Official YouTube testing a few new features. Thoughts?

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
I somewhat agree with people in the twitter thread. It'd be nice if they tell you that you were selected and let you opt-out if you don't want to be a part of the experiment, but then that'd mean a good majority of people would say no. I'd be frustrated to have my thumbnails changed all of the sudden because that could hurt my videos. Other than that, what can you do? :F

Paul

TubeBuddy Legend
texturemaster.com
Subscriber Goal
We are running a small experiment where 0.3% of viewers will see an auto-generated thumbnail, instead of your custom thumbnail. We are not removing the ability to create your custom thumbnail, but we hope to gain insights on auto-generated thumbnails for the future.
Not liking this at all! The one thing is that YouTube is really good at picking videos for viewers to watch. Maybe they'll be really good at picking the perfect thumbnail. Lately, I've been using the suggested thumbnail from YT. Except I enhance it and throw my branded logo on it using the TubeBuddy Thumbnail Generator.
tubebuddy-screnshot-thumbnails.PNG

This screenshot above is from my YT video edit page showing suggested thumbnails and the bottom one is my custom thumbnail.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I somewhat agree with people in the twitter thread. It'd be nice if they tell you that you were selected and let you opt-out if you don't want to be a part of the experiment, but then that'd mean a good majority of people would say no. I'd be frustrated to have my thumbnails changed all of the sudden because that could hurt my videos. Other than that, what can you do? :F
I like the opt out option, but why not just let some of us sign up for a beta? That way we are WILLINGLY doing it :)

DragoNate

TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
I think it's stupid. What benefit could it possibly have? YouTube themselves says thumbnails are extremely important as it is the first thing people see and can highly influence someone to click or scroll away, assuming it even catches their eye to begin with.
Now they auto generate and are likely going to be garbage? Really?

The only benefit I can possibly see with this is to remove (terrible/lying) clickbait thumbnails. That's it. But some people spend a lot of time and effort on a single thumbnail, so this makes that effort wasted. Not to mention how it actually hurts artists because some people pay others to make thumbnails for them. So yay!

Yes, they're being more "transparent" but also chaotic. With ANY new feature, they have ALWAYS "tested" it with the larger (more important) channels for a few months before rolling it out to everyone. Now they suddenly want to test with everyone at once? And for something stupid, no less.

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I think it's stupid. What benefit could it possibly have? YouTube themselves says thumbnails are extremely important as it is the first thing people see and can highly influence someone to click or scroll away, assuming it even catches their eye to begin with.
Now they auto generate and are likely going to be garbage? Really?

The only benefit I can possibly see with this is to remove (terrible/lying) clickbait thumbnails. That's it. But some people spend a lot of time and effort on a single thumbnail, so this makes that effort wasted. Not to mention how it actually hurts artists because some people pay others to make thumbnails for them. So yay!

Yes, they're being more "transparent" but also chaotic. With ANY new feature, they have ALWAYS "tested" it with the larger (more important) channels for a few months before rolling it out to everyone. Now they suddenly want to test with everyone at once? And for something stupid, no less.
For people that don't use custom thumbnails, which is a lot of people who just upload a video. It's WORTH getting them better, but I think this video pretty much displays what I want:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5jxF9uMgKo

DragoNate

TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
For people that don't use custom thumbnails, which is a lot of people who just upload a video. It's WORTH getting them better, but I think this video pretty much displays what I want:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5jxF9uMgKo
Yes, it really comes down to a terrible lack of communication. That's honestly my main issue. So many things are now "opt in" or "opt out" but when it comes to "experiments" YouTube is like "nah, no one needs to know. everything is fine." They know how important channels are to their creators and that for a lot of them, their channel is quite literally their life and they would be living on the streets if they lost it all of a sudden and couldn't get it back, or if everything went terribly wrong. This is something that can hurt business if implemented incorrectly. They really need to be telling people about things before they do it and, as he says, giving a choice to opt in or out.
It just feels like they don't think about things in advance but just go ahead and do whatever, whenever. It's sloppy.

EplxPro

New User
How would this auto-generated thumbnail work with gamers? That's My big question. Its not like there computer is 100% knowing of what is going on in the video.

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
How would this auto-generated thumbnail work with gamers? That's My big question. Its not like there computer is 100% knowing of what is going on in the video.
YouTube tries to find faces in thumbnails, so if you're a gamer it will look for a face. That's what they focus on :)