thanks so much Damon,
Having someone with a musical background is certainly a blessing in helping with audio. I'll do a search for XLR microphones, any special specs to be aware of for best sound?

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Most any XLR dynamic microphone in the $100 range will be well attenuated for voice, you won't need phantom power, and they don't pick up a lot of room noise like more powerful microphones. They are most often used in live performance situations like comedy, public speaking or live music concerts.

Just search a bunch of YouTube reviews. The main microphone in this range that is sort of the gold standard is the Sure SM58. This microphone doesn't have enough high end for my nasally voice. That's why I chose the e835 from Sennheiser. The same price point, but much better high end response so I don't sound like Darth Vader with a head cold, lol!.

Last edited:
Reactions: GearVlogz

Dronelander

Recognized Member
View: https://youtu.be/ax5rchE8kgE
--- Post updated ---
Thanks so much for this info.
Could you supply the make and models of the clipo mic,light and camera you use.
It will make it so much easier knowing I'm using the same equipment recommended by a you tuber :)
--- Post updated ---

Thanks so much Damon,
Having someone with a musical background is certainly a blessing in helping with audio. I'll do a search for XLR microphones, any special specs to be aware of for best sound?

If you check on any video description in my channel, at the end you will find all equipment used
--- Post updated ---
Most any XLR dynamic microphone in the $100 range will be well attenuated for voice, you won't need phantom power, and they don't pick up a lot of room noise like more powerful microphones. They are most often used in live performance situations like comedy, public speaking or live music concerts.

Just search a bunch of YouTube reviews. The main microphone in this range that is sort of the gold standard is the Sure SM58. This microphone doesn't have enough high end for my nasally voice. That's why I chose the e835 from Sennheiser. The same price point, but much better high end response so I don't sound like Darth Vader with a head cold, lol!.

I'm seriously doing a mess with message qquote :)

anyway, this is a video made by myself with a crap handmade microphone

View: https://youtu.be/p4joVu8yzQY

and this one with a 10Γé¼ clip microphone connected to my iphone and merged in production

Audio is not so bad

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
Timelord Miff

Timelord Miff

www.darkrealmer.site
Subscriber Goal

Thanks so much Damon,
Having someone with a musical background is certainly a blessing in helping with audio. I'll do a search for XLR microphones, any specia
--- Post updated ---

If you check on any video description in my channel, at the end you will find all equipment used
--- Post updated ---

I'm seriously doing a mess with message qquote :)

anyway, this is a video made by myself with a crap handmade microphone

View: https://youtu.be/p4joVu8yzQY

and this one with a 10Γé¼ clip microphone connected to my iphone and merged in production

Audio is not so bad
--- Post updated ---
thanks for sharing this comparison.
--- Post updated ---

Thanks so much for those make and models Damon.

miryagmakeup

Subscriber Goal

Which items/models are you referring to?

miryagmakeup

Subscriber Goal
spend on mic before cam, most users won't watch a video with bad audio but will happily watch a video with poor video and great sound quality.

Very good point and very true. A good, seperat, voice and video recording program would be a great idea as well since the one built into Windows can and usually will distort the audio.
--- Post updated ---
Could you tell me the make of the camera, mic and light please?

This is what I'm curious about too.
I have noticed that most, that require an external good quality mic, typically go with the RODE brand. The clip on mics, are actually pretty inexpensive.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
The best lav mic you can get for the money is a Giant Squid: [not an affiliate link]

$50, dude: https://darren-nemeth.squarespace.com/

This guy used to make these by hand, but now he has a manufacturer making them so it won't take so long to ship out. Best way to get one in on Amazon, the first link. Good audio quality and the easiest microphone I have ever used--This is coming from a old musician. I get a more consistent sound with this microphone than any other microphone I have.

Syncing audio with video in post production slows me down too much! I abandoned the dark side a long time ago and chose the light side of the Force, lol: https://beachtek.com/product/dxa-micro-pro/ This using will sync audio and video in camera but give you a much better audio signal just like on the cinema cameras.

Reactions: Bitbat
OP
OP
Timelord Miff

Timelord Miff

www.darkrealmer.site
Subscriber Goal
The best lav mic you can get for the money is a Giant Squid: [not an affiliate link]

$50, dude: https://darren-nemeth.squarespace.com/

This guy used to make these by hand, but now he has a manufacturer making them so it won't take so long to ship out. Best way to get one in on Amazon, the first link. Good audio quality and the easiest microphone I have ever used--This is coming from a old musician. I get a more consistent sound with this microphone than any other microphone I have.

Syncing audio with video in post production slows me down too much! I abandoned the dark side a long time ago and chose the light side of the Force, lol: https://beachtek.com/product/dxa-micro-pro/ This using will sync audio and video in camera but give you a much better audio signal just like on the cinema cameras.
Thanks for those links Damon. Would I be able to plug this into my PC audio jack?

Bitbat

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I bought a used mic called a Blue Yeti snowball, 2018 model, for under $100. It works good, and i recommend it for podcasts.
It's also multi-purpose, meaning that there are multiple modes on the mic. I recommend the heart shaped mode because it provides equal sound and blocks out the majority of the noise.