Seeking Advice What's Your Strategy For Finding Green Tags?

Scott Fichter

Member of the Month
There are many tutorials on how TubeBuddy's tag explorer works, and that's fine for finding tags, but in my opinion, if your tags are not green, they are close to worthless. In other words, if the tags you use don't come up with a rank of one to twenty nobody will find your videos.

Can anyone chime in and provide a tutorial/video/guidance that will help me understand an effective procedure that gets the green tags with the highest amount of click volume? What I've been doing in the past is dumping tons of related tags in my tag window and waiting for the system to show which ones are green then I delete the non-greens till I get to under 500 characters. This method seems ineffective to me. Any guidance would be super helpful. Andrew, do you have a video tutorial that addresses this topic?

Finding relevant green tags with high click volume is the most difficult and time consuming task with the content creation process. Pinning down a working procedure for this task is very important to me and I'm sure I'm note alone.​

Last edited:

DragoNate

TubeBuddy Star
www.youtube.com
Actually, I don't think the green number tag is as significant as it seems. At least simply in and of itself. For example, if I take my last live stream:
Dancing in the minefields S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Yanov Helipad helicopter
I put that in as a tag, it guaranteed shows as a 1 because if you were type that entire thing in to the search, it is an exact match for a huge, long-tail keyword.
However, someone searching for "dancing in the minefields" likely won't find it (easily) because there's 10k other results regarding music (one of my favorite songs, btw :D )
Also, remember, at the bottom underneath the tags box, it shows that the green [x] is "for YOU" on there ;)

Regardless, the green gives you an idea that, for those who that video/tag would be relevant to, it will show pretty high in search :)

OP
OP
Scott Fichter

Scott Fichter

Member of the Month
Nate, yea I think I understand your point. I think your telling me that anyone can get green tags and its easy but if the tag is some obscure long tail tag nobody will search for it. I'll change my language above to reflect this point.

DragoNate

TubeBuddy Star
www.youtube.com
Nate, yea I think I understand your point. I think your telling me that anyone can get green tags and its easy but if the tag is some obscure long tail tag nobody will search for it. I'll change my language above to reflect this point.
No problem, just wanted to mention it. Sorry if I came off a little discouraging there, wasn't my intention :)

To answer the question properly, what I usually do is try to come up with a either a catchy (but relevant) title for the video, and then I build tags off of that. Taking my example from above, I was told that I would have to go through a minefield in the game to get to a certain point (the helicopter) and I immediately though of the song Dancing in the Minefields, so I used it in my title. Catchy, sounds interesting and it's perfectly relevant!
Then I can go with "minefield helicopter" "yanov minefield" and so on and so forth.
This didn't get me too many green tags, but I don't worry too much about it. As long as there's a few, then I'm happy and the non-green are still good for related videos ;)

OP
OP
Scott Fichter

Scott Fichter

Member of the Month
No worries dude. Your initial post did not convey negativity in any way. Yea, I'm with you. I'm happy if I have over three greens but it's rare. What kills me is seeing these tutorials where creators show that EVERY tag (almost every tag) is green. I'm guessing YT gives channels with high sub counts tag preference.

DragoNate

TubeBuddy Star
www.youtube.com
No worries dude. Your initial post did not convey negativity in any way. Yea, I'm with you. I'm happy if I have over three greens but it's rare. What kills me is seeing these tutorials where creators show that EVERY tag (almost every tag) is green. I'm guessing YT gives channels with high sub counts tag preference.
Not sure if it's necessarily high sub counts, or rather higher watch time. Watch time is definitely prioritized, which is the unfortunate reason it's so hard to compete with those guys. They have high watch time, so tags aren't really a problem for them as YT will promote it based on other criteria. Tags for us, however, are extremely important, with no tags, we don't get seen, then we don't get watch time, so we get buried. It's a fine balance I guess.

RonTraveLife

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy Pro
I agree with High Subs + High watch time will get more / most green Tags, Yes because they are watched by many and of course advertisers will be happy if their products will be featured/advertised by those Big YouTubers, this might sound frustrating in some way but, we just have to keep moving, no one knows someday we could be them.

tubebuddy.jpg

Ceorge_Christofi

TubeBuddy Star
I actually tried an experiment. I found one of my videos that had identical subject matter to one that was rated at no 2. I copied all the tags using tb. put them into my video. dropped the ones exclusive to the channel i took them from. His were green numbered according to tb. Mine .. NONE of them were green for exactly the same video subject. The only difference.. I have 300 subs, the other guy has 30,000.

TubeBuddy is frustrating as all heck heh.

There's like no easy way to just FIND THE GREEN TAGS WITH THE HIGHEST SEARCH VOLUME!!

I've taken to using a bunch of offsite tools, but they don't do RANK or YouTube ORGANIC COMPETITION!!

Timbo

TubeBuddy Pro
Sorry, I'm a bit late to the discussion, but here's how I get those tags to turn green. It took me several months to work out how to do it and how to get it to make an impact on any given video. TubeBuddy is my starting point for all of this and with the new Keyword Explorer, has helped me to tighten up everything even more.

You see it's not just about the tags, it's something that has to work across all of the information about your video. The tags, the title, the description, the closed captions, the thumbnail, everything. Relevance is the key. Once every part is relevant to your video then up pop those green tags and up the rankings pops your video.

As you can see we are a small channel, just past 750 subscribers today, but I can get our videos up there alongside those of channels with subscriber bases in their thousands.

First of all, I start with the title. I used to try and come up with alternative titles on the subject of a video so I could try and squeeze in between the videos of the other huge channels. I don't bother doing this anymore, because I know I can bludgeon my video in amongst the big boys because the relevance of my video will be correct. Admittedly title choice is usually easy for us as a fragrance review channel. I put the name of the designer or fragrance house, the name of the fragrance and, usually, say it's a 'review'.

For us, there is often a lag between the release of product between the US and Europe. Sometimes the US get the fragrance first, sometimes it's Europe. So we can be a year ahead of release in one part of the world but just as often we can be a year behind. In the following example from last week, we were a year behind the US so that means many of the bigger channels and the fragrance house themselves had videos out on their product for over a year. You would expect fierce competition for a top twenty ranking? Nah!

Here are the steps I follow.
  1. Video Title
    So the name of the product is Woman by Ralph Lauren. The video title is Ralph Lauren Woman Fragrance Review.

2. Tags
    The first tag is the full title of the video "Ralph Lauren Woman Fragrance Review". I now start to break down that title into the other tags. So we get " Ralph Lauren Woman Fragrance" and "Ralph Lauren Woman" and "Ralph Lauren". Now break the title down in the other direction. Mix the wording before finally substituting the word 'perfume" for "fragrance". I will include the tags in an image below but it won't rank unless I do the remaining steps first.

3. Closed Captions
    Throughout our video, we will constantly keep referring to Ralph Lauren and his new fragrance 'Woman' because obviously, that's what the video is about. Now I go into the closed captions, spell check them and correct the punctuation. The closed captions are THE MOST IMPORTANT part of the process. The captions are the chain that links everything together and keeping it relevant. I download the caption file so I have a ready reference for the next step.

4. Description
    The description is not somewhere to try and sell your viewers something. The description section is where you describe your video. Just that. I build the description based upon the transcript of the closed captions. In fact, I will expand upon the contents of the video and start to create a written article on the subject of the video. I will include links to our other videos. In our video, we will have mentioned the name of similar fragrances and fragrance houses and I include links to any videos we have created about these related fragrances in the description as well as adding them as cards to the video itself.

5. Thumbnail
    Ellie holding the product and a large image of the product itself with minimum wording so 'Ralph Lauren Woman".

6. Description again!
    That article I started writing in the description? It now becomes a full-blown article on our website with additional still images and the video embedded.

7. WAIT
    It can take a couple of days to two weeks to see the tags turn green. But...turn green they do!
    Lauren Tags.jpg
You will notice I also include the occasional 'typo' as a tag!

But if everything matches and is relevant then you will see a difference. Well, we have anyway. It took us a while to work it out but as soon as we started this approach we suddenly started getting many more views, more subscribers and a lot more watch time. As I say it is a fragrance that has been out for a year already but we get the video up there with this approach.

New fragrances are a whole different story...watching how videos on those develop can often be mystifying but I'm slowly piecing together what happens...

DragoNate

TubeBuddy Star
www.youtube.com
TubeBuddy is frustrating as all heck heh.

There's like no easy way to just FIND THE GREEN TAGS WITH THE HIGHEST SEARCH VOLUME!!

I've taken to using a bunch of offsite tools, but they don't do RANK or YouTube ORGANIC COMPETITION!!
TubeBuddy isn't really to blame... It is only a tool that will respond to what you give it. It won't do things for you and it's not some kind of AI.
Have you ever seen that little blurb at the bottom of your tags box, underneath the box? What is says:
for you.JPG

Click on the "*For you"

Nick Nimmin

TubeBuddy Legend
tubertools.com
I don't go for only green tags. Having green tags is great but I'm mainly trying to nail a specific keyword phrase with the additional tags to support that phrase...and sometimes they also rank well. I go with the TubeBuddy suggestions + anything I think is relevant + anything that I think is relevant from competing videos. I build everything around relevancy to best tell YouTube (the AI) what my video is about so it can place it where it needs to go. Sometimes the AI puts it in a better place than I was going for and other times I don't quite hit the mark because my video didn't perform well in terms of retention. Remember, tags are not just to help support search rankings but they extend the information of what your video is about. Even though a tag may not be green it may be the one peice of the puzzle that helps connect you to a strong video you can pull suggested traffic from.

Paul

TubeBuddy Star
texturemaster.com
I don't go for only green tags. Having green tags is great but I'm mainly trying to nail a specific keyword phrase with the additional tags to support that phrase...and sometimes they also rank well. I go with the TubeBuddy suggestions + anything I think is relevant + anything that I think is relevant from competing videos. I build everything around relevancy to best tell YouTube (the AI) what my video is about so it can place it where it needs to go. Sometimes the AI puts it in a better place than I was going for and other times I don't quite hit the mark because my video didn't perform well in terms of retention. Remember, tags are not just to help support search rankings but they extend the information of what your video is about. Even though a tag may not be green it may be the one peice of the puzzle that helps connect you to a strong video you can pull suggested traffic from.
Great strategy Nick! :cool: