• Guest - we're building a commmunity team! Click Here to learn more!

Search results

1. Shawn Gossman

Channel Review All feedback welcome - Hiking/Outdoors Channel

Hiking with Shawn concentrates on promoting the US Shawnee National Forest and other hiking and outdoor recreational areas in southern Illinois. https://www.youtube.com/c/hikingwithshawn/ Link to my review...
  2. Shawn Gossman

Strategy Are you a small channel that wants to earn revenue?

I always tend to get the urge to write articles when I visit this forum. So here I go again, haha. I think the topic of this article warrants it here on Tube Buddy so that is where it is getting posted! Are you a small channel? Do you want to make money with your channel? If you answered yes...
  3. Shawn Gossman

Seeking Advice I did the next best thing to training a group of carrier pigeons to video my hikes!

I bought a drone... First time drone user. Picked up the new Karma 6 Drone from GoPro. I know there is a lot of other better options but I'm a fan of GoPro and all the review videos made me want one plus the handheld stabilizer is a bonus feature for me. My channel focuses on hiking so getting...
  4. Shawn Gossman

Strategy Getting free gear sent your way...

So in my niche, I cover hiking, a great gear-influenced topic that has a lot of marketing opportunities for companies that want me to sport their stuff. I originally got contacted by an Asia-based company. They wanted to send me their sleeping pads for free in return that I make a video...
  5. Shawn Gossman

Strategy Effective Strategies for Gaining Subscribers on your YouTube Channel

Hello everyone, I am a firm believer that if you have knowledge about something, you should share it with the world so that everyone may rejoice with that awesome knowledge. In part of that statement, I wanted to create an article here on the TubeBuddy community focusing on effective strategies...
  6. Shawn Gossman

Seeking Advice Upgraded from WMM to Vegas...

Hey folks, So I have been using Windows Movie Maker from the start of my YouTube career. It worked but I always knew there wasn't a whole lot I could do with it and that I'd always be limited on a lot of things. So I took a chance and upgraded to Vegas Pro 15. The options, features and settings...
  7. Shawn Gossman

Strategy Daily Uploads!!!

For the past several months, I've been able to maintain an 'every other day' upload strategy. I mainly keep videos scheduled anywhere from 1-2 weeks at a time. Now I have finally decided to start the journey of having daily uploads, one video a day. I'm excited about it and have a lot of ideas...
  8. Shawn Gossman

Strategy Who does collabs?

I just got back from southern MO yesterday after spending about 4 nights on a 26-acre off-grid rural forestry related property of a fellow YouTuber. It was a very awesome time to say the least and helped me make loads of new content for my outdoor-related channel. The property was even once...
  9. Shawn Gossman

Strategy #InventATag Video!

One thing I have noticed that is often popular among the YouTube communities are #tagged videos. This means that someone has tagged you to answer questions. I've been tagged a few times myself and when I tag others, they respond and tag their friends. People want to see what others are saying in...
  10. Shawn Gossman

Strategy Utilizing Facebook Video for YouTube

Facebook has its own video service. You upload clips to Facebook and the social networking giant will turn it into a Facebook hosted video, much like YouTube. Now you might be thinking to yourself, why would I want to use Facebook Video when I am trying to market my YouTube Channel. I can tell...
  11. Shawn Gossman

Technology Best place to get SD cards?

Online, what are the best places to get SD cards for a better deal? SD cards that are bigger in space and capable for HD that is. I spent over $100 on a 128GB card and I think I might had spent way too much. It is rated for 4K but I won't shoot in 4K because not a lot of folks around here have...
  12. Shawn Gossman

Bluffs and Stuff | Garden of the Gods Wilderness | Episode #1

Shot the whole video with the Canon G7X Mark II that I just picked up. Overall, I'm fairly impressed with the camera. It is small, love the flip screen and the built-in image stabilization is pretty impressive. I'll have to look at options for external mics, though.
  13. Shawn Gossman

Stickerboard Shout Outs

In case you all want to start doing stickers, here is my first stickerboard shoutout :)
  14. Shawn Gossman

Strategy Default Descriptions vs. Unique Each Video

Here is a question for you all creators out there :) Do you always include the same description in your videos (minus the bit about what the video is about) to include social links, business inquiries and such content or do you "handcraft" a unique description for each video. In terms of SEO...
  15. Shawn Gossman

Strategy My idea with mystery boxes...

So have any of you ever subscribed to these monthly mystery-type boxes before? In my niche (outdoors etc.) there are many of them. I won't say which one I use because I'm not trying to advertise here but I got this idea about them that I wanted to share in case you want to try it out on your...
  16. Shawn Gossman

Technology Desktop Recording Software Needed

I want to do some tutorials for folks in my niche that will require me to record my desktop as well as input from my mic which is an external Rode Podcaster mic. Any good free and easy to use software out there for recording the desktop? I might be willing to get a paid software as long as it...
  17. Shawn Gossman

Strategy Stickers or other promotional materials

Do any of you have made and send out promotion materials for your channels at all? In the bashcraft/outdoor community on YouTube, many of us are utilizing stickers as marketing items. You have stickers made for your channel and swamp them. Most folks do a 'mail call' or something like that to...
  18. Shawn Gossman

Strategy Growing a Local Channel: The Lessons Ive Learned

So I wanted to contribute some kind of article here on TubeBuddy and decided to touch base on how I have grown my local channel. So to give a bit of background on my channel, I post videos of local-based hiking, backpacking, bushcraft and local historical adventures. I uploaded my first video on...
  19. Shawn Gossman

Strategy Unique Marketing Strategies

Have any of you "experimented" with unique marketing strategies at all? I have a few in mind myself that I am going to try and I always love to hear about how others are doing it as well. A lot of time, gorilla marketing tactics are used. Inexpensive ways to make something go viral if you...
  20. Shawn Gossman

Technology What camera gear do you use?

Figured we needed a good thread where everyone can tell all on the camera gear they are using for their video and vlogging activities on YouTube. I myself am a bit of a camera buff but more entry level as I am still getting the hang of features. I use the following: GoPro Hero 5 Black with...