• Guest FORUM patch notes JUNE! Click Here to learn more!

Seeking Advice How long did it take to find your style?

geraldjames

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
I've only got 9 videos so far and was just wondering how long it took for everyone to really find the style of videos that they were comfortable with.

I have changed so many things from my 1st video right up to my latest! I'm still trying to find the right balance and finding the right video that best suits my personality to connect with a broader audience.

For example, I'm so picky to what should come before the actual content and after the content.
How I should introduce the video and how I should end the video!

Those are just a few things I think/conscious of when I'm editing.

Reactions: Core Freedom

Life Effects

TubeBuddy Star
I am at 35 videos and I am stll working on it. At least I still try to polish different things like audio, virtual set, overall quality.

In terms of finding a general direction where the channel should go - that was about video #24 after about 10 month of doing youtube. In my opinion the process of refining your content never ends.

venrooy

New User
Also be sure you're checking your analytics, specifically the audience retention on each video. There may be parts of the video that actually makes your audience disappear. My first videos had a longer intro, and 3/4 of my audience would disappear before I could get through it. Now I try to make my intros as short as possible.

Reactions: Life Effects

Life Effects

TubeBuddy Star
Also be sure you're checking your analytics, specifically the audience retention on each video. There may be parts of the video that actually makes your audience disappear. My first videos had a longer intro, and 3/4 of my audience would disappear before I could get through it. Now I try to make my intros as short as possible.
I can second that! First 5 Seconds descide if your viewers stay

Reactions: venrooy
OP
OP
geraldjames

geraldjames

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
I found my current "Style" a bit after I completed a few projects. However, it's important to remember that styles can change, and that is ok.
Do you think my 2min videos are too fast/much of a niche? Sorry to ask, but I don't know if I should keep uploading these 2min movie reviews cause they take a lot of time to edit and make when I can just do normal ones.

Andrew

Superman
Administrator
youtube.com
Do you think my 2min videos are too fast/much of a niche? Sorry to ask, but I don't know if I should keep uploading these 2min movie reviews cause they take a lot of time to edit and make when I can just do normal ones.
I don't think fast reviews are too niche, if you are doing movies that could literally be any genre you want it to be. I would say they are a bit fast, but try to find a balance between speed and a good review. Here is an example of someone I think does it well:

Reactions: geraldjames

Aaron

At home I'm a little bit more monotone and quiet in my videos mainly. If I'm not, I'm generally getting noise complaints from neighbors or family... Its also why I've yet to do any videos with my guitar which some of my friends know I actually a pretty decent rhythm guitar player. Even planning to get a new guitar soon <3 PRS.

On the other hand if you listen to me away from home for example: Andrew's VidCon vlog, Ikerot's AX Vlog, Radio (I'm on a weekly show for local radio), or when I do teaching/guest speaking I'm an entirely different type of person in those situations which often makes for much better content. I look forward to eventually start making videos in a private studio that will give me a lot more control and options with content to essentially be as loud as I feel like.

Ikerot

Not a mod
Ikerot.com
I've done youtube for a good while now (around 2014) and honestly... I still haven't really found a style. I got a platform I can stand on and produce, but I'm still trying to improve on it so it could be better.

I'm still stiff when I record myself and the only time I do find myself to be myself are my outside vlogs.

Core Freedom

Newbie Member
Great questions and awesome feedback. I have over 300 videos and still haven't found my style. o_O I'm not so much interested in find my style as I want to get clear with my branding, which I'm still unsure about as well. :eek: And even so, my channel is growing and I'm confident that style and branding will make themselves clear at just the right time.

I've only got 9 videos so far and was just wondering how long it took for everyone to really find the style of videos that they were comfortable with.

I have changed so many things from my 1st video right up to my latest! I'm still trying to find the right balance and finding the right video that best suits my personality to connect with a broader audience.

For example, I'm so picky to what should come before the actual content and after the content.

--- Post updated ---

You need to know what you like. What's your passion. By doing a topic that you are passion with, it will be easier to make your videos. I love gardening and to me is super easy to make videos 3 to 4 times a week. When you do it with a subject that you love, Ideas will run through your head. To me this is the most important part before you start your channel
--- Post updated ---
--- Post updated ---

You need to know what you like. What's your passion. By doing a topic that you are passion with, it will be easier to make your videos. I love gardening and to me is super easy to make videos 3 to 4 times a week. When you do it with a subject that you love, Ideas will run through your head. To me this is the most important part before you start your channel

rmenga4

Newbie Member
I started YouTubing back in 2007, and after 5 years, I have found my style by doing Logo Bloopers, and to this day, I'm still doing it!

OP
OP
geraldjames

geraldjames

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Great questions and awesome feedback. I have over 300 videos and still haven't found my style. o_O I'm not so much interested in find my style as I want to get clear with my branding, which I'm still unsure about as well. :eek: And even so, my channel is growing and I'm confident that style and branding will make themselves clear at just the right time.
I guess asking this type of question when I'm only 9 videos in seems a bit of a mountain to climb! But then again, there are no rules to growing and being successful on YouTube, so long as you enjoy the content you produce, it will show on screen. :)

Core Freedom

Newbie Member
I totally agree, Gerald. I think it also comes down to personality type. I love change and dislike monotony. I get bored easily, especially when I have to repeat myself. Others need that type of security and they thrive on repetition and consistency. Knowing ones own personality and what makes us happy, is essential. Otherwise that "fed up-ness" shines through in the videos. I'm sure I'll reinvent my style, my videos and my mission a few more times in life. It's a good thing since it's not a race. ;)

Reactions: nerycolon1

Branden Morales

New User
I've done youtube for a good while now (around 2014) and honestly... I still haven't really found a style. I got a platform I can stand on and produce, but I'm still trying to improve on it so it could be better.

I'm still stiff when I record myself and the only time I do find myself to be myself are my outside vlogs.
I totally agree with you mate! Been on youtube around the same time

Reactions: Ikerot

bobtoronto

Newbie Member
I can second that! First 5 Seconds descide if your viewers stay
I absolutely agree. I like to be sure to do something very weird in the first five seconds. I've been pleased that, although my following is veeery low, my audience retention is surprisingly good! Lots of quick cuts and lots and lots of energy. And hell, if my energy isn't great that day, I make that part of the story lol.

ShuriBear

TubeBuddy User
It took me 6 Best/Funny Moments to define the style of the channel. Then I realised I wanted to make high edited videos instead of just pure gaming. This way I hope to get a little more entertainment value out of it.

I've done something like 87 videos now (although not all of them are in the video game cover music genre), but if I look back at my videos, it took me around 50 or so before I really got into my current style. I'm still working on execution, but the basic concept is now basically solidified

OP
OP
geraldjames

geraldjames

Newbie Member
TubeBuddy User
Also, does anyone look back to old videos and just wish the DELETE button was easier to press so that you can hide them?! lol

Will deleting old videos hurt your channel?
--- Post updated ---
I've done something like 87 videos now (although not all of them are in the video game cover music genre), but if I look back at my videos, it took me around 50 or so before I really got into my current style. I'm still working on execution, but the basic concept is now basically solidified
Yeah I think Its a learning process and I'm currently at a place where I'm pretty comfortable with my videos at the moment but things will no doubt change.