YouTube News Is SEO worth my time?

EplxPro

New User
I run a gaming channel I try and Make the best videos as I can. Sometimes my videos get 0 views even with me ranking in SEO. Sometimes I Feel that the SEO does not work. How should I keep trying and Tagging or should I just stop doing it?

EV Nick

TubeBuddy User
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Tags are less important than creators think, that was direct from google's mouth, they are used for miss spelled words that sound or look the same as keywords you want.
I use my tags to find out if am ranking for a phase i need, its fine ranking for an SEO phase but if no one search's it and your thumbnails are rubbish then you won't get clicks.

SEO is important but you need to get thumbnails with good clickable pictures and titles also.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Tags are less important than creators think, that was direct from google's mouth, they are used for miss spelled words that sound or look the same as keywords you want.
I use my tags to find out if am ranking for a phase i need, its fine ranking for an SEO phase but if no one search's it and your thumbnails are rubbish then you won't get clicks.

SEO is important but you need to get thumbnails with good clickable pictures and titles also.
YouTube has given multiple answers on this. The one I believe the most, and have data to support is that Titles, Descriptions, and Tags are all one part of a whole. Individually they don't matter, but together they do. YouTube has even said in their own creator academy they matter, but then don't back it. All I know, is that small channels rely on search engine optimization, which tags play a part of to stand out and rank. Not focusing on tags doesn't help your videos at all. I've ranked for videos that are VERY Competitive, because I have made content that is well optimized in title, description, and tags. Not only on TB, but on my personal channel. Tag research helped me do that.

My personal channel started at 480 subs a year ago and is at 2,100 that's mostly due to tag research, and optimization. It does matter.

Damon

TubeBuddy Pro
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Alright I'm not sure why people confuse SEO with tags. Just because you load up your tags with recommendation or keywords phrases you find doesn't mean you'll rank for anything like others have been saying. The keyword phrases have to be in your tags, in your description, in your title, in the metadata of your video and thumbnail, and even in your comments section.

It isn't spam a bunch of words in the tags. That is not SEO. You description needs to read like a blog post with every keywords written in prose so it flows naturally. Pick your main keywords phrase to incorporate into your title. Pick one keywords phrase to include in your first comment post. Be sure the file name of your video includes your target keyword phrase. Be sure your thumbnail has it as well.

Even so if you do all that, if your content isn't worth watching it won't matter. That a question i don't see many people asking: "Is my content lacking."

You may be making the best content you can, but what if that isn't good enough? Even Steven Spielberg is still perfecting his craft. How many books or classes have you taken on video production? Videography? Cinematography? Photography? TV production? Scriptwriting? All that. We have a century of lessons learned on how to capture and hold people attention with motion picture. Sadly I hardly see any YouTuber learn and master the basics of the craft.

It doesn't matter if you have a cellphone camera or an Epic Red Dragon. See SEO cannot overcome that. I don't know if that the case with you, but many channels, the SEO is working perfectly. The content is what's lacking.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
It doesn't matter if you have a cellphone camera or an Epic Red Dragon. See SEO cannot overcome that. I don't know if that the case with you, but many channels, the SEO is working perfectly. The content is what's lacking.
I need to get this framed. HAHA

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Without SEO, it's like playing the lottery with just one ticket. The chances of you winning is next to none. Adding SEO (like the other have said, tags, titles, descriptions, even the CC) can help you a lot in the long run. A video you see might've not done well in the beginning might suddenly get popular over time. Why? Because the SEO helps it stays on top of that search when the searching rises.

I've had plenty of videos hit over 1k overtime because the topic for it started becoming popular and I was on top of the search :]