Seeking Advice long or short tags?

ive been able to find some pretty good tags lately with high search and low competition, one tag for example would be (call of duty ww2 how to fall back) which is sitting at 86 score, now would it be better to enter the tag as is or would it be better to add it like (call) (of) (duty) (how) (to) (fall) (back) breaking up the tag into multiple words making the sentence, any input would be appreciated thanks

Paul

TubeBuddy Star
texturemaster.com
ive been able to find some pretty good tags lately with high search and low competition, one tag for example would be (call of duty ww2 how to fall back) which is sitting at 86 score, now would it be better to enter the tag as is or would it be better to add it like (call) (of) (duty) (how) (to) (fall) (back) breaking up the tag into multiple words making the sentence, any input would be appreciated thanks
I would use the whole long tail tag first. Then break it down:
1) call of duty ww2 how to fall back
2) call of duty ww2
3) call of duty how to fall back
I hope this helps, -Paul

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Long descriptive keyword phrases (AKA TAGS) Think about it this way. If you were looking up "How to install Call of Duty Black Ops 4" How long would it take if you typed it into search "How" one word "To" One word "Install", etc. To find "How to install Call of Duty Black Ops 4? You need to be specific because people search specifically for the content they want! One word keywords don't help you show up in search, so they're not worth including, unless you are a large channel who can compete for them, but even large channels lose competition there CONSTANTLY.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Long descriptive keyword phrases (AKA TAGS) Think about it this way. If you were looking up "How to install Call of Duty Black Ops 4" How long would it take if you typed it into search "How" one word "To" One word "Install", etc. To find "How to install Call of Duty Black Ops 4? You need to be specific because people search specifically for the content they want! One word keywords don't help you show up in search, so they're not worth including, unless you are a large channel who can compete for them, but even large channels lose competition there CONSTANTLY.
See this post @MasterSpy or anything in the thread!

https://community.tubebuddy.com/ind...n-youtube-step-by-step-by-roberto-blake.2463/

EV Nick

TubeBuddy User
www.youtube.com
MIX! i sometimes try rank for some REALLY hard keywords like "Renault" or "Nissan" and ill rank for 2 weeks and drop off but sometimes them short tags stick for example "renault Zoe" highly competitive tag and hard to rank for i have 3 videos showing against some HUGE views so i add a good mix, according to creator insider tags don't matter as much as we all think

Paul

TubeBuddy Star
texturemaster.com
MIX! i sometimes try rank for some REALLY hard keywords like "Renault" or "Nissan" and ill rank for 2 weeks and drop off but sometimes them short tags stick for example "renault Zoe" highly competitive tag and hard to rank for i have 3 videos showing against some HUGE views so i add a good mix, according to creator insider tags don't matter as much as we all think
Yes most definitely!:cool:

why don't tags matter as much as we all think?

Damon

TubeBuddy User
@EV Nick That's like saying to a racer car driver, "Horsepower is not important, that's what the engineer says." Okay I think the competing race team would be happy to have an engineer who doesn't think horsepower matters, lol! Bye! You're FIRED!

Tags do matter, but they are just one component in a much larger picture. They way most people use tags is stupid and won't matter. They way I use tags totally matter because it's part of a larger strategic SEO footprint on everything I do. Tags, description, title, thumbnail, video files, forum posts, blog posts, LinkedIn, Twitter, Patreon and Pinterest, all the I have optimized with keyword phrases that people do click on. It's a fact proven by data in my experience. Most people don't do it extensively in every aspect of their content production, and that's why their tags don't matter. They fail at developing a holistic vision that helps the "algorithm" connect people's searches to the content you produce.

That's why they renamed the Tag Explorer the Keyword Explorer. People were just throwing in tags thinking that was the one magic lottery ticket to a million subs. If that is your strategy, then, yes, it won't matter. That because such people are winning the battles but losing the war so to speak.

Last edited:

EV Nick

TubeBuddy User
www.youtube.com
i didn't say they didn't matter, i said they matter less than people think see posted video, youtube now looks less at tags due to most people putting non related tags in there they spend more time looking at the subtitles and title of the video, however tags can be useful is theres a common spelling misstake for a given word, look at some channels they don't post any tags and they rank really well, some videos do amazing with only 2 tags and no subs so its down to a tier of things.

Thumbs are by far the most important thing and a clear title

Damon

TubeBuddy User
You are correct the tags don't matter as much as we think they do. Tags matter more than we think they do.

The problem with what you said is that the titles, thumbnails, description, blog posts, forum posts and everything else, even the content itself is all derived from the tag (keyword) research I've done. So it is very important and core to what we're doing.

I didn't start ranking at all until started doing all that stuff. The tags form the base of everything I'm doing. Before that I wasn't ranking at all or growing much at all. You may have had a different experience, but for the most of us the tags matter more than we think they do because they are the basis of the content, titles, thumbnails, etc. It's the only way I have to judge the pulse of the marketplace and what people want to watch.

People are looking for some direct and isolated thing with tags which is what I don't understand. The tags inform everything else I'm doing. Therefore they are most important. Titles are derived form the tags. Thumbnails are derived from the tags. The content I shoot is derived from the tags.

I can't and won't and do not compare what I'm doing to other YouTubers, which is something else I don't understand. It doesn't matter if that big YouTuber doesn't use tags. That big YouTuber doesn't pay my rent. The tags touch and influence everything I'm doing, even the more artistic efforts are shaped by what the tags inform.

Last edited:

Paul

TubeBuddy Star
texturemaster.com
i didn't say they didn't matter, i said they matter less than people think see posted video, youtube now looks less at tags due to most people putting non related tags in there they spend more time looking at the subtitles and title of the video, however tags can be useful is theres a common spelling misstake for a given word, look at some channels they don't post any tags and they rank really well, some videos do amazing with only 2 tags and no subs so its down to a tier of things.

Thumbs are by far the most important thing and a clear title
I watched this video the first day it came out. I've also watched many more from different experts and read enough to come to a pretty good idea of the importance of tags. Including from our very own @Andrew. Who I'm very sure will tell you that tags matter when it comes to showing up for search and suggested. Tags make it easier for the AI to know exactly what your video is about. Which allows the AI to easily distribute your video appropriately. Especially if you connect your tags within the first 30 seconds of audio in your video, in the videos title and in the first 200 characters of your description. So look at tags as a small piece to the bigger puzzle of getting your video to where you want it to be on YouTube as we see the platform today.